Thread: Back flushing an EM6910

Back flushing an EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was doing a water backflush on my EM6910 today and it started making a clicking once it reached the optimum pressure on the gauge. The needle on the gauge was also flicking back and forth too.

Just wanted to know if this was normal as it was the first time I had encountered it. It usually doesnt make this noise at all.

A_M

Re: Back flushing an EM6910

Quote Originally Posted by 726E6F756F010 link=1283841645/0#0 date=1283841645
    I was doing a water backflush on my EM6910 today and it started making a clicking once it reached the optimum pressure on the gauge. The needle on the gauge was also flicking back and forth too.

Just wanted to know if this was normal as it was the first time I had encountered it. It usually doesnt make this noise at all.
    Need more info.

1: What is a Water back-flush ?
    2: How was this performed ie. What filter basket / insert etc ?
    3: How often do you do this ?
    4: What is Optimum ? Please give a number such as a position on a clock
    5: Flicking back and forth ? How much 1mm or 10mm ?
    6: When have you last removed teh shower screens and cleans teh two ss screens
    7: When did you last Chemical clean and do a De Scale.
    8: Do you updose / OVERDOSE
    9: What grinder and beans do you use ?

In a nut shell. Sounds like coffee grinds being forced back into the system if I was to make a guess.

Possible outcome = Blocked line leading to the Gauge and Dump Solenoid for release of pressure at the end of a shot.

If not resolved ASAP- Then a good chance this will lead to a service visit and possible $$$ repair. (depending on who your service agent is).

1.I thought a water backflush is when you insert the rubber stopper in an turn on the pump for a few seconds (as opposed to a chemical one where you use the tablet).

2. As above, I used the rubber insert in the double filter basket.

3. I do this 3 times for about 5 seconds.

4. Its just to the right of 12 oclock.

5. about 2-3mm

6. I have yet to clean the shower screens. I have only had the machine for about 3 weeks, and gone through about 500gms of beans.

7. I did a chemical clean with the sunbeam tablet last week after I went through my first 250gm bag of beans, and ran it through the programmed clean cycle. I have yet to do a descale.

8. I do not overdose, at least I dont think so. I havent done the 5 cent test yet, but if I put the portafilter in place and take it out again, there is no indent from the shower screen. After the shot finishes, I can see that the grinds have touched the shower screen, but just barely. There are a few grinds that will stick to the shower screen which I remove by running a double shot without the portafilter attached, and then wiping down and doing a single shot. (I then do the backflush after this).

9. EM480 and currently using Venezian Forza blend. Ground at setting 11.

It is still under warranty so I am hoping it is not going to cost $$$. I understand that these machines can be a bit of a nightmare given other posts in the forum. But I have tried to look after it as best I can, ie not overdosing, cleaning everytime I use it (ie backflushing).

Any help would be much appreciated.

A_M

A: I would never do a water flush in the manner described.

Water for me is a empty group and run hot water and jiggle the group and a wipe out etc . More about the water through the group and helping to flush loose grinds out etc

Chemical is also not the same... There is a program to run and that goes through a process and opens and closed a solenoid or two as well; but again only after cleaning the SS shower screens.

B: 2-3 mm could be the rubber bouncing and or you have some small coffee grinds floating around in teh flow path

C: You say you did a chemical backflush the other week... Did you take teh shower screen off ? If not, then make sure you do it in future...

D: Sounds like ya not OVERdosing... Good :-)

E: Try the 5 cent test to be sure to be sure to be sure..

F: Grinder is OK... Beans I can not comment.. But if old or stale = need finer grind. When ya start getting super fine; it makes it easer for crap to get up and into the system if you overdose as well..

It is usually an accumulation of errors over time and then puft :o

I would say your OK... But take teh shower screens out and check them.. The main shower screen... Will have some coffee dust / stain build up. But teh smaller inner one should not have any on the side that mounts to teh block (very super fine dust may be OK)..

The issue is taht it can build up and or with oils form a gunk... This is then forced up the vent hole and blocks the gauge and teh OPV path way...

Have a look see, take a picture etc and let us know how you go..

