Thread: Gaggia classic filter basket

Gaggia classic filter basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Quick question. My Gaggia Classic came with only 2 pressurised filter baskets. Im just wondering where Im able to purchase non pressurised ones that would fit.

Cheers,

Jer

Re: Gaggia classic filter basket

coffee parts, site sponsor sells them.

http://www.coffeeparts.com/domestic-parts/machines/gaggia-classic.html

Thanks for that. It doesnt specify if its pressurised or not though. Is anyone able to verify this? Thanks

It will be unpressurized, no sponsor would dare to sell pressurized baskets, to think such a thing is blasphemy, I had a laugh.

I think the only pressurized basket they sell is called a blind filter, and it 100% blocks water flow for back flush cleaning. I just ordered one and new group seal and Espresso Clean.

Great! Thanks for your help! :)

Why would a classic come with pressurised baskets? Bizarre. The standard gaggia double basket that came with mine a few years ago (throw the single away if you are new to coffee) was perfect. Not much of a ridge and pretty big.

Anyway, the synesso baskets fit real good in the classic groups - I reckon they are worth the extra coin.

Good Luck.

It is bizarre isnt it. I read that the newer stock only come with the pressurised baskets, and some come with 2 pressurised, and 2 unpressurised. I guess I got the raw end of the deal. Good thing filter baskets dont cost too much.

Hi, I also just recently purchased this machine, and it to came with 2 pressurised baskets. So, after reading all the bad press about these baskets (and not receiving the little nozzles, so had major coffee spurting episodes!), have brought 2 unpressuriesed. The thing is the 7gr basket sticks to the group head - comes out of the portafilter completely with complete suction to the gorup head. would this be the result of the spring in the portafilter?

Newbie - but learning quickly! Thanks

Bump!

How the hell do some people get 2x2 baskets {x2 pressurised and x2 unpressurised}and others just get 2 {pressurised} and some dont even get the plastic crema thingy???
    Whats with Gaggia distributors or is it the Importers?

I think an email to Gaggia HQ might be in order ...

Just to help others identify the baskets correctly, here are pictures of the pressurised and regular filter baskets. Photo of regular baskets shows top and bottom with flashlight illuminating the holes.

If you have the pressurised basket, cast it out as it will lead you from the path of righteousness unto evil. You have been warned.

I have bought a new Gaggia Classic and Im having the problem with the coffee being sprayed up the walls etc. I have read that the baskets are probably pressurised and I have checked for the small widget that goes under it and it is not there! Its a bit crap that they supply pressurised baskets and dont send the relevant parts to make them work properly!!
    I have another question though!! If I buy a non-pressurised basket will I have to turn down the OPV pressure?

Jasbourne

Quote Originally Posted by 2C612D2A2E213C4F0 link=1295941810/6#6 date=1295988424
    It is bizarre isnt it. I read that the newer stock only come with the pressurised baskets, and some come with 2 pressurised, and 2 unpressurised. I guess I got the raw end of the deal. Good thing filter baskets dont cost too much.

Jasbourne

I just bought latest Classic, made in Romania Feb 2012. Checked OPV pressure with Pressure gauge 13 bars! only suitable for Pods. Reset pressure to 9 bars .Using proper filter baskets, which I had from my old machine I got great espresso, with loads of crema. Pity anyone not familiar with Gaggia would be in real trouble understanding how to use ground beans.