Thread: Silvia and Sunbeam grinder, can the Sunbeam handle the Silvia?

Silvia and Sunbeam grinder, can the Sunbeam handle the Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just received my new Silivia yesterday from Coffee a roma thanks very much gys super quick delivery, service A1.

Question is I have already turned the grind down to 3 on my Sunbeam grinder to get it reasonably fine and OK extraction.
    Will the Sunbeam grind fine enough for the Silvia?

Re: Silvia and Sunbeam grinder, can the Sunbeam handle the Silvia?

Hi,
    I have a Sylvia and Sunbeam grinder. It would not grind fine enough even when pushed to the end of the dial. I read on coffeesnobs about adding shims and emailed Sunbeam about getting some. In the meantime I made shims from the hard plastic packaging from some wood screws. This worked well and the grind was fine enough for a good pour on about 12. When I received the shims I fitted them and it works very well on the same setting.
    Try the shims and be amazed at the results.
    Scotchy

Caffeine Junky

Which Sunbeam grinder? If itís the EM0450 or EM0480 then yes, it should be able to grind fine enough although they often need an extra shim installed to grind fine enough.

You are aiming for approximately 30ml in 30 seconds, or 60ml in 30 seconds for a double. Note that is a rough guideline only. Start timing from the moment you hit the brew button.

When trying a new grinder I will go fine enough until I choke the machine then work my way up from there. The numbers on your grinder are pretty arbitrary so I wouldnít worry to much about them, they will differ great from grinder to grinder.

You would get better quality coffee with a better grinder, but thatís another issue.

As an example, 8-10 on my EM0480 can choke my Lelit depending on dose, and I have not touched it shim wise, but I suspect its very recent stock, or I got lucky.

still have a bit more to grind down too though will look into the shims thanks for the tips guys

grinder is the 480 I think about $250 a few years ago

Iad an issue with mine not grinding fine enough, called Sunbeam, they sent me 2 shims for my sunbeam grinder about 2 weeks ago, made all the difference, up to that point I had to buy preground at a coffee shop. Now after the shim kit, I can grind my own beans, and I have more time to explore other grinders before I decide about an upgrade (rather than buy in desperation), or pickup that bargain.

attached is the brochure they Email you about the shims.

The Silvia is very fussy and needs a fine grind, but its got to be a fine consistency, but not like powder i went through this with mine, the grinder is the most important part of equipment, i ended up with the rocky after 2 cheap grinders ended up fine enough after modifying the grinders but what happens with the cheap grinders is the coffee burns as the beans are being grind-ed.