Thread: A machine for use by a Motor Racing Team in a truck, now theres a question

A machine for use by a Motor Racing Team in a truck, now theres a question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK to explain.

I manage a few race teams in Various Motor racing series around the country and we operate out of a pretty well equipped truck. But we have no coffee machine and the "Baristas" at race tracks are not so good (i.e. CRAP !).

Ive told the teams Ill put a machine in the truck, which, when Im there could be anything good up to say $1500 (Like a Combi etc) because I can stumble my way through. The rest of the the guys are pretty hopeless / distinterested in techniques etc.

So what does one do. Im not inclined to go to an auto machine as Ive never had decent coffee from one.

I was thinking POD as theres some decent stuff about and its no mess no fuss, hard to get wrong reasonable shelf life in small quantities etc.

I get that everything is a compromise, so Im just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Cheers.

Re: A machine for use by a Motor Racing Team in a truck, now theres a question

Thanks

In spite of my voting buy a lever ::)

I reckon buy a Sunbeam 6910 and a decent grinder with extra warranty. Reasoning they will take pods as well for the numpties and are much more forgiving and easier to use than the Silvia/Lelit and fed good beans and good technique will make a really good coffee. The only downside to one of these is physically they are not as strong as some of the others.

Fully Auto = higher maintenance and rubbish coffee :P

For that type of environment 1500 isnt much of a budget, for the hammering it would get on race day and being moved about the country I would think anything in that range would come up wanting. Just my opinion though.

Grab the ECM for sale here and go the whole hog!!

Brett

Thanks Brett, good idea in theory but the space it would take up in the truck would get me hung drawn and quartered.

I feel you need to get a machine that is fit for purpose

I voted POD for this reason

The other reason is cleaning or cleanliness in the coffee making area

KK

"Pod" from me too...

For the same reasons as KK ;)

Mal.

I voted for something else.

You can get a GEE (yes, I sell them) with a K3T Grinder at your budget.

The machine is temperature stable and anyone can pretty much walk up and extract a good shot at the press of a button.

The downside in your scenario is that they would have to learn how to use the grinder, dose the basket, and tamp. *If they arent able to learn that much, then perhaps they shouldnt be allowed anywhere near the track! *;D

I voted POD Peter,
    Ive been to race meetings, car, bikes, drags etc.
    Seen garages where you can eat off the floor and equipment meticulously in order, but have seen coffee machines being used and abused to kingdom come. Unless of course if its in a GP paddock where you have someone catering to pull shots. But even then, they dont have the same fanatical approach as we Coffeesnobers when it comes to making half decent coffees.
    If no one there is willing to be taught how to do it properly and clean up afterwards, then your money is best spent on something that is doable by the drivers, mechanics, managers etc
    Sourcing fresh coffee beans may be tricky when on the road.
    Get a POD machine, some UHT milk. disposable biodegrable cups with all the other stuff and youre good to go.

Gary 8-)

Why not offer a couple of tickets at each meet and get a local CSer to bring their kit down.
    Im sure many would jump at the chance to be part of the action.
    Two tickets and a bag of beans and youre brewin!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 545B445755535E5E5D5C320 link=1289192790/9#9 date=1289200881
    Why not offer a couple of tickets at each meet and get a local CSer to bring their kit down.
    Im sure many would jump at the chance to be part of the action.
    Two tickets and a bag of beans and youre brewin!! *;D

Now THATS clever 5gal!!
    ;)

Two tickets n a bag of beans?. Nah!
    Logistically that CSer would have to lug their kit, meaning machine, tamper, milk jug, cloths, knock box, grinder etc etc, then have to spend $$ on fuel to get there. They probably get issued with a free pass anyway which dont cost anything from the team.
    * *I reckon a free lunch with all the drinks, money to cover travel expenses, complimentary sponsors products ( in the case of Jesus Racing, then a free bible) autographed by the driver and a lap of terror in the race car should be the least. *;D
    * *Stand up for your rights. You are not a cheap CSer. *>:( >:(

It doesnt need to cost the team (ie tickets... yes i know they would get in on the team list) for it to be good.
    And look at the fringe benefits... especially for the photogs amongst the coffeeholics ;)
    In amongst the team getting all-access pics, thats worth the fuel money
    8-)
    They would be a bit tight if they didnt give you a feed... hehe

Thanks Guys. Assuming I go with the POD based unit, are there any experienced preferences ?.

