Thread: To buy new or second hand

To buy new or second hand

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi folks,
    newbie here looking for some advice.
    Im actually bidding on Ebay for a second hand gaggia Classic at the moment, but I can buy a new one for $559 delivered, is that a good price and would this machine suit a Coffee newbie like myself.

Great site btw. :)

Re: To buy new or second hand

Sorry for the double post Bigpond is so slow tonight I didnt think my post had gone through ... :-[

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 72585F45506E7A5E4158310 link=1305027814/0#0 date=1305027814
    Hi folks,
    newbie here looking for some advice.
    Im actually bidding on Ebay for a second hand gaggia Classic at the moment, but I can buy a new one for $559 delivered, is that a good price and* would this machine suit a Coffee newbie like myself.

Great site btw.* :)
    Hi cinta and welcome,

My opinion is that a brand new Lelit PL041 for $620 or thereabouts represents much better value.

Have a read here and do some research before you make a final decision.

Hahaha .. I suspected that someone might recommend a different brand and confuse me even more... ;D
    it actually looks sturdier from the picture.
    I guess what I really need to do is find somewhere to try the different machines out ...
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, much obliged for the feedback ...

$559 for a new gaggia, depends on how much the ebay one goes for, and what value you put on money. Typically Ebay stuff goes for 1/2 new price or less depending on size and age. Track a few listings and see what they go for and condition. So $1200 used for a $2500 if new machine (eg giotto) saves you $1200, but $250 for a $500 machine only saves you $250. If the saving isnt big enough, buy new. The cost of new seals, etc can soon eclipse the savings on entry level machines, whereas the cost of new seals on a top end machine are insignificant comapred to the value fo the machine.
    The question should be more like "$250 for a used Gaggia or $600 for a used HX machine or single boiler eg Silvia or VBM picollo vs $600 for a new Gaggia". I tend to buy used on ebay to get more machine than I can buying new for the same money.

Going rate for Gaggia classics on the bay seems to be $150-$250. Cheapest I saw was about $60 for one with missing plastic water tank cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by 75726363726576637F787A72170 link=1305027814/4#4 date=1305028366
    The question should be more like "$250 for a used Gaggia or $600 for a used HX machine or single boiler eg Silvia or VBM picollo vs $600 for a new Gaggia".
    The Gaggia classic IS a single boiler just like the Silvia. In some ways better than the Silvia (more reliable IMHO, boiler close coupled to group head), in others the Silvia wins (larger boiler, generally higher resale).

Ive not bought a classic from the bay, but most would not need new seals as they have often barely been used. At $10-$15 for a group head seal it is a small cost. One advantage of the classic against Lelit etc is that it uses industry standard 58mm portafilter baskets. If you invest in a good tamper and later upgrade, you keep the tamper. Not bagging the Lelit, just another thing to think about

Why is it important to invest in a good tamper, sorry I really am a Kopi newbie ... ;D

1. Build quality

2. Fits the filter basket of your machine properly. ie no gaps around the edges

3. Avoid uneven tamping.

Ive made good coffee with the cheap plastic tampers that some coffee machine manufacturers provide but never as good as the ones I make with the pullman tamper.

you need a tamper that fits your basket properly or you get channeling where you have not tamped. (around the outside etc)

your not going to get good coffee without a tamper that fits.
    it does not need to be expensive but it needs to fit to be the best it can be.

one made out of a lump of wood that fits better than a sloppy one will work better i reckon :) (may not last but)

like everything in life good tools that work makes the job easier :)

Ok guys thanks for the lesson, Im slowly beginning to understand it all though I got a shock at the price, its the same as my last bid for the second hand gaggia ... :o