Thread: Replacing pressure gauge on EM6910

Replacing pressure gauge on EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    About 5 months ago I bought a sunbeam EM6910 second hand for a steal. Well it seems that this machine has had a bit of a tough life and Im currently giving it some tlc and learning lots as I go. After some recent tinkering Ive realised the back of the pressure gauge is leaking when extracting a shot, this is probably self inflicted due to my tinkering knocking this connection at some stage.

So my question is - is the gauge difficult to replace? Ive had a quick look and it looks like it could be rather tricky, the location isnt that easily accessible. The sunbeam service centre has quoted $50 for the new gauge and Im considering getting a new collar while Im there because the angle of the handle is reaching the limit. Ive just downloaded the collar replacement how to and I think ill be fine tackling that job, a huge thanks to all those involve with that write up.

Oh and a quick hello to all, this is my first post. I must say Iím very happy and relieved to see so many EM6910 owners passionate about their machines, it looks like I managed to stumble on a popular and well loved machine* *:)

Re: Replacing pressure gauge on EM6910

Hi,

I cant offer any advice about your sunbeam, but I was considering replacing the gauge in a Breville. I thought if I was going to replace it, why not put in one that had proper measurements on it! I dont know about the sunbeam but mine just comes with colours! Just a thought for you.

Thanks for the tip, but i think the standard gauge will be fine for me. I think id like to maintain the original look of the system and a different type of gauge would probably not fit.

Anyone else had experience with removing gauges?

Hi TommyV.

I don;t think many here have had problems with their gauges except for the few who had coffee grounds blockages in their machines which affected the performance of the gauges.

I dont like the sounds of the leakage behind the gauge you mentioned because electrical components may be compromised which increases the dangers of corrosion and potential for electrical shocks.

For your safety, since you dont have an intimate knowledge of the insides of your machine, have a qualified Sunbeam technician look into it.
    Please, if you dont know what youre doing, less tinkering and more proffesional help.
    At the same time youd want to treat it to a full service which includes your mentioned collar replacement, and youre good to go again. ;)

Gary at G

Ive got a 6900 and 6910, lovbe em both, and service my own larger machines becasue there is room in there, eg Rancilio s27, Rancilio Epoca. I have only seen pictures of the inside of a sunbeam (crammed), but to me it looks like unless you have an intimate knowledge of the inside, get and quote and let Sunbeam do it. Often the trick is the procedure sequence, and parts you need to remove to get at things, they already know, we have to learn, unless you have access to one of their service manuals (has somebody on the forum got one ?).

Get a quote, you might be surprised, the thing I hate with service centres drive to drop it off, going home, going back to pickup, going home, more hassle then just buying parts and installing, especially if parts are mailed out using Australia Post.

A_M

The problem will not be teh Gauge but coffee fines and grinds caught in the head and lines.

Do a search for Gauge not working and you will see pics and lots of comments as to how it might be fixed.

Be warned if you have to take the machine apart; then unless done with care and understanding of Electrical issues you will put yourself and teh machine at risk.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Seems like i have a bit of a unique problem here. Just to clarify Ill reiterate that the gauge is not broken, it still works, it simply leaks a bit and drips water down onto the steam pump, which then lands on my kitchen bench. After a normal shot is extracted the puddle of water is no bigger than a 10c piece but still enough to set off alarm bells in my head. There are no electronics in this area so there has not been any damage to the mainboard or electronics. I have definitely stopped using the machine once i discovered the dribbles on the bench.

I consider myself very handy (10+ years working as a bicycle mechanic + currently doing PhD in engineering) plus i got this machine at a cheap price so I have a passion for working on fiddly things and Im willing to do some surgery. I will take photos as i go in case anyone else is interested. In the worst case scenario I still have a Breville 800es machine as a back up, so will still be able to maintain my coffee buzz* :D

Wish me luck* :)

I think I may have a similar issue. I have always wondered where the small puddle came from. Have been ignoring it for the past 2 years. I also ignore the gauge as the indication of a good shot is how it comes out and the puck left behind etc.

I also have the same collar issue - mine has finally reached the limit and water gushes out. Is there any chance i can get a link to the instructions? Have been looking but no luck - except google did point me here :)

This link is the pdf
    http://home.exetel.com.au/waz/cs/EM6910_Collar_Replacement_-_How_To.pdf

which comes from this thread
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1283228906

;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 26213C3921212A3D4E0 link=1300537598/7#7 date=1300832967
    I think I may have a similar issue. I have always wondered where the small puddle came from. Have been ignoring it for the past 2 years. I also ignore the gauge as the indication of a good shot is how it comes out and the puck left behind etc.

I also have the same collar issue - mine has finally reached the limit and water gushes out. Is there any chance i can get a link to the instructions? Have been looking but no luck - except google did point me here* :)
    The gauge is useful as a guide.. But not a direct measurement. Look for sweet spot on CS.

As to that small puddle, I seriously doubt that it is from the gauge as it is not above the steam pump, but could be wrong.* Have seen a few puddles and leaks and it is surprising where some start and the water ends up...

I finally got around to fixing my leaking gauge. Ive taken a couple of photos to help share the experience for anyone else that may face the same problem.

This first pic shows where my gauge was leaking from. It was the copper piping to gauge connection that was dribbling a little and dropping water directly down. This left a little puddle at the front left of the machine, basically just behind the steam wand.

The dribbling water was landing on the blue box which i believe pumps cold water up to the steam thermoblock (?). Maybe AM can correct me here if i am wrong, but I have recently serviced this pump due to scale build up and Im fairly sure it supplies water to the steam wand.

This next photo shows a closer pic of the connections holding the gauge in place. The gauge in this pic is the new gauge so the leakage marks are not seen here.

If you are going to replace the gauge, you will need to undo the bolt mentioned in the first pic and lever the sheet metal back a little so there is enough space to remove the gauge. There may be a more delicate way to do this, but my method worked fine and didnt cause any scratches.

Blog Entries

Nice post TommyV.
    Im sure that will help others that come across the same issue.

8-)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 103F3528510 link=1300537598/11#11 date=1301194357
    Nice post TommyV.
    Im sure that will help others that come across the same issue.

8-)
    Yep the Blue one is the Chinese Steam Pump that is now fitted. The earlier ones and the EM6900 came with* a RED pump that was in many cases better (but significantly more expensive).

Interesting as to the length of the thread as the few I have taken a close look at are shorter than what the one above appears....

The other issue is that normally there should not be any water in there any way...* But if the join was cracked etc then under 8 or 9 bar etc, then over time water would make its way down and - YES a leak* ::)

What i have see is leaks spraying else where and then collecting on tubing and running our in an area, often far removed from the actual source.

Good job and well found.

AM

Interesting as to the length of the thread as the few I have taken a close look at are shorter than what the one above appears....

AM

Yeah, i was a bit confused about the length of the thread on the back of the gauge, its not used at all for installation so its quite misleading. Another point of interest is the slight difference with the markings on the face of the gauge. Its hard to explain with words so ill take a pic later. But basically; the new gauge has slightly different light brown, dark brown and red zones on the gauges face. My sweet spot moved a little from approx. 12:30 to 11:30. So it looks like SB have changed the design/supplier over the years. Ill update when i get the chance.

A couple of extra pictures to help tell my story.

The first simply shows what the old gauge looks like, if you look carefully you can see i tried to plug the hole with all sorts of things. I tried solder, I tried Araldite, I wasnt that hopeful but they were potentially cheap fixes so why not try them. Neither worked at all, which makes sense considering there is approx. 8bar or 100 psi in the copper line.

This next picture explains the slight difference with the gauge faces. Old on the left, new one obviously installed.

Thanks Tommy - 2 years later I've had to replace my gauge and these pictures helped a lot, especially the removal of the lower screw to be able to lever it out.

My problem was slightly different - the gauge itself was leaking, causing the glass to become misty and water to come out the side panel. When I removed it the entire thread had snapped off the back of the gauge but I suspect I did that trying to get it out as the machine still made coffees.

My new gauge had no fibre washer at the top end, unlike the old one when I unscrewed it. I wasn't game to assume a metal-on-metal seal would be even close to working at this pressure so ended up getting a $4 pack of red, fibre washers from Repco. Their smallest size was slightly too large but still small enough to seal, and I had to cut the outside down to a smaller diameter to fit inside the nut.

All works, the backup Italian stovetop espresso has been returned to the cupboard, until the next time I make tiramisu! Thanks again.

thanks for the info, it has been of great help to me