As to the other suggestion its a good one (but only if a CSer is a motor racing tragic as well, like me). I might post up some events and see whose brave. I know the next one is Phillip Island at the end of the month. Thats a chunk of time and fuel, but if youre keen we know it will be a cracking event.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 75405140577A667A774A5656250 link=1289192790/13#13 date=1289277325
    Thanks Guys. Assuming I go with the POD based unit, are there any experienced preferences ?.

As to the other suggestion its a good one (but only if a CSer is a motor racing tragic as well, like me). I might post up some events and see whose brave. I know the next one is Phillip Island at the end of the month. Thats a chunk of time and fuel, but if youre keen we know it will be a cracking event.
    Get teh Professional Condom type POD / Nespresso and you should be OK.. The cheep white goods suppliers are not the same Quality of Machine OR POD.

As to local CSér support... Would suggest that where ever you might be racing. There might be a CS member just around the corner or willing to be there ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 7F4A5B4A5D706C707D405C5C2F0 link=1289192790/13#13 date=1289277325
    Oohh oohh i put my hand up first.
    How far is it from Perth to Phillip Island??
    Hoping my Sunbeam EM6910 can take it. ;D
    Well, you know it can make multiple flat whites and cappucinos with its separate thermoblocks for steaming and brewing.
    The pre-infusion on mine sounds like a V8 idling, or perhaps more like a full blown top fueller idling, wandering across the kitchen bench by itself with the cups on top rattling, so it should sound the part of race day. ;)
    PS. Ill be happy with a few stickers n a hot dog....

Actually when i worked it out, it might be just a weeny bit too far away from where i am. So count me out. *:(

;)

I voted for something else. I was thinking along the same lines as moto of a 1 group commercial machine e.g. Faema E98 and a doserless grinder (K3T). The results from a joe average may not be as good as what a well trained person could get but if you got a volumetric machine you could program shot length in very short so theres minimal chance of overextraction. It would also mean those who could be bothered doing it properly (including yourself) would be able to get decent coffee. Pods are stale by definition; I dont really care how good the machine is, if the raw materials going into it are old the results are always going to mean everyone has to put up with mediocrity.

I definitely wouldnt get a Silvia or Lelit for this sort of setup - all someone has to do is not refill the boiler after steaming their milk a couple of times and you can kiss the heating element goodbye.

If you cant justify the space for even something like a E98 and a K3T you may be better off looking at something like a Jura. At least the coffee is freshly ground unlike a pod.

Greg

The best coffee machine I have come across in an office environment was a Saeco Royal Cappuccino. *I think this would be quite good for your application and it made very nice coffee. *Although it is marketed as a domestic machine, it never skipped a beat in months of hammering by about a hundred people, while the machines designed for office use (usually German for some reason) seemed to need attention about once a fortnight. *It is quite compact and has an integal grinder, so requires no more operator skill than pushing a button and you dont end up with grounds everywhere. *There are three programmable drink buttons (small, medium and large), so those that wont make their long black by topping up an espresso with hot water can still have their watery bitter coffee. *There is also password protection on the settings, so nobody can ruin your espresso shot by changing the programme to force 200 ml of water through the grinds or reducing the coffee dose because it was too "strong" (bitter because they put too much water through). *The only setting they can mess around with is the grind and you can see this at a glance. *It has a suction tube to draw milk into a frothing nozzle, but the cleaning requirements mean that it is probably more hassle than good. *If you can trust the guys not to souvenir a stainless steel jug, I think youre better off just using the steam nozzle and putting up with lots of noise until they learn how to do it more quietly. *The only complaint I ever heard about the machine was that some people wanted their coffee hotter. *The machine was already set at its highest setting, so the only solution was to tell the asbestos mouths to preheat their cups with boiling water.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A303D3C2E38202A2A590 link=1289192790/16#16 date=1289286388
    Actually when i worked it out, it might be just a weeny bit too far away from where i am. So count me out. *:(

;)
    And if they come to a meet at Barbagallo......???? 8-)