Thread: Silvia...should I or should I not?? Newby needs advice....

Silvia...should I or should I not?? Newby needs advice....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all. *Long time reader first time poster here. *If someones asked a similar question before please point me towards it...thankyou...

Ive finally convinced the wife its time to upgrade to a proper machine, and from my research on here a Silvia with PID appears best value for my budget. *At present, Ill be using our existing solis type burr grinder.

Im prepared to put in the time to perfect the shot, however the wife (who is home far more and will use more often) probably doesnt have the patience. *So my question is....without investing a decent amount of time in perfecting the use of the machine, will the quality of the final shot be too disappointing?? *And if so, is there a recommendation of a similar quality machine at this price point (~ $1000 - $1400), which may be simpler and more likely to keep the good lady happy? *I note with some interest recent posts regarding the Gee branded machine.

Any thoughts or advice most gratefully received.

Thank you kindly, James

Re: Silvia...should I or should I not?? Newby needs advice....

Welcome to Coffee Snobs James.

There are more knowledgeable people here to advise you on Silvia, Gee etc.

But from me, youll need a better grinder; without it, the new machine will be a waste of money and a frustration until you get one.

Until you upgrade your grinder you can modify the Solis to get it finer and a better brew. You will be surprised.

Look at:
    http://www.kwilson.fsnet.co.uk/grinder_tweaks.htmI

I have modified a couple of these moving them about 3 clicks with good results.

Barry

trigahipy I watch this thread with interest as Im presented with a similar challenge.

The wife doesnt understand why I cant get the pod machine that the salesman recommended!

if youre concerned that the grinder may not be up to scratch, why not get a lelit? you can get the conbi for $850 or do what i did and get a compak k3t grinder with the lelit epresso machine, which is well within your budget... i think i spent about $1300 once you include all the extra accessories i just had to have...

The lelit is very simple to use, and the grinder will make a huge difference.

it took very little practice to perfect the shot, and from all my research, i think the silvia and lelit are comparable machines.

tek

Also the consider the commercial version of the rocky the MD40 available for under $550 from some sellers

Quote Originally Posted by 26203B35333A3B222B520 link=1285126837/0#0 date=1285126837
    a Silvia with PID appears best value for my budget.
    As much as I hate to say it Trig,my feeling is the Silvia has had its day.
    Owned one of the earlier non PIDd *versions for many years and it performed very well, however my view is that nowadays there are better options available for similar or less money, the LeLit machines are certainly getting good reviews.
    Judging by reports I have read Rancilio have let the build quality slip as well, its a shame because they had an excellent reputation for many years, now were hearing about early boiler failures and plastic parts being used in place of metal.
    The Gee may perform pretty well but its not a machine I would choose, its as plain as a pikestaff, not something I would want sitting on my bench, by the same token its lack of bling and plainness may well be the very factor that appeals to some, to each his own.

recently bought a silvia v3 and already owned a solis/delonghi grinder///

with the mod the solis can grind fine enough to choke the silvia easily (especially with fresh beans) have also bought the bits to PID the silvia for abt $ 50 , but this machine will pull a better shot than most cafes can if u let it warm up for 45 mins and give a cooling flush ....also makes micro- foam under 25 secs (takes a lot of practice to get it rite!!) good luck!

det

Many more qualified on here to answer this but the question is put so often they may not bother! So from one newbie to another (to save you some pain and time) spend on the grinder over the extracting machine.

The Lelit PL41EM gets some good reviews and teamed with a Compak K3 Touch (Jetblack have a special $1199.00) or even an M4 will be within your budget and if you invest a rainy Sunday afternoon with your wife on using the Lelit you will be rewarded with better coffee than many (most?) cafes.

If user friendliness is paramount the Sunbeam 6910 is fairly forgiving in my experience. In any case for under $1400 you will be able to get a very good rig e.g. $660.00 on the Lelit leaves $740.00 for a grinder! (given $1400.00 budget)

I have seen the GEE operating and had a shot made on one (by a very skilled barista), all good but it is one ugly mf on the bench, sorry!

det

Hey Jon. would you direct me to those reports on the build quality of the Silvia I would be interested to read them, thanks.

Thank you to those that took the time to reply to my query. After much deliberation, and reading responses to several other very similar queries, Ive just ordered the Lelit / Compak k3t grinder from jetblack espresso...

Anyone facing a similar dilemma is welcome to message me for a newbies opinion on how its going.

Thanks again for your collective wisdom!

VEG

Let us know what you think

Hi Veg.

Extremely pleased with the new setup, and reckon it was money well spent. Finally the limitation to quality coffee at home is not my equipment, but my skill... and thats getting better all the time.

Both machines feel solid, are simple to use, and look good on the bench. Im very happy, and would recommend to anyone starting out.