Ya should be OK.

Sounds like your doing the water backflush the way I was shown at the sunbeam course.
    Just to build up pressure and then turn off which at that point you would hear a "pssst" sound of a valve releasing into the drip tray.
    I was told to do this at the end of each coffee making session.
    Saying that though I tend to do what AM does and just run water through the group and GH after every session.
    Does the machine seem normal when extracting coffee?
    My machine guage will bounce a fair way when too much pressure is built up.

AngerManagement:
    So I dont need to do a backflush after each session? When running water through using an empty group, does the water level inside the group get high enough to do the wiggle which I understand is done to clean the seal.

Would it be beneficial to run the programmed cleaning cycle after each session without the tablet? (those things seem very expensive btw, do you know if I can use a cheaper alternative?)

I did not take the shower screen off when I did the chemical clean. Should I take it off, clean it, then put it back on before I start the cycle?

Regarding the 5 cent test. I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to do. Do I run the shot with the 5 cent coin on top of the grinds? or do I take it out just to see if it has been pushed down by the shower screen?

Regarding the grinder, yes I find that I need to adjust the grind setting every day. Im looking to do the stepless mod on the em0480 but I didnt want to void the warranty on it.

Shawty:
    Yes the machine seems fine when I extract a shot. The pressure gauge doesnt bounce at all, it just gradually builds up to a certain point (depending on the grind) and stays there until I switch it off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F333228325C0 link=1283841645/5#5 date=1283900787
    So I dont need to do a backflush after each session? When running water through using an empty group, does the water level inside the group gets high enough to do the wiggle which I understand is done to clean the seal.
    No you dont.
    Im not sure if the water get high enough, it might if you were using the double floor basket but I use the single floor and in theory it shouldnt.

Heres the way I did it when using a 6910.
    After making my coffee, remove the handle and run some water through the head.
    This removes the majority of any grinds sticking to the screen.
    Take the dedicated Chux cloth and wipe the screen, making sure to get the sides for any missed grinds. Run some more water through.
    Occasionally wrap a teaspoon handle with the cloth and run it around the seal (gently) and also around the inside of the collar.

Would it be beneficial to run the programmed cleaning cycle after each session without the tablet? (those things seem very expensive btw, do you know if I can use a cheaper alternative?)
    Sounds like a waste of time to me.
    You can use Cafetto. Do a search for how much to use.

I did not take the shower screen off when I did the chemical clean. Should I take it off, clean it, then put it back on before I start the cycle?
    I think AM said that. Makes sense.
    Dont be surprised at how much gunk is still under there even after a chemical clean.

Regarding the 5 cent test. I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to do. Do I run the shot with the 5 cent coin on top of the grinds? or do I take it out just to see if it has been pushed down by the shower screen?
    Take it out just to see if it has been pushed down by the shower screen.

Regarding the grinder, yes I find that I need to adjust the grind setting every day. Im looking to do the stepless mod on the em0480 but I didnt want to void the warranty on it.
    Then dont do the mod.

ThunderGod:

That is pretty much what I do after each session, except I dont use a spoon. After wiping it and running some water through, I then run some water with the group and rubber insert (which I guess I shouldnt be doing from now on).

Regarding the Caffeto, which product should I use to replace the Sunbeam tablets? My understand is that a descaler is different to the cleaning agents in the tablets.

And I will give the 5 cent test the next time I use the machine.

Thanks for all your help guys. I will be sure to bug you further in the future.

A_M

Average coffee can be had any time... Better coffee is a path and every journey starts with little steps.

AS TG always says - One thing at a time...

Caffeto.. Just the usual machine / group cleaner... The descaler is fo de-scaling nothing else.

I also use a group head cleaning brush that came from some where.. Thought it was a bit of a gimmick at first... But not now... Use it all the time...

As to the following..
    Quote Originally Posted by 3F232238224C0 link=1283841645/7#7 date=1283907980
    I will be sure to bug you further in the future.
    Thought ya said HUG not bug and had a double take for a moment or two ;)

Demonstrate your learning and not just taking things on but also addapting for the right reasons and TG / My self and or others will be around...

As said teh other day about teaching to fish... I subscribe to that approach... But as to serving people - Only one that meets the criteria and I married her :D

Quote Originally Posted by 143B32302718343B34323038303B21550 link=1283841645/8#8 date=1283909257
    Caffeto.. Just the usual machine/ group cleaner... The descaler is fo de-scaling nothing else.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by 143B32302718343B34323038303B21550 link=1283841645/8#8 date=1283909257
    I also use a group head cleaning brush that came from some where..Thought it was a bit of a gimmick at first...But not now... Use it all the time...
    Brush?
    Oh yeah, Ive got one of those. At home.
    6910 was at work, hence the spoon.
    Brush is obviously better.

Wow so many question and so many answers, trying to put this to good use in my nearly 4 yr old 6900, oh thats right i already do religiously can touch wood have never had a problem with my machine execpt for a sticky switch on the steam control (thanks AM for the advice).

Also please note if you dont you filtered de-calcified water make sure u replace the catridge in your water tank regually

I will be ordering the Caffeto from coffee parts and a brush too.

Anyway, here are the pics of how I dose below:

When I did the 5 cent test, the coin left no indentation into the grinds.

And when I pull a shot, I try to get the pressure gauge a little more to the right. These beans are about 3 weeks old now.

And here are the pics of after I pull the shot. Hard to tell from the pic, but the shower screen has made a slight indentation into the grind after the shot.

You can see on the shower screen that a few grinds have gotten stuck on, which I was off as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by 2438392339570 link=1283841645/11#11 date=1284103603
    And when I pull a shot, I try to get the pressure gauge a little more to the right.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by 2438392339570 link=1283841645/11#11 date=1284103603
    These beans are about 3 weeks old now.
    Looking at the pics of the gauge and the poor, this doesnt surprise me.
    Id grind a little finer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2438392339570 link=1283841645/12#12 date=1284103768
    You can see on the shower screen that a few grinds have gotten stuck on
    Normal.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4D716C777D7C6B7E767D190 link=1283841645/13#13 date=1284105701
    sontn wrote on Today at 17:26:
    These beans are about 3 weeks old now. *
    Looking at the pics of the gauge and the poor, this doesnt surprise me.
    Id grind a little finer.
    Yep... Dosing looks OK...Grind a little on the course side.

Notice the nice depth in ya pre shot to the level in the after shot.. Now if ya over dose and then pull a shot.. The expansion has no where to go but internal and to force agents the lugs and the collar AND in-effect becomes a super tamp...

Better to manage ya grind and the tamp and let physics do the rest.

Keep up the good work sontn..

PS. Where does ya sweet spot sit ? *(then I will tell you why it is important)

That grind is at setting 10 on my EM0480. I had set the day before which caused the pressure gauge to be more to the right and almost off the caramel section. I didnt bother to change it for today when I did the 5 cent test.

For fresh beans (usually 5-7 days old when I buy them), I start at around setting 13-14. I then have to lower the grind setting by 1 every 1-2 days. Thats why I mentioned doing the stepless mod, as doubling the number of grind settings (ie making the steps go by 1/2 increments rather than 1) would give me the fine adjustments to keep my shots more consistent. I will try the holding the button trick to do stepless adjustments on the grinder but I am not yet convinced that it would hold the setting during the grind.

For those who are interested, I dose by filling the basket to a bit over halfway, then give it a tap to settle it, then slightly over fill the basket. I then use my index finger to flatten out the grinds, wipe off the excess, then tamp. I have found that if I dont give it a tap halfway, I cant get a 25s pour (I assume that this has been underdosed). If I do the tap once I have completely filled the basket, then fill it again, I may be overdosing the basket. Any comments on this approach would be appreciated.

AngerManagement:
    What do you mean by sweet spot?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4C50514B513F0 link=1283841645/15#15 date=1284110949
    That grind is at setting 10 on my EM0480. I had set the day before which caused the pressure gauge to be more to the right and almost off the caramel section. I didnt bother to change it for today when I did the 5 cent test.
    The 5 cent test is about you dosing lever post tamp.. *

As stated in the post previous... I think your dosing level ~5mm is good - As after the shot, it is just touching the screen. This means that the coffee has had room to expand and for the water to leach/wash the oils into your cup.. *Which is the AIM.

For fresh beans (usually 5-7 days old when I buy them), I start at around setting 13-14. I then have to lower the grind setting by 1 every 1-2 days. Thats why I mentioned doing the stepless mod, as doubling the number of grind settings (ie making the steps go by 1/2 increments rather than 1) would give me the fine adjustments to keep my shots more consistent. I will try the holding the button trick to do stepless adjustments on the grinder but I am not yet convinced that it would hold the setting during the grind.
    As beans get older etc... You often have to keep going finer... Sound good.

For those who are interested, I dose by filling the basket to a bit over halfway, then give it a tap to settle it, then slightly over fill the basket. I then use my index finger to flatten out the grinds, wipe off the excess, then tamp. I have found that if I dont give it a tap halfway, I cant get a 25s pour (I assume that this has been underdosed). If I do the tap once I have completely filled the basket, then fill it again, I may be overdosing the basket. Any comments on this approach would be appreciated.
    I think you have it in one.. This is not overdosing... *Mild updosing maybe.

For me the issue is up-dosing and over-dosing is where the 5 cent piece is just touching to a slight indent to being pushed all the way in and a full-shower screen imprint (pre any water).

Note: Most that I see - tend to over-dose, rather than a two stage fill and correct grind.

AngerManagement:
    What do you mean by sweet spot?
    Search is ya friend... *Lots on CS you just need to know how to search. *See the sticky in Off topic and others as to how to use the search feature...

A: Sweet spot is the needle position on the gauge, when you use a double floor basket and NO beans....

Now think about it... I mean put it into perspective and think about all the theory who currently understand and what your roughly aiming for... Hint... *30ml in 30sec at 9bar.

Now reset your Sunbeam and using a DOUBLE floor basket and NO beans do a pre programmed Single shot *and then a Double shot.

Time and measure the shot volumes and note the position on the gauge.... Then talk to me *;) *If your having a bad day... I reckon you will almost have the answer... *As to-date... You have been very clear and concise and picking up on many good practices that often allude many.

So grasshopper... Off and do your homework.... For tomorrow is another day *:) 8-)

I did the sweet spot test, and it came up pretty much the same as in the pic above (ie around 11:45). I havent bothered to measure the volumes coming out yet because I dont have a measuring cup. So far I have just been using the programmed single shot using a double basket. Trying to keep this consistent as I learn to use the machine. Will adjust it when I learn more about what I am doing. (Havent even thought of changing temp/steam setting yet, Im the type of person who likes to crawl before I can run).

I also tried a finer grind, but the shot came out overextracted (very bitter) though this might just be due to the beans which are probably stale by now. Should also note that the finer grind resulted in the gauge going to around the 1 oclock mark.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4C50514B513F0 link=1283841645/17#17 date=1284181716
    I did the sweet spot test, and it came up pretty much the same as in the pic above (ie around 11:45). I havent bothered to measure the volumes coming out yet because I dont have a measuring cup.
    Ok.. this spot on YOUR gauge is in effect 9.25 - 9.75 bar ...

I have checked a few of teh double floor baskets and also used other gauges and etc and happy the accept that the hole size is such that on the Sunbeam and or other systems that the bleed will dump at approx 9.5bar and at a flow rate that would give you about 30ml in 30sec.

Thus if your gauge hits about this mark on you gauge... You know your pressure is about 9bar plus a bit :-)

Im the type of person who likes to crawl before I can run).
    A great way to be... All be it you end up with sore knees or get called ...... nurse ;)

I also tried a finer grind, but the shot came out overextracted (very bitter) though this might just be due to the beans which are probably stale by now. Should also note that the finer grind resulted in the gauge going to around the 1 oclock mark.
    Now if you grind finer.. you need to tamp less and also possible adjust teh volume of grinds.

