Thread: Nuova Simonelli Oscar pressure

Nuova Simonelli Oscar pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just picked up Allens oscar the other day (thanks Allen), the steam on this thing is awesome.

One thought... Im starting to think the pressure on this thing is up too high, its a bit of a gusher. Im fairly sure Im grinding fine enough, will need to experiment more

Allen said that the pstat was replaced with a better unit some time ago. Could it be that its not dialed in? or perhaps OPV adjustment required?

Keen to get the best out of this machine!

also, is it normal for these things to make a load of noise when you switch them on (gurgle type sounds), I guess thats the boiler heating up...

sorry for the noob questions, my first HX machine

Caffeine Junky

Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar pressure

Yes the difference in steam power between the Oscar and 6910/Classic is enormous.* I have 2 steam tips for mine: a 4-hole tip for entertaining and a 2-hole tip for daily use.* I find it difficult to get good microfoam with the 4 hole tip if doing less than 200ml of milk; just way too much steam power for my skill level.

I wouldn’t go adjusting valves.* Keep playing with your grind until the pour looks good; the correct grind for one machine is not going to the correct grind for another.* If the taste is good too then you have no need to play around with these things.* Don’t take offence but it doesn’t sound like you have any expertise in this area.* From personal experience, amateurish fiddling with these things can create more problems!

From my understanding the Oscar does not have an adjustable OPV anyway, but could be wrong there.

I noticed from your sig you have a coretto.* Do you have a flexible probe that could fit into the group handle?* You could check your temperature that way to see if the boiler pressure is too high and make adjustments.

Regarding the noises it makes when starting up from cold, do you blow the boler down after use? That is let the steam out or just let it cool down? If not it can create a vacuum in the boler and then you get all sorts of noise when you stat up next.

Suggest try letting steam out when you shut down, and starting up with the steam valve open, until steam just starts to come out then close the valve to build up to normal pressure.
    Can seem like a bit of mucking around, but it is generally recommended with HX machines, I have even seen it on a commercial machine that is fitted with a vacuum breaker.

The anti vac valve gives the boiler air escape. The one I have seen is essentially an upside down bolt with an o-ring. It hangs down due to gravity and is open, once sufficient pressure builds it gets pushed up by the pressure and the o-ring seals the boiler. I would have thought if it is working correctly, there should be no need to open the steam valve. What you describe is what the anti vac valve should do.

Cheers

thanks for all the tips guys. I will play with my grind a little more (seems to need finer), got a better pour this morning.

I just tried my bead probe inside the PF, it started at about 90C then dropped off I also read about this styrofoam cup technique somewhere for measuring temp. I would be happy to take it somewhere to get them to measure it with a gauge.

Steam: whoa. I took the 2-hole off it this morning, just to give the 4-hole a go, with about 200m in my 600ml jug. WHOA! It steamed it to temp in about 8 seconds. I couldnt believe it, microfoam just wasnt that great, but not awful. Need practice, might go back to 2-hole for small amounts of milk as suggested! I can get excellent microfoam with the 2-hole. This thing is an animal for steaming!!!

opened the steam this morning before turning it on, it was less noisey. the pump activated first and filled the boiler for a quick moment, then it started to heat up, and sounded like a kettle inside, boiling up (cool). I shut the steam off after it started to dribble. all good

*update, I thought Id try my old sunbeam double basket, for a giggle. Same grind as the first brew earlier on. it almost choked up, it really was slow to pour, interesting, completely different baskets I suppose.

As Im selling my sunbeam (with baskets), can anyone recommend a good double basket? prefer ridge-less. What are most people using?

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 5A717D75635D100 link=1305848951/5#5 date=1305940237
    *update, I thought Id try my old sunbeam double basket, for a giggle. Same grind as the first brew earlier on. it almost choked up, it really was slow to pour, interesting, completely different baskets I suppose.

As Im selling my sunbeam (with baskets), can anyone recommend a good double basket? prefer ridge-less. What are most people using?
    Most go for the Synesso ridgeless. Havent got one myself but would assume it fits the Oscar GH.

Artman I dont think the oscar has an antivac valve. Ive seen a mod to put one in somewhere.

I used a synesso double ridgeless, worked great on my Hx and I even bought a triple for my naked handle. Or you could try one of them new VST baskets.

Oh ok, sorry, I presumed that all the heat exchanger type machines have the anti vac valves.

Yeah the Oscar doesnt have an Anti-vac valve (I am actually looking for the mod right now ::) ). Always start it with the steam valve open and shut it off when steam starts coming out. I have done it this way since Ive had the machine but Im over it now so I wanna change it.

I use a synesso double ridgeless basket for my normal group handle and a Simonelli triple basket for the naked.

Ill also mention on the topic of steam tips, I just soldered up one of the four holes in the standard tip and it works a treat for all volumes of milk and produces as much silky microfoam as you want* :)
    Some might poo poo this but it works.

Hey espresso is best

Take a look at my thread on the mods Ive done to mine and if you want any more detailed notes PM me with some questions and Ill see if I can help.

Ive spent heaps of time reading and trialling different things to get the best out of the Oscar. Its definitely going better than stock but Im always tinkering. Anti-vac is a good easy mod that makes life a lot easier!

Thanks JB, Ill pm you.

So I went ahead and ordered the anti-vac parts from coffeeparts.com. I ordered yesterday and they arrived today much to my surprise!!!

Then tonight I got a bit keen and hooked on in and installed the valve using the same method that jb-0101 used. It took me all of about 1/2 an hour and I was taking it slow to make sure I didnt bugger anything up (tomorrow being the start of the Easter long weekend and shops shut).

All sorted and back together now and working well with no leaks in any of the joins. Hopefully it stays this way (touch wood). Although I do wonder if the anti-vac valve could be a little heavier so it bleeds a little more steam before shutting off??? Just thinking out loud.

I would recommend this easy mod to anyone with an Oscar and a bit of DIY handymanshipness. Couldnt be easier and now I dont have to listen out for it in the morning!

Well done! Have any photos? Id love to see your handywork!

Anti-vac valve pic as requested.
    http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/boostbus82/IMAG0508.jpg

Nice work - looks very similar to mine!

Haha, it should cause I followed your instructions!!! :P