Thread: 4yr old EM6910 - worth replacing collar?

4yr old EM6910 - worth replacing collar?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive read the excellent how-to guide to replacing a collar on an EM6910, by Wan and AngerManagement, and I am comfortable doing the work.

However, I am interested in opinions about how worth it is undertaking this work, in terms of time, given the machines age, 4 years. I understand from reading the forums that this is a pretty good innings, but worried something else will go.

Thanks.

A_M

Re: 4yr old EM6910 - worth replacing collar?

Your call ?

About $58 for teh part and 1hr or two.... If every thing else is OK its worth teh $$$

If you think not, then what do you intend to spend to replace it with a like machine or more up market ? If you like volumetric and steam milk and shot at teh same time, the next step is quite big.

If 4 years and this is you first big problem, then the EM6910 has paid for its self a few times over ;D

Im at this point as well. Ive got a 5yo EM6900 that needs a new collar.

It looks like Ill be paying around $3k to get similar features in another brand (ignoring Harvey Norman brands).

Has anyone done a "going upmarket from a 6900/6910" thread?

To answer AMs comment, yes I like volumetric and steam plus shot at the same time. Tragically, I didnt actually pay for my 6900 so 5 years of tasty shots and flat milk for free is pretty good IMHO.

Back on topic - where to get the collars from? Does one of the site sponsors have them or is it Sunbeam repairs (shaver shop Plympton - Im in Adelaide)?

Thanks, I was hoping youd chip in AngerManagement!

Weve been very happy with the machine to date. Not sure where wed go from here, dont like the sound of temp surfing and PIDs with a Silva

I will give it a go - of course taking appropriate care. While I can spy the innards are there any bits I should check for wear?

I am going to try Service Sphere, north Melbourne www.servicesphere.com.au

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 31393E3C21213A20530 link=1299306932/3#3 date=1299562218
    While I can spy the innards are there any bits I should check for wear?
    Not really...* Other that some food grade grease on the steam valve stem and check to see the orings are still OK.

Take all the care possible and DO not force pipework...* If it is such that your having an issue... Take 5 and relax.

Follow the guide and if you have issues; take a picture and document. That way the guide can be updated.

After you get all back together (gentle with the knobs)* and have had it checked for Electrical safety.* *Enjoy your next coffee.

Remember, this is not a race where the first to finish wins. It is about a Quality approach and taking the time to enjoy the beauty of the insides* ;) ;)

PS. I think Euro Coffee & Appliances may sell the collar, so see if you also get a CS discount.

Funny this post should pop up as im in the same boat.
    I have had my 6910 for nearly 5 years with no issues other than the nut behind the group handle!
    It will need a collar soon but I am considering upgrading to another volumetric machine. At the moment looking at expobar control but keen for any other suggestions.
    cheers,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by 24203D3D267F71490 link=1299306932/5#5 date=1299574291
    At the moment looking at expobar
    I have the Expobar Leva and have been happy with since day 1 several years ago.
    Its still going like new and I expect it to outlast me.

Ive used the Sunbeam extensively and have always guessed that about 5 years is their limit should the electricals survive.

The Sunbeams a good beginner machine in my opinion but if you want to step up to a machine that will last many times longer, then do your homework, visit some sponsors for some hands on evaluations then go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by 7D525B594E715D525D5B59515952483C0 link=1299306932/4#4 date=1299564162

Take all the care possible and DO not force pipework...* If it is such that your having an issue... Take 5 and relax.

Follow the guide and if you have issues; take a picture and document. That way the guide can be updated.

After you get all back together (gentle with the knobs)* and have had it checked for Electrical safety.* *Enjoy your next coffee.

Remember, this is not a race where the first to finish wins. It is about a Quality approach and taking the time to enjoy the beauty of the insides**
    A bit off topic but, do I detect a bit of Robert M Pirsig here?

Quote Originally Posted by 083D2C3D6B61580 link=1299306932/7#7 date=1299637857
    A bit off topic but, do I detect a bit of Robert M Pirsig here?
    The Tao = Quality = The Ground Roasted Bean?