At 1:00 Vs 11:45 it tells me the pressure is up around 10 or even close to 11bar and yes... Over extracted is what I would have expected IF YOU DID NOT CHANGE YOUR TAMP !!!

Remember change one thing at a time but also remember it may have an impact on many things.

So remember... Double floor basket and no beans or course stale coffee (blade grinder) will always give you perfect coffee if you subscribe to teh numbers ... 2 + 2 = 4 Because the Gauge, the volume and the time will be as expected and your number will add up.

Whats in teh cup will be crap but the numbers will = 100% correct :o

But great coffee will never be had for many reasons.

Thus a single floor basket will need fresh beans, ground to order and tamped with care and you will get GREAT coffee. 2 + 2 = 5 ;)

Hi

I have a em6910 and am getting great results. Took some time but now Im happy. For me I use a rocky grinder and set it to 11 but this setting is just a guage and not accurate to all rockys. Its a fine grind. I too fill the basket about half do a tamp then fill it again for a final tamp. I dont fill it to the top as a fine grind compreses less. I use the manual button to start the shot and watch it till the cream goes light. You have more control on the flow. My guage gos just out of the coloured area. For me it makes a full mouth, lots of flavour in the coffee. Thats seems to be my sweet spot.

Best of luck

Regards Chris

Angermangement:

I have not been changing my tamp as I change the grind. Will look into this as I just got a fresh batch of beans and will try the different grind settings and tamping as I go through them.

Also, I just did a clean cycle with the SB tablet, but took off the shower screen before I did so. It seems there are two screens, an outer one and an inner one. There were some stain marks (I assume from fine grounds that somehow made their way up there) on the outer screen, and some smudges on the inner screen from where it touches the machine. Is this normal?

Chris:

I am finding that my shots taste overextracted when I grind/tamp so that the gauge goes past the colored area.

Quote Originally Posted by 69727B6D6E631A0 link=1283841645/4#4 date=1283896944
    Sounds like your doing the water backflush the way I was shown at the sunbeam course.
    Just to build up pressure and then turn off which at that point you would hear a "pssst" sound of a valve releasing into the drip tray.
    I was told to do this at the end of each coffee making session.
    Saying that though I tend to do what AM does and just run water through the group and GH after every session.
    Does the machine seem normal when extracting coffee?
    My machine guage will bounce a fair way when too much pressure is built up.
    I was told the same in my course many years ago. *Just read AMs method and will do that from now on. AM knows everything and everyone just needs to listen to his advice.

Also, since when are we supposed to take out the shower screen when running a clean cycle? *Maybe this is why I blew yet another seal on the cleaning cycle yesterday! *My double basket + rubber pushes the pressure off the scale past red to nearly 5pm then boom!

Sunbeam need to give proper guides - thank god for forums like this! I still forgive Sunbeam coz the machine makes chocolate velvet shots which rivals the nectar of the gods. And AM just helps to make it even better.

Regards, nick

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7D7F747F687B76636F7F727C7F731A0 link=1283841645/21#21 date=1284287896
    Just read AMs method and will do that from now on. AM knows everything and everyone just needs to listen to his advice.

Also, since when are we supposed to take out the shower screen when running a clean cycle? *Maybe this is why I blew yet another seal on the cleaning cycle yesterday! *My double basket + rubber pushes the pressure off the scale past red to nearly 5pm then boom!

Sunbeam need to give proper guides - thank god for forums like this! I still forgive Sunbeam coz the machine makes chocolate velvet shots which rivals the nectar of the gods.
    I must admit that there is always a little give and take and some times one does have to bend with the wind :-)

1: Hot-water rinse and a wiggle is good..
    2: If a few shots ie. BBQ or dinner party, I might slip in a dual floor basket and do a manual run and push the pressure a bit... *A sort of half and half clean.
    3: Then follow the correct procedure for a chemical clean but a bit more frequent than the book says.... *About 6 to 8 weeks and a light clean - BUT manually clean and check BOTH shower screen first...

Also have a look at the inside of the group :-

If ya using the rubber cleaning disk in a single floor basket and or a double floor basket and no disk.....

