Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Query about circa-Silvia machines

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9

    Query about circa-Silvia machines

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone, long time listener/first time caller.

    Were looking to upgrade from our current entry level machine of many years, appeared to be zeroing in on a showdown (cliched, it seems) betwen Silvia and Lelit PL041 when it was suggested we could perhaps do with a splash of colour in our bench top equipment. Im relatively indifferent on it I must admit, but it seemed like a reasonable thing to at least look into the feasability of.

    So, and even with relative anonymity this is a bit of an embarrassing question to ask, but... can anyone point me towards a decent machine in the up to $1000 range that is available in pretty colours? By pretty colours it really can just come down to being red- essentially anything other than brushed stainless steel.

    It seems that the Silvia v3 was at some point available in a limited edition release in a different type of finish and with red, is that still kicking around? If so is it a significant cost increase over the standard Silvia v3?

    Im happy to go above the original plans of the circa Silvia price range to around $1000 or so, but mainly just if the machine quality overall improves. Does anyone have any tips at all? Im not familiar enough with machines to tell whether price is based on capability or aesthetics, but am assuming there are a few here who rather excitedly peruse espresso machine porn.

  2. #2
    brett230873
    Guest

    Re: Query about circa-Silvia machines

    Quote Originally Posted by 575558515A40414651340 link=1305936330/0#0 date=1305936330
    Hi everyone, long time listener/first time caller.

    Were looking to upgrade from our current entry level machine of many years, appeared to be zeroing in on a showdown (cliched, it seems) betwen Silvia and Lelit PL041 when it was suggested we could perhaps do with a splash of colour in our bench top equipment. Im relatively indifferent on it I must admit, but it seemed like a reasonable thing to at least look into the feasability of.

    So, and even with relative anonymity this is a bit of an embarrassing question to ask, but... can anyone point me towards a decent machine in the up to $1000 range that is available in pretty colours? By pretty colours it really can just come down to being red- essentially anything other than brushed stainless steel.

    It seems that the Silvia v3 was at some point available in a limited edition release in a different type of finish and with red, is that still kicking around? If so is it a significant cost increase over the standard Silvia v3?

    Im happy to go above the original plans of the circa Silvia price range to around $1000 or so, but mainly just if the machine quality overall improves. Does anyone have any tips at all? Im not familiar enough with machines to tell whether price is based on capability or aesthetics, but am assuming there are a few here who rather excitedly peruse espresso machine porn.
    <-------- send a query to all site sponsors at once. Im sure one of the can source you a great looking Silvia or something appropriate to your needs. Good luck!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    94

    Re: Query about circa-Silvia machines

    I just did a google image search for silvia coffee, then clicked the little red square on the left to get pictures with lots of red and some pretty pictures came up, including a site sponsor selling them for $1100.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9

    Re: Query about circa-Silvia machines

    Thanks for that, and definitely noted to send a query to the site sponsors on specific machines- whilst I havent posted before, Ive definitely lurked and appreciate their contribution so am happy to support them. The red Silvia looks to be a faux leather finish, which on closer inspection looks a tad gaudy.

    I may not have phrased it properly, essentially Im curious about machines up to about $1k that are solid machines but are available in something other than stainless steel. Like I said- Im kind of indifferent about it but am at least trying to throw it out there.

    Im not a machine expert and struggle to gauge whether machine prices in that range are based purely on aesthetics or if a given machines increased price is justified by functionality as well (which is really our main interest). The KitchenAid Artisan 5KES100BER pictured below, for example (albeit seemingly a bit above the price range), looks nice in theory but not sure if its price is because its an excellent machine or because its a KitchenAid machine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Query about circa-Silvia machines

    That kitchenaid whilst looking good on paper failed to deliver.

    According to Mark Prince it had
    anemic steam ability which was probably its biggest knock, but had other shortcomings as well, including issues with the pump, a lack of any real cup storage, a weird way to deliver hot water and a froth aider frothing arm
    Coffee-a-roma are still advertising the red silvia, the red is "almost" leather ;D Click on their name to get more info.

    Limited Edition Animal Safe Bordeaux Red Silvia
    The Rancilio Silvia Limited Edition features an exclusive Animal Safe leather finish in Bordeaux red. This special material is exclusively synthetic and ecological, and certified in compliance with the strictest environmental protection standards.
    Apart from being red it is a standard V3 Silvia

  6. #6
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    739

    Re: Query about circa-Silvia machines

    A bit more than your $1000 but there is also the Nuova Simonelli Oscar. Coffe-a-roma sell it, red,silver or black......and it is a HX machine.

    Steve

  7. #7
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Query about circa-Silvia machines

    I cant really think of any other off the shelf options other than the Oscar already mentioned by Mono. FWIW I own myself and can highly recommend it.

    You can always have panels respray in the colour of your choice like the awesome grinder in this thread:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1295193245

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9

    Re: Query about circa-Silvia machines

    Quote Originally Posted by 5F5E5447595C46350 link=1305936330/6#6 date=1306204395
    You can always have panels respray in the colour of your choice like the awesome grinder in this thread:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1295193245
    Thats really rather groovy- I was going to ask about how doable mods just like that are, Ive had some fun over the years with trying to make effects pedals look interesting but wasnt sure if it would seem a bit mad for coffee kit (obviously Clinto may be the resident looney).

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9

    Re: Query about circa-Silvia machines

    Quote Originally Posted by 587A7B7A150 link=1305936330/5#5 date=1306203173
    A bit more than your $1000 but there is also the Nuova Simonelli Oscar. Coffe-a-roma sell it, red,silver or black......and it is a HX machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7F7E7467797C66150 link=1305936330/6#6 date=1306204395
    I cant really think of any other off the shelf options other than the Oscar already mentioned by Mono. FWIW I own myself and can highly recommend it.
    I dont mind stretching the budget a bit since its a (hopefully) a long term purchase. Id say my interest/skills are at the "about ready to step up to a Silvia", is the Oscar a next level up again as far as skills required or is it a little more simpler to operate than the Silvia (I Silvia because Ive had a couple of plays with one so can roughly gauge it).



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st May 2012, 07:48 PM
  2. For Sale, La Pavoni Brasilia circa 50~60s
    By Craig_Ward in forum SOLD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st April 2011, 05:47 PM
  3. Silvia portafilter query
    By Elephantoplasty in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th December 2009, 02:04 PM
  4. Giotto Rocket circa 2001 - should I buy it?
    By agun in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th May 2009, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •