Thread: Ebay Bargain La Cimbali Domus

Ebay Bargain La Cimbali Domus

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I picked this up yesterday for all of $112.50.

I was not aware, Cimbali made domestic machines like this. I am a little unsure of the date as I cannot find the serial number or manufacture date. But the inside cover has 96 and the boiler has 95 stamped on it. So I am guessing it is about 15 years old.

Works fine and is in great condition. The rear panel and sides are all one piece of aluminum that could do with a respray, but the rest of it all works fine. Not sure if it is missing anything off the steam wand though.

It has a 58mm PF that actually rotates backwards. PF is not quite the same as the commercial ones though.

The ad for it was pretty bad and I just assumed it didnt work, probably like everyone else did, as no one else bid on it. But thought for $112 I would be ok. Everything is in pretty much perfect condition, with all fixtures bar the two rusted ones being stainless.

I am still debating whether I paint it orange or leave it white.

But I will see what if any scale is in it and give it a clean up. Not sure yet whether I will keep it or on sell it, I will see how it comes up and what sort of shots I can get out of it.

Excuse the phone pictures, I couldnt resist pulling the covers off for a look though.

If anyone has a manual or any other information on this, it would be appreciated. I havent had a chance to search around much.

Re: Ebay Bargain La Cimbali Domus

wrong pic. That was a 3 group I got from the same buyer, it was only $52.50. I need to wire up the plug so havent tried it yet, but they claimed it was working 12 months ago.

Sorry I posted in the wrong forum. Somehow I dont think it was $3000K back in 95

Caffeine Junky

I had one of these for a short while. Paid $20 off the bay.

Yours looks to be in much better condition. When I removed the shower screen from mine the aluminium group was really badly pitted but the machine was still functional. Poured a pretty decent shot.

I found a place in Adelaide that still sells the same model new. Managed to pick up new group seal (o-ring type) and double basket from them.

tek

These work well enough but are let down by their aluminum boilers they are still sold new by the importer and parts are readily available

Thanks for the info

Yeh I was a bit dissapointed by the Ali boiler. I can never understand why they use it.

those bloody accountants I guess :)

Wega Mininova Classic Seeya_Latte's Avatar

Hi Clinto
    Ive had one of these for 13 years!

Back then it was either the baby gaggia, this or the silvia in this range

A bit of a noisy vibe but rock solid. Ive been giving her heaps for years, and apart from the usual replacables (shower o-rings etc) the only major thing ever replaced was a vibe pump.

Less than 15 mins warm up time (if espresso only). If you want milk then aim for a good 30 mins min.

It can cope with a bit, youve just go to know how she likes to be treated.

For say 4 lattes....
    a) I pull all four shots into cappa cups.
    b) I then check / top up the tank before and in between steaming (just in case)
    c) Run the steam into an empty pitcher until dry steam comes out
    d) Fill a 600ml jug to about 3/4s ....start frothing
    e) Honestly, youll probably only get enough usable froth for 2.5 of the 4 cups. I know a little wasteful I know but I only expect to get 2 at a time out of each steaming session. Of course get rid of unused milk and start over again for the next 2
    f) Never go from steam straight into espresso shots because itll fart and splatter typically through the group.

Weve recently built a new house so Ive donated it to my mother in law. Aeropressing in the meantime while I lock down my upgrade.

Seeya

Cimbali domus parts- where are they?

Does anyone know where I can get an element (or boiler if necessary) for a Cimbali domus? Got the machine off Trademe. It worked well for 2 days, then the element failed. It's been in the coffee machine shop for the past 4 weeks, but they don't seem to be able to find an element either. I know they are an old model, but are there no spare parts left?? Geoff

A non-sponsor (coffex) was using domus as raffle prizes 12 months ago. I bought one from a winner and gifted it. The element failed immediately. Coffex replaced the machine rather than repaired. The new machine has had no problems.