Thread: Life after Gaggia Classic

Life after Gaggia Classic

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Ive had a Gaggia Classic and Sunbeam 480 grinder which have both served me well for approx 3 years, however im considering upgrading. During the week i average 2 double shots a day, and probably 3 or 4 a day over the weekend.

My budget is approx $800. Should i be looking at separate units again, or something like the Lelit Combi?

A second hand unit in good condition is also an option.

What is the best bang for your buck option for $800?

Cheers!

Caffeine Junky

Re: Life after Gaggia Classic

The new replacement cost of your current equipment would be close to $800. Anything new in your price range will not be much of an upgrade.

My recommendation would be to upgrade your grinder, that will give you the biggest jump in quality. Maybe look at a new or lightly used Compak K3 or something of similar quality.

i second the grinder upgrade.

i had a new gaggia classic + ibertal challenge combo, then i had bought a 2nd hand rancilio silvia + ascaso i-mini, got them both for around $800-900.

wasnt a big upgrade in terms of quality of the drinks and consistency. i then upgraded to a 2nd hand diadema junior semi-auto a HX machine for $900 and then bought a new compak k3t. with both i find i make a lot better drinks consistently, and when entertaining its a lot faster and simpler.

if you could sell off the gaggia and the 480 + the $800 you could probably go for a 2nd hand HX machine and good quality grinder like the compak k3/t.

thanks guys, i kinda suspected that i would receive that advice for the budget i have. Ill have a closer look at grinders for now and think about the machine at a later stage. Any other suggestions other than the K3?

You should also look at installing PID temp control on your gaggia. Plenty of threads on how to do it on coffee snobs and elsewhere on the net. Pay someone competent to do the work if you are not suitably skilled with electrical equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by 5058565E5C46465A565E350 link=1292739894/4#4 date=1292893510
    You should also look at installing PID temp control on your gaggia. Plenty of threads on how to do it on coffee snobs and elsewhere on the net. Pay someone competent to do the work if you are not suitably skilled with electrical equipment.
    Wouldnt that be over capitalising?

Money would be better spent on a new grinder then upgrade the machine at a later date

Quote Originally Posted by 5751464D5750484A230 link=1292739894/5#5 date=1292897263

Wouldnt that be over capitalising?

Money would be better spent on a new grinder then upgrade the machine at a later date

You misunderstand, I agree with the grinder upgrade. I think a PID upgrade should ALSO be considered, not instead.

I PIDed my classic and it was $40 very well spent. That and the used commercial grinder have put off the inevitable bout of upgraditis for quite a while (I hope).

Even paying someone to do the PID install, with a kit from pidkits, would allow an upgrade to a Breville BCG800, within budget.

ok, ive searched for PID threads but cannot locate these $40 kits... the site sponsors kits are $200+

Quote Originally Posted by 727A747C7E646478747C170 link=1292739894/6#6 date=1292906322
    You misunderstand, I agree with the grinder upgrade. I think a PID upgrade should ALSO be considered, not instead.

Like sluggo, Im not aware of any $40 PID kits, spending $200 plus on improving the Gaggia doesnt seem to make sense.

Money better spent on moving to a higher level machine I reckon.

The $40 PID kit is a homebrew of parts build by Who Me?. Youll need some electrical knowledge to do something like that, or better still a qualified friendly electrician.

I agree with trentski, I dont really see much value in a $300 PID kit unless you are totally in love with your classic. You can sell it, throw a bit of money into the pot and buy a second hand HX or even a new one.

Upgrade your grinder, best thing I ever did. More consistant, quicker, better coffee. Keep your eye out for a second hand HX on here.

As lacehim spotted, I put together the pid parts myself. Currently you would have to pay $170 to get a kit specific for the gaggia (not from a sponsor).

Unlike some of those contributing to this thread, I have direct experience of a gaggia classic before and after pid and with both a cheap and quality grinder.

The pid made a much bigger difference to my shot quality than the better grinder. The temp variation on the gaggia is much greater than many other machines as it has about 1200 watts heating on a 120ml boiler. Temp swings of 15 degrees are not unusual and I assume everyone agrees this is not desirable.

Given the OP is sticking with their gaggia for now, I stand by my recommendation to consider a PID, even if it costs more than the $40 I spent. *I would baulk at $300 though, much as I like my gaggia.

As for grinder recommendation, the breville 800 seems to be getting great reviews and is under $300.