;)

Quote Originally Posted by 767D71796F6C1C0 link=1299306932/2#2 date=1299493986
    Im at this point as well. Ive got a 5yo EM6900 that needs a new collar.

It looks like Ill be paying around $3k to get similar features in another brand (ignoring Harvey Norman brands).

Has anyone done a "going upmarket from a 6900/6910" thread?

To answer AMs comment, yes I like volumetric and steam plus shot at the same time. Tragically, I didnt actually pay for my 6900 so 5 years of tasty shots and flat milk for free is pretty good IMHO.

Back on topic - where to get the collars from? Does one of the site sponsors have them or is it Sunbeam repairs (shaver shop Plympton - Im in Adelaide)?
    To answer my post, I dropped by Coffee Craft (sponsor & very helpful!) who recommended either the Bezzera BZ07 DE, or the Expobar Office Control plus a vario grinder.

Requirements were - volumetric, concurrent steam and shot, compact size.

No answer on where to get the replacement collar, so Ill check with the local agent next week.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5F5458504645350 link=1299306932/9#9 date=1299831764
    No answer on where to get the replacement collar, so Ill check with the local agent next week.
    Answer was posted within 24hr and that Sponsor also has a online shop on a well known Auction Web site..

As to your local Agent, many will not supply.

Quote Originally Posted by 604F4644536C404F4046444C444F55210 link=1299306932/10#10 date=1299832221
    Quote Originally Posted by 5F5458504645350 link=1299306932/9#9 date=1299831764
    Answer was posted within 24hr and that Sponsor also has a online shop on a well known Auction Web site..

As to your local Agent, many will not supply.
    Oops, missed that, thanks & sorry!

Edit: theyre offering the collars on ebay for $60, sounds about right.

My past experience with Sunbeam is fix one part and the rest of the machine dies shortly after (or explodes violently, as per my previous Sunbeam Cafe series - water leak onto the 240V part of the circuit board).

Quote Originally Posted by 20282F2D30302B31420 link=1299306932/0#0 date=1299306932
    Ive read the excellent how-to guide to replacing a collar on an EM6910, by Wan and AngerManagement, and I am comfortable doing the work.

However, I am interested in opinions about how worth it is undertaking this work, in terms of time, given the machines age, 4 years. I understand from reading the forums that this is a pretty good innings, but worried something else will go.

Thanks.
    So what did you decide to do? Given the cost of replacing the part it would seem like its worth doing. If the Sunbeam dies afterwards you wont have lost much and you might gain quite a few extra years and help readers find out how long these units really can last.

Quote Originally Posted by 454E424A5C5F2F0 link=1299306932/11#11 date=1299833974
    My past experience with Sunbeam is fix one part and the rest of the machine dies shortly after.
    Interesting. I replaced a collar in a 6910 twice and everything else was fine.

What I did do though, was, replace the collar for a second time and straight away upgrade.

That way I was selling effectively a new machine with warranty (have the extended) that had made 6 coffees. In doing that I got very good money for it and the new owner is happy.

Just a thought if you are unsure of what path to travel.

Update on my situation. I thought Id try installing a shim to see if that helps before spending money on a collar (thinking being - if the shim doesnt help then theres no point buying a collar).

In installing it, I sheared the brass shower head bolt, leaving part of it in the thread.

Ive had this apart several times in the past when cleaning the head, and when putting the bolt back, it didnt seem to be tightening at all.

So this morning Ill be checking the one local repairer to see if they have a bolt in stock ($11 online but dont seem to be in stock). If not Ill be upgrading as I need the machine for tomorrow.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 212A262E383B4B0 link=1299306932/14#14 date=1300395514
    In installing it, I sheared the brass shower head bolt, leaving part of it in the thread.
    Shame ya not in Brisy as I have a couple in teh shed ;)

Best of luck and let us know how it all goes.

Another update!

$8.40 for the bolt this morning, installed with a new seal and spacer (from site sponsor mentioned earlier).

Still leaks all around the outside of the PF.

Looks like a new collar or a new machine.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7378747C6A69190 link=1299306932/16#16 date=1300405955
    Another update!

$8.40 for the bolt this morning, installed with a new seal and spacer (from site sponsor mentioned earlier).

Still leaks all around the outside of the PF.

Looks like a new collar or a new machine.
    If ya research has not been done, then look at $60 for the Collar and it will buy you time...

As others have found post EM69xx Steaming at same time and Volumetric etc does spoil one :D

Take ya time and make an informed decision.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate the expertise available on this forum!

I lost patience with it on Friday - Id already lost hours of work running around during the day trying to find parts and playing with the machine.

Id been doing some research over the past few weeks and had already settled on a replacement, but I was hoping that I could get a few months more out of the Sunbeam with some parts. Once Id got to Friday morning with it still leaking madly I thought this could go on forever and gave up. I needed a working machine for Saturday and the Sunbeam was filling the cups with grounds from the overflow.

Again, Ive had this machine for just under 5 years, and it didnt cost me anything to get (gift vouchers + credit card points). It had a very good run and as an entry level machine on a budget I cant recommend them highly enough. It replaced a Sunbeam EM5800 that had been a gift, had a pressurised filter basket, and blew up in a most impressive way very early one morning.

On Friday I bought the shop display model Bezzera BZ07 with a Vario grinder from one of the forum sponsors.

First try, far better textured milk than I ever achieved with the Sunbeam. Took me 250g of beans to get the grind and dose even close to right however, and I suspect a few weeks more playing with it to get it perfect.

The Sunbeam did however donate its large basket to the Bezzera. The Bezzeras "double" is about a 1.5 and I could not get the dose/grind right, whereas the Sunbeams "double" is probably closer to a 3 and is easier to work with.

Disappointingly there are some issues with the Bezzara - the most obvious is the pressure gauge is stuck (doesnt affect its ability to make coffee) and the hot water wand seems to dispense much more steam than hot water, but I will take it up with the store tomorrow.

So the old EM6900 is in the garage now, waiting for next hard rubbish collection. Do you think its worth selling on ebay for parts?

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 767D71796F6C1C0 link=1299306932/18#18 date=1300620930
    Thanks for the tips. I appreciate the expertise available on this forum!

I lost patience with it on Friday - Id already lost hours of work running around during the day trying to find parts and playing with the machine.

Id been doing some research over the past few weeks and had already settled on a replacement, but I was hoping that I could get a few months more out of the Sunbeam with some parts. Once Id got to Friday morning with it still leaking madly I thought this could go on forever and gave up. I needed a working machine for Saturday and the Sunbeam was filling the cups with grounds from the overflow.

Again, Ive had this machine for just under 5 years, and it didnt cost me anything to get (gift vouchers + credit card points). It had a very good run and as an entry level machine on a budget I cant recommend them highly enough. It replaced a Sunbeam EM5800 that had been a gift, had a pressurised filter basket, and blew up in a most impressive way very early one morning.

On Friday I bought the shop display model Bezzera BZ07 with a Vario grinder from one of the forum sponsors.

First try, far better textured milk than I ever achieved with the Sunbeam. Took me 250g of beans to get the grind and dose even close to right however, and I suspect a few weeks more playing with it to get it perfect.

The Sunbeam did however donate its large basket to the Bezzera. The Bezzeras "double" is about a 1.5 and I could not get the dose/grind right, whereas the Sunbeams "double" is probably closer to a 3 and is easier to work with.

Disappointingly there are some issues with the Bezzara - the most obvious is the pressure gauge is stuck (doesnt affect its ability to make coffee) and the hot water wand seems to dispense much more steam than hot water, but I will take it up with the store tomorrow.

