Thread: Lelit or the Siliva? I need to buy a new machine Sunbeam died :(

Lelit or the Siliva? I need to buy a new machine Sunbeam died :(

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Lelit or the Siliva? I need to buy a new machine Sunbeam died :( Need any thoughts on the which is the best out of these two? seems like the lelit is a good value machine

Site Sponsor

Re: Lelit or the Siliva? I need to buy a new machine Sunbeam died :(

Hi kgphotography,

They have their pros/cons. Silvia is heavier - which can be a pro - less likely to move on your bench, or a con depending on whether you want to take your machine on holidays (hard to beat the Lelit for a weekend traveller* :)

Lelit body is all stainless steel (Silvia is powdercoated steel and can rust under the drip tray area) but the steel on the Silvia is so thick its unlikely to fall apart in a hurry!

Lelit has a bigger drip tray - a backflush with chemical will generally (over)fill a Silvia drip tray.

Lelit has a water tank level display so youre less likely to run out of water mid-shot. But Silvia is easier to fill - lift the lid and fill; Lelit - lift lid, take hoses out of tank, lift tank out and fill. But you can move the Lelit with water in the tank without a spill.

Both can be accessorised (naked pf, fitted tampers)

Both can make great coffee, but the standard baskets in the Lelit are deeper than the Silvia and in our experience tend to make it easier to get good extractions than the shallower baskets in the Silvia. However you can get deeper baskets for the Silvia.

The Silvia steam valve seals better (less likely to drip) due to the use of a soft rubber seal, but this seal will need to be replaced at regular intervals - especially if there is an "overtightener" in the house.

The Silvia has a longer steam arm and balljoint so its easier to position, but if your technique is good, they will both make excellent silky milk and it is just as easy on either machine.

edit: And the Lelit heats up faster.

Pick the one that ticks more boxes on your wish list and youll pick a winner.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 557A6B5D737E7C745C7E797A1F0 link=1304917830/1#1 date=1304923287
    Hi kgphotography,

They have their pros/cons. Silvia is heavier - which can be a pro - less likely to move on your bench, or a con depending on whether you want to take your machine on holidays (hard to beat the Lelit for a weekend traveller* :)

Lelit body is all stainless steel (Silvia is powdercoated steel and can rust under the drip tray area) but the steel on the Silvia is so thick its unlikely to fall apart in a hurry!

Lelit has a bigger drip tray - a backflush with chemical will generally (over)fill a Silvia drip tray.

Lelit has a water tank level display so youre less likely to run out of water mid-shot. But Silvia is easier to fill - lift the lid and fill; Lelit - lift lid, take hoses out of tank, lift tank out and fill. But you can move the Lelit with water in the tank without a spill.

Both can be accessorised (naked pf, fitted tampers)

Both can make great coffee, but the standard baskets in the Lelit are deeper than the Silvia and in our experience tend to make it easier to get good extractions than the shallower baskets in the Silvia. However you can get deeper baskets for the Silvia.

The Silvia steam valve seals better (less likely to drip) due to the use of a soft rubber seal, but this seal will need to be replaced at regular intervals - especially if there is an "overtightener" in the house.

The Silvia has a longer steam arm and balljoint so its easier to position, but if your technique is good, they will both make excellent silky milk and it is just as easy on either machine.

Pick the one that ticks more boxes on your wish list and youll pick a winner.

charlie
    Charlie, I agree with you 100% - I think thats twice now. ;D

Thats a great post that I think deserves to be made a sticky!

Thanks for the thorough reply Charlie, much appreciated.

So in the end afetr all those points what do you think is the better machine?

Caffeine Junky

Geez mate do you want Charlie to come to your house to make the coffee too?

Seriously though I have owned both and agree with all the points Charlie has mentioned above. The Silvia is a little more refined in its build but having said that, my Lelit was quite old so things may have changed. Overall there are probably more similarities than differences and you couldnt go wrong with either.

May as well buy the Lelit and pocket some $. What type of grinder do you have? Perhaps the savings over the Silvia could be put towards a grinder upgrade?

Regarding filling the water tank, I have the Nemox Dell Opera (like a Lelit Combi). I cut the top off from a 2 litre drink bottle, turned it upside town and placed the neck into the tank so it acts like a funnel. It all fits under the tank lid so stays place and makes filling much easier as your aim does not need to be spot on.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 6675736A6669070 link=1304917830/5#5 date=1304952546
    I cut the top off from a 2 litre drink bottle, turned it upside town and placed the neck into the tank so it acts like a funnel
    Dang...didnt think of that!
    I got a 50c funnel, it has a narrow neck and so the tubes running into the tank dont have to be removed for a refill.

I couldnt find a funnel that was large in diamater and small in height to fit under the lid, so kept my poverty mod!! :)