Thread: Rancilio Silvia frame rust. Looking for recommendations on powder-coating in the Sydney area.

Rancilio Silvia frame rust. Looking for recommendations on powder-coating in the Sydney area.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello, wondering if anyone could recommend any shops around Sydney to have our Silvia frame blasted, etched and powder coated as similar to what this NZ? dude had done (http://sites.google.com/site/stejdor/ranciliosilva) to his?
    Cheers

Re: Rancilio Silvia frame rust. Looking for recommendations on powder-coating in the Sydney area.

This guy gets good reviews on a car parts forum
    http://www.cravedcoatings.com/
    as do
    http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Mr-Clean-Metal-Services

no affiliation, never used them

KJM

Re: Rancilio Silvia frame rust. Looking for recommendations on powder-coating in the Sydney area.

Id add a plug in for that "POR-15" black paint stuff. Ive used it (but not on Silvia, but thats coming - I have some rusty bits too >:( ) - works well. Seems to need a fair bit of time to harden up fully.

The advantage would be that you could brush out the rusty crud and re-finish without complete disassembly down to a somewhat atomic level..

Thats my plan, anyway!

I do wonder why they used a non-stainless frame for the machine though. For most countries in the world, the cost of stainless above good black steel isnt that great. Most countries. Australia significantly excluded >:(

/Kevin

Ive been recommended to try POR-15 on my motorbike frame by a neighbour who used it on his model T hotrod. Looks good and apparently nearly indestructible. He did say to spend time on prep work though, otherwise it may still fail.

Quote Originally Posted by 4149474F4D57574B474F240 link=1306487031/3#3 date=1306564661
    spend* time on prep work though, otherwise it may still fail.
    I had my Lucy frame coated. You definitely need to prep it thoroughly before hand. I used a bush-on paint stripper and then rust converter before it was sand blasted and powder coated.

Andrew :)