Thread: em6910 steam wand stopped working

em6910 steam wand stopped working

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    i have a em6910 i made a coffee witch was good & went to steam some milk their was no pump noise & no steam i removed the steam wand it was clean & all looked good could anyone tell me what to look for now it still makes good coffee & the hot water wand works ijust have no steam .is this a big job or can i have a go myself

Re: em6910 steam wand stopped working

The Steam pump has probably died.
    Is it still under warranty?

You might be lucky and it might only be the steam switch.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4D716C777D7C6B7E767D190 link=1293074472/1#1 date=1293075114
    The Steam pump has probably died.

Is it still under warranty?

You might be lucky and it might only be the steam switch.
    Ditto

Many thanks for your answers, I will try switch first and let you know how I get on.

Hey guys,

Ive got a similar issue. Woke up this morning to make myself some sweet coffee. Shots poured fine, went to texture the milk andddd...nothing. A lot of letting it soak in vinegar solution later, I got it to work, ran the vinegar solution through it for a few mins and then rinsed it through. Turned it off to set the steam settings back to what I had them at before, and no more steam.

Obviously the blockage is still there. Anyone have a clue as to where this blockage could be and how I can go about un-clogging it?

Ive kept pretty good care of the system, doing a full screen clean and backflush at least every month, as well as the usual clean down after every use. Not sure how much of the backflush (if any) gets to the steam wand though.

Cheers for any help!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 586E7D626A7C7C0F0 link=1293074472/4#4 date=1293693041
    Shots poured fine, went to texture the milk andddd...nothing. A lot of letting it soak in vinegar solution later, I got it to work, ran the vinegar solution through it for a few mins and then rinsed it through. Turned it off to set the steam settings back to what I had them at before, and no more steam.
    Never used Vinegar so can not comment as to how effective it is...

Quote Originally Posted by 586E7D626A7C7C0F0 link=1293074472/4#4 date=1293693041
    Ive kept pretty good care of the system, doing a full screen clean and backflush at least every month, as well as the usual clean down after every use. Not sure how much of the backflush (if any) gets to the steam wand though.
    No backflush chemical / cleaning gets to teh steam path...

Go and read some of teh earlier posts as to NO Steam and the provess to de-scale the steam path.

Note all the WARNINGS: In addition the use of untested chemicals and or short cuts or doing inside is not supported or recommended.

Cheers, might look into that for future reference.

I managed to get some vinegar solution up into the steam system (I could barely hear the pump trying to get water through) last night and left it there overnight. Come this morning it seems to be working fine again. Left it running through the vinegar solution for about 5mins and there was certainly some gunk in the water afterward. About another 5mins rinsing through with some filtered water and it seems to be back up and running.

Guess Ill work that into my descaling routine now.

And another one lives again - yeeeeehaaa

Thank you Coffee snobs. I took my EM6910 to Sunbeam service centre. Problem was Steam Wand switch as suggested by AM. Sorry it took so long to reply as service centre was closed over Xmas. Laser. [smiley=happy.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by 12243728203636450 link=1293074472/6#6 date=1293749197
    Cheers, might look into that for future reference.

I managed to get some vinegar solution up into the steam system (I could barely hear the pump trying to get water through) last night and left it there overnight. Come this morning it seems to be working fine again. Left it running through the vinegar solution for about 5mins and there was certainly some gunk in the water afterward. About another 5mins rinsing through with some filtered water and it seems to be back up and running.

Guess Ill work that into my descaling routine now.
    I used to use a vinegar solution to descale, but found that it simply wasnt strong enough,
    so I went out and purchased Bombora Triple Action Cleaner,
    and it works a breeze!

I had the same problem with my EM6910, no steam, no pump, no sign of life from my when turning the steam dial. I decided to do a little DIY and took the machine apart (anyone who has done this will know it is quite an involved task. When I got to where the switch should have been I found this:
    20130411_174911.jpg

Some searching online indicated the replacement part I needed was 'Steam Micro Switch and Wire' (EM69149) Which were available for order online for around $25 delivered.

I decided to take my DIY repair a step further and look for the replacement switch through Jaycar, I was happy to find a matching replacement for $3.75 at the local Jaycar (1km from home):
    Microswitch SPDT ON-ON - Jaycar Electronics

So a quick drive, some solder, and a bunch of reassembly later I have a fully functional EM6910 ready for my next Flat White!

JfA
    Nwood, I have just found a switch in my machine that is in the same condition as yours. The Jacar switch looks different, particularly the mounting holes. Did it fit straight in?