Thread: Problems pouring sunbeam EM6910

Problems pouring sunbeam EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

First off - what a great community. Ive had my sunbeam EM6910 now for a week and Ive been feeding from all the helpful information on here all week!

So over the last week my wife and I had made some good coffee and some real dodgy stuff. Its our first machine so we didnt expect to be experts in a week.

We are using our sunbeam Em6910 with the free grinder that came with it - the em0450. The problem is we havent yet been able to get the honey like resistant pour that is described everywhere. Instead we usually get the water running through quickly with a weakish tasting coffee.

Based on what Ive read these signs to me I need to make the grind finer by a couple of notches on the grinder. But when we do this coffee comes out the top of the group head and the pressure gauge reads over extracted.

This is the most confusing part for me. Even when the water runs through the coffee too quickly the pressure gauge is just on the boundary between being ok and over extracted.

What am I doing wrong? Am I tampering too hard? When we gettye perfect honey like pour what should the pressure gauge be reading? Should it be right in the middle?

Many thanks!!

Re: Problems pouring sunbeam EM6910

Firstly, welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Secondly, how old are the coffee beans?

Older beans need a finer grind; stale beans are the biggest trap for new users.

Although the 0450 is the minimum accepted standard around here for a grinder, it does have fairly large steps between notches and I only ever recommend adjusting 1 notch at a time until you get to know your equipment.

If your beans dont have a "Roasted on" date on the packet find some fresh ones from a local roaster that can tell you the roast date.

Try get some under a week old so youve got more time to play with them.

Any idea at this stage how many kgs of beans youll be going through in a week? If not, how many cups of coffee and do you like them strong or not?

While I remember, are Sunbeam still offering the free course? If yes, do it.

That sounds similar to how I started on the coffee "journey",
    Id been using Gloria Jeans beans (dont shoot me please) and whatever I tried, could not replicate that dripping honey pour.
    The biggest change came after swapping to fresh roasted beans.

I did the Sunbeam course here in Brisbane and I was starting from a very very low knowledgebase. *It was pretty good, and the price was right *:)

I would do the course again if I was planning on another Sunbeam, but I now have my heart set on a Lelit Combi

Welcome Bmach! I too have a EM6910. Its all about fresh beans, the right grind, the right amount of coffee in the basket and the right tamp pressure.
    I assume you are using the double shot, single wall basket?? Most people find this the easiest to get a good result from. If your are useing the dual wall baskets and grinding too fine, then yes you are going to get over extraction from too much pressure. My guage points to about the 1 oclock position and I get a nice shot of 20ml in 25ish seconds.

I have found the following 2 places a good starting point.

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso...bute-tamp.html

and

http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm] Watching how Scotie does it makes it look so easy! *:D

I spend about 3hrs a night on this forum reading up on things trying to improve and learn...... there is a lot to learn!!!
    Please report back and let us know how you are going.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. The beans Im using at the moment were roasted 1 week ago as stamped on the beans bag. I bought them from a cafe in the city - this is the bag: http://www.mydibellacoffee.com/product_info.php?cPath=56_24&products_id=213

I put 1wks worth of beans (250g) in an airtight bag with valve in the cupboard. The rest I put in zip lock bags in the freezer in 250g lots. Not ideal but as with most things in life its a compromise for the cost savings.

Im booked into my free course in April. Thats ages away! So hopefully Ill be making some ok coffee by then anyway? Really looking forward to that one.

Bigdog - Im using the single and double shot single wall baskets. Good to know 1oclock is ok. Thats where I seem to get best results.

Ill check out those links on the weekend.

I didnt understand fresh beans are so critical so thanks for pointing that out everyone. So Im mostly on the right track? I just need more practice, experience, and see what comes from the school?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 4A65696B60080 link=1296682671/5#5 date=1296769260
    I put 1wks worth of beans (250g) in an airtight bag with valve in the cupboard. The rest I put in zip lock bags in the freezer in 250g lots. Not ideal but as with most things in life its a compromise for the cost savings.
    Compromises are fine if you cant buy your coffee in smaller bags on a more reguilar basis. But dont expect honey-like pours with beans you have stored in the freezer. If I were into bad puns I might even tell you that freezing fresh beans is a pour choice :D

Perhaps you could go halves, or split a fresh bag in more ways with family or friends? Then you can get it more regularly?