So the old EM6900 is in the garage now, waiting for next hard rubbish collection. Do you think its worth selling on ebay for parts?
    If you were feeling generous and wanted to pay it forward Im sure that AM could use your old 6910 for parts to continue to help out other less fortunate Sunbeam owners. ;D Many congratulations on the upgrade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 6A616D657370000 link=1299306932/18#18 date=1300620930
    The Sunbeam did however donate its large basket to the Bezzera. The Bezzeras "double" is about a 1.5
    Hi James, could you please do me a favour and see if the Bezzera 1.5 basket fits well in the Sunbeam? Most importantly, please check if the handle can fit into the group with relative ease.* (The Coffeeparts one I tried sits up too much and make attaching difficult).* If it does fit I may buy one.*
    Thanks!

Hi guys, Ive got myself a 4 year old EM6910 and am considering purchasing a new collar and seal. If you would rather post those parts to another coffee lover rather than put the machine out for the next hard rubbish collection, I would be very appreciative (im on a somewhat tight budget). If the part would fit a EM6910 that is. Please let me know, I will gladly pay for the postage.

Quote Originally Posted by 28302239383F3D30253837510 link=1299306932/20#20 date=1300627379
    Hi James, could you please do me a favour and see if the Bezzera 1.5 basket fits well in the Sunbeam? Most importantly, please check if the handle can fit into the group with relative ease.* (The Coffeeparts one I tried sits up too much and make attaching difficult).* If it does fit I may buy one.*
    Thanks!
    It does fit, and it doesnt seem to make any difference locking it into the group.

Downside is that the Bezzera baskets are 57mm not 58, so the Sunbeam tamper is a very tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E252B133E252F244C0 link=1299306932/21#21 date=1300630624
    Hi guys, Ive got myself a 4 year old EM6910 and am considering purchasing a new collar and seal. If you would rather post those parts to another coffee lover rather than put the machine out for the next hard rubbish collection, I would be very appreciative (im on a somewhat tight budget). If the part would fit a EM6910 that is. Please let me know, I will gladly pay for the postage.
    Ive got a new seal and a shim, both have had maybe 4-5 shots through them. I dont have the collar.

Yes, I am going to give it a go. Ordered the part through local supplier in North Melbourne. Thanks for all the advice. Nothing much to lose, apart from a 1-2 hours time if something else breaks down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4448405655250 link=1299306932/22#22 date=1300661575
    Quote Originally Posted by 28302239383F3D30253837510 link=1299306932/20#20 date=1300627379
    Thanks!
    It does fit, and it doesnt seem to make any difference locking it into the group.

Downside is that the Bezzera baskets are 57mm not 58, so the Sunbeam tamper is a very tight fit.
    Wow this just keeps getting better (tight fit) :)
    Can you please get me the exact details and perhaps a model number so I can order one?
    Thanks!* I could buy yours if you dont want it.

Thanks for all the great comments about this topic guys and gals.

Ive had my 6910 for 18 months and have in the past put a spacer in and recently have replaced the seal. After a few shots, there is now leaking during extraction from up around where the group head meets the seal (or round abouts)...

When locking the handle in I have to go beyond square to prevent the handle flying out during extraction.

Are these signs that point to a worn out collar that might need replacing?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 777A7A6166150 link=1299306932/26#26 date=1301887922
    Thanks for all the great comments about this topic guys and gals.

Ive had my 6910 for 18 months and have in the past put a spacer in and recently have replaced the seal. After a few shots, there is now leaking during extraction from up around where the group head meets the seal (or round abouts)...

When locking the handle in I have to go beyond square to prevent the handle flying out during extraction.

Are these signs that point to a worn out collar that might need replacing?
    YES

hahaha.. that probably sounded pretty obvious...

Ill go right ahead and get one then. Thanks.

Not sure if this is the correct place, but I have also have a 4yo EM6910 and the collar needs replacing...seems to be bent (no idea how that happened) and I can't get the portafilter in there anymore.

Any guide as to how much that might cost me, and can anyone recommend anywhere decent to take it? Anywhere between home (Robina, Gold Coast) and Brisbane Airport (work). I thought about attempting it myself, but could quickly see the frustration levels rising!!

Cheers

Sue