Then keep an eye on the pressure as it should not BLOW the seal is all is 100% OK... *

However if there is a bit of a blockage in the dual floor or the hole in the rubber disk is blocked.. *Then generalyuehfei has a point and it could blow / split or leak...

I have not had this happen, other than when I really tried to and used a true BLIND filter... Note: I do not recommend at all.

PS. Glad to se that people are still working things out and still getting a great coffee from their units..

Stay safe and great coffee *:D

Holy dooly, great posting and great replies as usual from AM. So am I reading it correctly - are you meant to remove the shower screens and leave them out when doing the chemical clean , clean the screens then refit them ? Ive never done this. I regularly remove the screens and clean them though.

Ill share my wiggle method while Im here - pull shot and stretch milk, knock out the puck, wipe the basket out, run machine for 5 secs while rubbing the SS with a damp cloth ( until I burn myself), then fit the rubber blind and insert the PF loose, place a pyrex jug under, run machine and remove the PF holding it in the water stream, when the PF is full I quickly lift it up into the group head causing water to wash over the sides of the PF and into the jug - repeat a couple of times. Works well, I have no sludge build up around the seal area even after not checking it for a month

Bump.... anyone ? Need an answer as Im going to do a chemical backflush tonight and I want to get it right - maybe I have been doing right by leaving the screens in, or maybe Ive been doing it wrong by leaving them in ?

Cheers for any replies

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2B3C3C27222B364E0 link=1283841645/23#23 date=1284815503
    Holy dooly, great posting and great replies as usual from AM. So am I reading it correctly - are you meant to remove the shower screens and leave them out when doing the chemical clean , clean the screens then refit them ? Ive never done this. I regularly remove the screens and clean them though.

Ill share my wiggle method while Im here - pull shot and stretch milk, knock out the puck, wipe the basket out, run machine for 5 secs while rubbing the SS with a damp cloth ( until I burn myself), then fit the rubber blind and insert the PF loose, place a pyrex jug under, run machine and remove the PF holding it in the water stream, when the PF is full I quickly lift it up into the group head causing water to wash over the sides of the PF and into the jug - repeat a couple of times. Works well, I have no sludge build up around the seal area even after not checking it for a month
    Your technique sounds good to me - though you might find a grouphead brush is easier to use and does a better job than a damp cloth ;)

When doing a chemical clean I remove the shower screens, soak in Cafetto and give them a scrub then reinsert them before backflushing. Id be concerned about damaging the g/h seal if you performed a backflush without the shower screens in place. You do need to remove them when descaling though (presumably because the fine holes will clog with bits of dislodged scale).

Thanks mate, thats exactly what I thought. It looks as if the shower screens give the inner part of the seal its integrity. Its just that some comments in this thread from AM suggest that the screens be removed when performing the chemical backflush. Maybe the guru himself could clarify the matter ?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 464750504B4E475A220 link=1283841645/26#26 date=1284971561
    Thanks mate, thats exactly what I thought. It looks as if the shower screens give the inner part of the seal its integrity. Its just that some comments in this thread from AM suggest that the screens be removed when performing the chemical backflush. Maybe the guru himself could clarify the matter ?
    m@ is correct... Ya need to read my rants and then re read and correct speeling and gramma *:D ;D ;)

Also here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1282968676/26#26

Clarification - Before doing a chemical clean etc.. *Clean the shower screens first.

Thus implied remove and refit - as only way to clean both the main and the inner is to remove and do by hand. *

My apologies to any that tried to do a chemical clean without the shower screens in place. * It can be done... But not very clean and or pretty as the shower screens help to give the seal, its form and strength.

Trust that all is forgiven and that I can now go back to playing with a back log of electronic boards that I have on my bench. *

PS: *CCT board lacquer has an interesting proplent and its base material causes ones head to swim in a interesting manner, if one breathes too deep for too long.... *OH for the pleasure of a plain lung lolly *;)

Good thing the cct board lacquer is not Chrome in colour - I can sniff it in public *;D

PPS. The office desk is a bit messy and the chrome can has nothing exciting in it :-)

Cheers AM.