With your shots, if you think youre tamping too hard, you probably are. Tamping, dosing and grind size all go hand in hand. So if you make your grind finer, use less tamping pressure. Some people use a set of bathroom scales to measure the pressure they are using, before they are comfortable feeling it.

Worry less about the gauge and accurate timing of shots at the start. How many mls in X seconds is fine as a guide. But as you probably already appreciate, espresso making has many variables, and until you can control things like grind and tamp you will struggle to dial in extraction rates.

If you arent already, make an effort to try espresso shots from the best cafes in the city [which city by the way?]. If possible, try shots made with the beans you are buying. Then evaluate your own shots based on that benchmark. You probably wont be able to match it on the sunbeam, but it gives you the best idea of what to aim for.

Stay caffeinated!

DiBella sell smaller bags in 250g lots. Nice coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 5D727E7C771F0 link=1296682671/5#5 date=1296769260
    Im using the single and double shot single wall baskets.
    The single is tricky to get right.
    You have to change the grind compared to the double basket.
    Put it away until you master the double.

Chopping and changing will prevent progress.

When youre comfortable with getting consistent good pours from the double you can go back to the single if you must.

Thanks again everyone. I checked out those videos over the weekend and it was definitely helpful when he shows you what not to do. Dont know of anyone to share beans with yet but will look around for someone that sells 250g bags at a decent price. We live on the northern beaches - work in Sydney CBD. any suggestions welcome!

Coffee has improved since last post which is good. Weve started using the preset single/double shot buttons. Before this we were Jain manual and looking for the colour change as per videos. We werent pouring for long enough hence weak coffee. I guess colour change isnt as easy to see if the beans arent fresh?

So do you suggest using the double shot basket even when making a single shot coffee? I didnt think that would infuse properly if the basket wasnt full?

Ive never been a plain expresso shot fan but Ill give it a try so I can better tune my coffee senses and pick the best blends :)

Thanks again people. Have a good week of coffee making!

Quote Originally Posted by 664945474C240 link=1296682671/9#9 date=1297115208
    Dont know of anyone to share beans with yet but will look around for someone that sells 250g bags at a decent price.
    Order online and save yourself the hassle. I use 5senses, but there are sponsors on here who sell their wares over the internet. FWIW, I have never received a roast from 5senses that was more than 2 days old and they do 250g bags if thats all you use in a couple of weeks.... I go through twice that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by 0F202C2E254D0 link=1296682671/0#0 date=1296682670
    First off - what a great community. Ive had my sunbeam EM6910 now for a week and Ive been feeding from all the helpful information on here all week!
    Im in the exact same boat as you only I got the EM0480 grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 0F202C2E254D0 link=1296682671/0#0 date=1296682670
    The problem is we havent yet been able to get the honey like resistant pour that is described everywhere. Instead we usually get the water running through quickly with a weakish tasting coffee.
    Ive been able to get that "honey like" pour but only for a few seconds. The only problem is that I seem to have to grind it quite fine (6-8) to achieve that. I know Im still new to this so Ill eventually figure out what Im changing in my procedure.

A few days ago I was getting that honey like pour grinder much coarser (12) so I dont know what I have changed. I was using Illy beans and since then have bought from a local roaster Contract Coffee Roasters in Clayton, Melbourne. The beans I bought there I have had to grind much finer to get a pour that didnt run too fast (unless there is something else I have altered and dont realise because Im still a noob :)). I went back to the Illy beans on the grind setting I was using before and it was pouring too fast again. So now for some reason I have to grind the Illy beans down to 6-8 to get a nice slow pour.

I realise Im still a noob a this, and there is so much to learn, which Im eager to do but its just frustrating when you dont know what it is that you are changing to make the pour vary so much between shots.

Ive booked in for the Sunbeam course next month so hopefully I can be pouring perfect shots by then.

Quote Originally Posted by 594F425A4B5C7144405C2E0 link=1296682671/11#11 date=1300784762
    A few days ago I was getting that honey like pour grinder much coarser (12) so I dont know what I have changed.
    YOU havent changed anything; the beans are OLDER.
    Older beans need a finer grind.

