Thread: lever machine sought

lever machine sought

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Ive developed a fascination with Lever machines and I must have one - its for home use so a single lever is what Im after and am limited to a max of $1500 - any advice on what I need and where I should be looking from those more experienced in this than me?

Appreciate yr help..

Re: lever machine sought

Quote Originally Posted by 5172706B6C65606D69020 link=1307846663/0#0 date=1307846663
    Hi,

Ive developed a fascination with Lever machines and I must have one - its for home use so a single lever is what Im after and am limited to a max of $1500 - any advice on what I need and where I should be looking from those more experienced in this than me?

Appreciate yr help..
    I know its over your price range & I know you live close

Barazi in Brisbane is having a free hands on try out of the new Strega HX Lever this Saturday
    So free flowing coffee on a lazy afternoon is right up my alley

Details on the last post http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163931729

KK

$50 under your budget is the brilliant Ponte Vecchio Lusso 2 group lever from Jack at Sorrentina coffee.* I think hes getting new stock in the next few weeks.

Although its a two group dont let this concern you - its still one of the tiniest lever machines on the market.

Check out this lengthy thread for more info:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1265525881

Ive had one for about 6 months, use it daily and love its simplicity (and its coffee!)

Sniff

Hi Springbok,

I have a Ponte Vecchio Lusso 2 group and also use it every day. Jack at Sorrentina has been great to deal with. Its a simple machine but fun to use I think, and so quiet.

The strega is a bigger, heavier machine with a pump prefusion. I havent used it but I think the shot volumes are a bit bigger than the lusso. They are also more expensive.

I think jack also had an export when I bought mine which is smaller than the lusso. upright, single group.

Happy to demo mine if your up my way. Ash also has one in the SE corner and he might be up for a show and tell too.

Jacks got more stock coming soon of the lusso and only stocks red.

I have the same dilema, would like to get into a lever machine, but not over invest incase its not for me and I need to Ebay my folly. Ive been eyeing the the ponte if I was after a new machine, or a used pavoni. Would love the bezzera but "ouch" on the budget, and Ive never used a lever machine.

Ash

Depends on what kind of lever machine youre after, either a spring lever (like a Ponte Vecchio Lusso) or a manual (like a La Pavoni).

Physically the spring lever machines are easier to use, but with a manual machine you have full control over the extraction. A manual does need a fair bit of physical effort.

Im up in Toowoomba if you want to have a look and a bit of a play with a Ponte Vecchio Lusso, just pm me if interested. :)

For its NEW price point and the extra benefits over the Pavoni buy a Lusso.

If your looking at secondhand buy a Pavoni at around $4-800 I guess and learn to love it with the shortcomings as I have as I doubt you will see to many secondhand Lussos :)

Third option is to be massively patient and beat AM, myself and others to an ex commercial on the bay of evil ;D

After having used a La Pavoni (which you can just see in the pic below) for about two years I moved onto a PV Lusso.

The La Pavoni will make a decent shot, but its not consistent.* The temperature moves a lot... Id have to adjust my grind each shot.* The first was always ok, the second usually spot on, and by the third its getting a bit warm.* I always thought the steam on the La Pavoni was ok... but then I got the Lusso.

The Lusso is a great machine, even with my Sunbeam grinder (which will hopefully be replaced by a Mazzer before the weeks out), I get amazingly consistent, great tasting shots.* The steam is brilliant.* Ive not timed it, but it will steam one cup (~140ml) by the time the lever has raised, and milk for two isnt that far behind.* Its very easy to get good milk... much easier than on a Pavoni.

Id go for a two group Lusso... even if only making a couple of coffees at a time (I use one group per cup... the shots are small).* As you can see, the two group Lusso is a very compact machine... thats only a 160ml cup sitting in front of it.

One thing with the PV is that it only pumps a small amount of water per pull of the lever. I usually do 1.5 pulls (pull lever, preinfuse, release, pull again after first few drops) and get about a 20-25ml shot from ~13g of coffee. I know some ppl do multiple pulls of the lever, but Ive never achieved great results doing that.

they dont seem to be a sponsor but I recently got a Europiccola from coffeeitalia
    url removed per site sales and posting policy

I love the idea of a lever pull machine - seems to be my type of machine.

The Lusso seems like a lovely machine, and great value too.

Some good comprehensive reviews online, I read this in one: "With the Lusso, when I do things right, it produces espresso with very creamy texture and pronounced sweetness ... these attributes come at the expense of flavor clarity."

Im not quite sure what they mean by flavour clarity?

Any owners care to comment?

I notice a sponsor has these machines available...

ive had mine for about a week and i would say this is more a comment about the differences in flavours between a traditional e61 pump machine vs a narrow, deep basket sprung lever machine whose pressure profile changes over the course of the shot.

i dont have a sufficiently developed palate to be able to properly describe the differences, id have to do some side-by-side testing with a commercial machine...

I only recently got a la pavoni proffessional but if you want to entertain or make coffee for small groups i would definately stay away from it. Also stay away from it if you dont have somewhere safe to put it. It is an injury waiting to happen as every part of it gets hot.

I would say it is a bit of a moody machine and is only good for somebody who only has one or 2 drinks at a time. Anymore and it will overheat.

That said the thing takes nearly no bench space and heats up really fast. It has found a comfortable slot in between the hot water dispenser and the toaster and gets pulled out when it is in use. As for the shots they are easily better than most cafes i have been to recently and i cant comment on clarity and such because the beans I am currently using are home roasted and are probably a bit lacking in some areas anyways.