Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: em6910 steam wand stopped working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3

    em6910 steam wand stopped working

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    i have a em6910 i made a coffee witch was good & went to steam some milk their was no pump noise & no steam i removed the steam wand it was clean & all looked good could anyone tell me what to look for now it still makes good coffee & the hot water wand works ijust have no steam .is this a big job or can i have a go myself

  2. #2
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    The Steam pump has probably died.
    Is it still under warranty?

    You might be lucky and it might only be the steam switch.

  3. #3
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by 4D716C777D7C6B7E767D190 link=1293074472/1#1 date=1293075114
    The Steam pump has probably died.

    Is it still under warranty?

    You might be lucky and it might only be the steam switch.
    Ditto

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    Many thanks for your answers, I will try switch first and let you know how I get on.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    Hey guys,

    Ive got a similar issue. Woke up this morning to make myself some sweet coffee. Shots poured fine, went to texture the milk andddd...nothing. A lot of letting it soak in vinegar solution later, I got it to work, ran the vinegar solution through it for a few mins and then rinsed it through. Turned it off to set the steam settings back to what I had them at before, and no more steam.

    Obviously the blockage is still there. Anyone have a clue as to where this blockage could be and how I can go about un-clogging it?

    Ive kept pretty good care of the system, doing a full screen clean and backflush at least every month, as well as the usual clean down after every use. Not sure how much of the backflush (if any) gets to the steam wand though.

    Cheers for any help!

  6. #6
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by 586E7D626A7C7C0F0 link=1293074472/4#4 date=1293693041
    Shots poured fine, went to texture the milk andddd...nothing. A lot of letting it soak in vinegar solution later, I got it to work, ran the vinegar solution through it for a few mins and then rinsed it through. Turned it off to set the steam settings back to what I had them at before, and no more steam.
    Never used Vinegar so can not comment as to how effective it is...

    Quote Originally Posted by 586E7D626A7C7C0F0 link=1293074472/4#4 date=1293693041
    Ive kept pretty good care of the system, doing a full screen clean and backflush at least every month, as well as the usual clean down after every use. Not sure how much of the backflush (if any) gets to the steam wand though.
    No backflush chemical / cleaning gets to teh steam path...

    Go and read some of teh earlier posts as to NO Steam and the provess to de-scale the steam path.

    Note all the WARNINGS: In addition the use of untested chemicals and or short cuts or doing inside is not supported or recommended.




  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    Cheers, might look into that for future reference.

    I managed to get some vinegar solution up into the steam system (I could barely hear the pump trying to get water through) last night and left it there overnight. Come this morning it seems to be working fine again. Left it running through the vinegar solution for about 5mins and there was certainly some gunk in the water afterward. About another 5mins rinsing through with some filtered water and it seems to be back up and running.

    Guess Ill work that into my descaling routine now.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    And another one lives again - yeeeeehaaa

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    Thank you Coffee snobs. I took my EM6910 to Sunbeam service centre. Problem was Steam Wand switch as suggested by AM. Sorry it took so long to reply as service centre was closed over Xmas. Laser. [smiley=happy.gif]

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    185

    Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

    Quote Originally Posted by 12243728203636450 link=1293074472/6#6 date=1293749197
    Cheers, might look into that for future reference.

    I managed to get some vinegar solution up into the steam system (I could barely hear the pump trying to get water through) last night and left it there overnight. Come this morning it seems to be working fine again. Left it running through the vinegar solution for about 5mins and there was certainly some gunk in the water afterward. About another 5mins rinsing through with some filtered water and it seems to be back up and running.

    Guess Ill work that into my descaling routine now.
    I used to use a vinegar solution to descale, but found that it simply wasnt strong enough,
    so I went out and purchased Bombora Triple Action Cleaner,
    and it works a breeze!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    32
    I had the same problem with my EM6910, no steam, no pump, no sign of life from my when turning the steam dial. I decided to do a little DIY and took the machine apart (anyone who has done this will know it is quite an involved task. When I got to where the switch should have been I found this:
    20130411_174911.jpg

    Some searching online indicated the replacement part I needed was 'Steam Micro Switch and Wire' (EM69149) Which were available for order online for around $25 delivered.

    I decided to take my DIY repair a step further and look for the replacement switch through Jaycar, I was happy to find a matching replacement for $3.75 at the local Jaycar (1km from home):
    Microswitch SPDT ON-ON - Jaycar Electronics

    So a quick drive, some solder, and a bunch of reassembly later I have a fully functional EM6910 ready for my next Flat White!

  12. #12
    JfA
    JfA is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3
    Nwood, I have just found a switch in my machine that is in the same condition as yours. The Jacar switch looks different, particularly the mounting holes. Did it fit straight in?



Similar Threads

  1. EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!
    By martrix in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 22nd May 2015, 03:53 PM
  2. Breville ESP8 (Cafe Roma?) Steam Wand Not Working
    By Kirsty in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th October 2012, 03:06 PM
  3. Steam on 6910 stopped working
    By tony8028 in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12th May 2010, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •