Thread: Silvia two drawer tray base

Silvia two drawer tray base

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I love my Silvia for single caps, but as I often need to do two or more I find the height of the machine in relation to the length of the steam wand to be a real problem. The milk jug I use is perfect for a single; however when I put in twice as much milk it expands to the brim of the jug. When I tilt the jug to take out the wand, it spills. If I get a bigger jug, then it will still be difficult to tilt without spilling because the length of the wand. Im scratching my head to find a solution, and it seems if the entire machine were raised a bit, then I can use a bigger jug. Question: have other snobs found this to be an issue? how did you fix it? has anyone found the Silvia two-drawer base to be useful other than for raising the machine? any thoughts welcome.

Re: Silvia two drawer tray base

Hi richard,

Yes I have the same problem when I do two caps, I havent done anything yet but I was thinking of putting larger feet on the bottom of the machine, it only has to go up another 10mm or so.

BeanBay

Now theres a bit of lateral thinking bean bear; sure cheaper than the $180 Ive seen for the base. I must have a look to see if the feet screw off. Surely some other creative snobs have nailed this problem before?

I did buy the base when I had the Silvia and Rocky.
    Used it the whole time I had the combo and found it great.

Even though I have upgraded, I still use the base as the knockbox, tool drawer and stand for my grinder. The new machine is too deep to fit on the base, but I have yet to justify to myself the need for the $395 Bezzerra equivalent.

If only you were in Melbourne, perhaps you would consider buying mine for $120 and I could put that towards a purchase from Di Bartoli :-)

Brett.

Thanks fatboy; maybe someone else has one closer to Manly in Sydney; otherwise, maybe a sponsor will wave a flag at me with a special.

Not many responses to this post and Im not sure how to interpret that. Either very few people have the base, or many do and see the issue as pretty ordinary. Are there any more base users out there? are they useful?

Hi Richard, i am in the same spot (and geographically too!) but have the silvia and a macap, so not sure if the width is enough for the combo on the rancilio base. I may get something made fabricated but my main goal is just to protect the benchtop as opposed to height (my silvia is going on 9yrs old, i replaced the feet which were just stick on rubber type). They came off as the paint continues to slowly peel away from the steel frame.