Quote Originally Posted by 594F425A4B5C7144405C2E0 link=1296682671/11#11 date=1300784762
    The beans I bought there I have had to grind much finer
    Different beans; not all beans need the identical grinder setting.

So now for some reason I have to grind the Illy beans down to 6-8 to get a nice slow pour.
    Older again?

Note: only ever change one variable at a time; then youll know what changed what.

Dont forget the humidity. Ive had to change grind 10 steps in one day due to a change in weather conditions. It happened so fast I couldnt believe it. But it was over 80 % for the whole day after been 45 % the previous day.

Quote Originally Posted by 4A766B707A7B6C79717A1E0 link=1296682671/12#12 date=1300806980
    YOU havent changed anything; the beans are OLDER.
    Older beans need a finer grind.
    I realise that the Illy beans can be roasted months prior to the purchase date but I only purchased them about 5 days ago. The beans I bought from the roaster were supposedly roasted the day before I think.

The coffee still tastes great though. I think my concern was really because I had read that an espresso grind should be between 12-16 so I thought I must have been messing something up.

Thanks for the replies. There is so much info on this forum. Im sure Ill be pouring perfect shots in no time. :o

Totally ignore the grind setting numbers. Just keep going finer till you get the desired result paying attention to the dose and tamp. If the grinder is modified ( with shimming) all the numbers go out the window. On my 480 Im using 3-4 for ultra fresh beans and 2-1 after a week, then back to 3-4 with the next 1 kg bag. 1 kg a week goes through my combo.

Quote Originally Posted by 7C7D6A6A71747D60180 link=1296682671/15#15 date=1300919834
    On my 480 Im using 3-4 for ultra fresh beans and 2-1 after a week, then back to 3-4 with the next 1 kg bag. 1 kg a week goes through my combo.
    Looks to me like it needs shimming.

Quote Originally Posted by 59584F4F545158453D0 link=1296682671/15#15 date=1300919834
    Totally ignore the grind setting numbers. Just keep going finer till you get the desired result paying attention to the dose and tamp.
    Thats good to know. Thanks.

Sorry to drag up an old one. Thundergod, my grinder is already shimmed. I made them myself from a set of feeler guages after getting stuffed around by sunbeam. I have total control but not much room to move on the fine side of things. If I go down to 2 on fresh beans the machine chokes. Granted, a thicker shim would give me more range but Im paranoid about bottoming the burrs out which would be terminal - and I couldnt be bothered as its been like this for 2 years ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4C4D5A5A41444D50280 link=1296682671/18#18 date=1301352587
    Sorry to drag up an old one. Thundergod, my grinder is already shimmed. I made them myself from a set of feeler guages after getting stuffed around by sunbeam. I have total control but not much room to move on the fine side of things. If I go down to 2 on fresh beans the machine chokes. Granted, a thicker shim would give me more range but Im paranoid about bottoming the burrs out which would be terminal - and I couldnt be bothered as its been like this for 2 years* ;)
    As we all know, the numbers are a guide.

It may be that your machine has stretched a bit and a slightly thicker shim may make teh numbers look higher.

However if you drop a few numbers and it chokes, then why bother if you can not use teh bottom range anyway.

The other issue is that the burrs do get blunt and have seen a couple that are well past their use by ;D This also adds to the complications and quality of grind.

Gday AM. I seem to have it pretty well nutted out with the 480. I only use 1 - 4 as explained before depending on bean freshness. I must admit to been a right slack bugger with grinder cleaner - Im doing it now along with a back flush for the 6910 which is still going hard BTW) ::)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 727364647F7A736E160 link=1296682671/20#20 date=1301565821
    Gday AM. I seem to have it pretty well nutted out with the 480. I only use 1 - 4 as explained before depending on bean freshness. I must admit to been a right slack bugger with grinder cleaner - Im doing it now along with a back flush for the 6910* which is still going hard BTW)* ::)
    You have passed many tests Grasshopper ;D

You are now your own master and time for you to have nymphs of your own to train.

chillicatqld is starting off and do you see, where you once were; to where you now are ;) :

Oh how simple it can seem.... The road ahead looks messy and full of twists and truns, but when one looks back; Its like teh gunbarrel highway :D

Mmmm, youve just inspired me to go and watch kill bill - again ;D