Thread: Looking for an espresso machine in the $1000-$1500 range

Looking for an espresso machine in the $1000-$1500 range

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Sunbeam EM6910 died today!

Out of warranty, water in the electronics. I dont want to wait 5 weeks for a repair while living on plunger coffee, and anyway I have just been struck by upgradeitis. No, it really was an accident, but perhaps fortuitous.

I roast my own, and have a perfectly wonderful Compak K3 Touch grinder. I mostly drink short blacks, and my wife drinks lattes. Usually just the two of us, only sometimes larger groupings of 4-6 drinkers.

After a day reading coffeesnobs, my feeling is that the Lelit and the Gee stand out in the < $1000 bracket, both seem to look better than my old EM6910.

Didnt find any recent threads covering the next price bracket up. Are there any machines $1K to $1.5K that stand out? Basically, are there any machines in that bracket that are a step up from the sub $1000 market, and thus worth the extra money?

Re: Looking for an espresso machine in the $1000-$1500 range

Mate you are in luck
    A near new Bezzera BZ07 in the for sale section

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1289957254

KK

Ta KK, but assorted posts that I saw about the BZ07 didnt seem that enthusiastic about the machine, and it is 2nd hand from a guy with barely more posts than me.

Unless there is a rather convincing case, I would prefer new to used.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Your in a tough price range, sort of between single boiler/dual purpose and HX/twin boiler country, i personally would be looking into something second hand at around the $1500 mark if you can afford it, i have no idea of the background of the BZ07 that KK posted but something like that will keep you happy for a lot longer than a lelit, the silvia/lelit/6910 is a stepping stone for most to a HX or twin boiler.......

Just my thoughts.....

Regards
    Warren

Yes Warren, I had a feeling this might be a problem, as there was a dearth of threads in this price range.

Unfortunately, I am not a good risk taker with 2nd hand stuff that I cant see or play with.

I can stretch the budget a bit more, as my wife wasnt thrilled with this mornings 1st plunger. It has been awhile...

I dont need to froth while brewing, Im not serving 10-20 drinkers, *I only want a machine that is a little more consistent at brewing than I am in dosing, grooming & tamping.

I was reasonably happy with my EM6910, but would like to take this opportunity to make a *better coffee. Can I make a significant jump in this price range?

Might be worth a drive to Melbourne to play with the Gee at Talk Coffee or see if Tonini Lamborghini have the NS Oscar (entry level HX) set up as a demo. Just over your budget is the Expobar Office HX, I think they are about $1600. Apart from those few there is a couple of Ascaso machines in this price range but they are more like overpriced Silvias to use (single boilers).

Like the others mentioned good secondhand is the way to go and you will certainly get a good solid HX machine in that price.

ponte vecchio lusso is in the price range as well.

Thanks snobs, giving me a few names helps focus site searches.

The Nuova Simonelli Oscar & Expobar Office Semi Auto seemed to stay at the top of my lists after a few hours searching.

One is plastic & cheaper, the other is SS and more expensive. Undecided on appearances at the moment. Anyone compared coffee shots between those two?

One issue in these water conscious days, I feel a little bad about doing a 200ml cooling flush before brewing on the Expobar. Are there ways around that, or did I misread?

You will be using less water by cooling flushing a HX machine and pulling a shot of espresso than someone drinking instant or plunger coffee... I think the 1kW plus of power it draws will kill the environment first ;D

Fair point, azzah. In actual fact, we recycle all our water anyway. And I could take shorter showers....::)

As several folk implied, it is a bit of a wasteland in the $1000-$1500 bracket, and not necessarily value for money. I decided, bugger it and go to the next price bracket $1500-$2000.

I spent all of yesterday stalking CS threads on various machines, and ended up deciding on the Diadema Junior Plus Semi auto.

Bought it this morning from Chris at TalkCoffee for $1999, smooth and easy.

Thanks to the posters above, whose advice set me on this fascinating trail.

Arthur, who hasnt yet told his wife...

Quote Originally Posted by 555D59565C5D4A380 link=1290859050/10#10 date=1290998129
    Arthur, who hasnt yet told his wife...
    Good work :) Dirty it up a bit and tell her it was secondhand ;)

Ha! I briefly thought of telling her I found it at a sunday market, but she will see my mastercard statement.

I hope I can rapidly learn to make excellent froth for her lattes to appease her. I may have to practice all night...

Arthur, who is manly, except when confronted by his wife

Blog Entries

Very funny.

You could always set it up at work to hone your skills (please)
    ;)

Have fun with the new toy, Im sure like other Diadema owners around here you will never look back.

Enjoy!

Andy, that would be a disaster! This afternoon I told her about my spend, and she just looked at me. I quickly added (with sweat on my brow) that about 1/3 of the coffee made is cupped by her, and now her already great coffee will be potentially better. Well....., Im alive, and I dont have to cancel the deal.

If I take it to work, she will get no coffee, and.....

Arthur, who wants to live with all his body parts

;D ;D ;D

;D I used to have one of those traded her in on another R/C heli and a coffee machine collection. Flowers cant hurt either ;)

mod edit- URL removed

Its ok now, she went into town today and had coffee with a friend in a cafe. She was reminded yet again that she was spoiled with great coffee at home, so I am forgiven, and she is awaiting the new machine as well!

I think I should send flowers to her friend for taking her out for an adequate coffee!

Arthur, who has stopped sweating, and started anticipating

Yep, flowers are great, and your friend has done well to choose a ho hum cafe as theres quite a few out there.
    Just mind you, dont give red flowers to your friend as it gives out the wrong message and youll be back to square one or go to jail, do not pass go etc etc ;D

Actually thinking about it, dont give flowers at all :-X, give her a coffee cup set or a plunger. You can never be too careful ehh? Im not speaking from experience ;)

Gary "giving manly advice" at Gala