Thread: What to look out for when buying a used machine? La Pavoni Professional

What to look out for when buying a used machine? La Pavoni Professional

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Just wondering what are the things to look out for when buying a second hand machine?*

the machine is over 5 years old, la pavoni professional

thanks for help! scared ill be stuck with a shiny machine with internals/parts that are a nightmare :)

Iggs

(amended original post to reflect model)

Re: What to look out for when buying a used machine? La Pavoni

Assuming you are talking about the small domestic lever Pavoni here?

If it is parts are available from Coffee Parts or possibly Sorrentina. If it is 5 years old it will be the newer millennium series which run a 51mm portafilter and are generally a little more temp stable than the older 49mm version due to a few other internal tweaks.

Very little to go wrong with them other than corrosion and some new rubber parts needed once in a while in the plunger.

Re: What to look out for when buying a used machine? La Pavoni

found out that it is actually a La Pavoni Professional

(this one - http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/p/la-pavoni-professional/)

thanks for advice beansflying. Its over 5 years old so not sure what series it is?

so sounds like they are pretty reliable machines?

Re: What to look out for when buying a used machine? La Pavoni Professional

It would need to be 10 years old to be pre the current model so unless the seller is doing a dodgy it should have the 51mm current group.

Mine after over a year of daily use is due for a set of seals as it leaks a touch from the group (couple of tespoons of water in 15 min). Not a machine for everyone but I love mine :)

Hi iggs,

The Pavoni levers are very simple to repair and maintain yourself and as Beanflying pointed out parts are easily accessible. I agree that rust is one thing to look for, especially under the drip tray-a common place for rust on these machines. That said, rust under the drip tray tends to only be a cosmetic problem and doesnt affect performance and even then is covered up by the drip tray so you dont see it except when emptying the tray.

Check that the element is in good order as this will probably be the most expensive part to replace.

I love my Pavoni lever and love that I can do all the maintenance myself. Generally all you ever need to buy are replacement seals - strip it down for a good clean and seal replacement and it is like brand new again. Ive never had a problem with element or electrics and the electrics are so simple (a switch and a couple of wires to element) that it would be a very cheap repair by someone qualified to play with 240 volts even if you did have a problem.

My advice is if it looks good, works good and is what you want for your coffee journey then go for it. A simple to maintain/repair, fun machine that can make an amazing shot once you learn how to use her properly.

I am also a fan of the Pavoni- and I have found that the oldest ones of all (from the 1960s) are built the best and work the best.

At some point (perhaps in the 90s) they shipped machines with plastic pistons instead of the traditional brass version. Users have found that these can crack- and it seems La Pavoni abandoned them at some point and returned to good old brass. I would avoid one of these if I had a way of knowing.

What Pavoniboy said about the rust is spot on: I often paint a coat or two of varnish over the area under the drip tray to better protect it- and I also put a small o-ring seal over the screw that is in the center of the drip tray area to stop water entering the base of the unit. A coat of varnish inside the base is also a good idea as moisture can find its way in there.

Also never add cold water to a hot boiler- or you can kill your element.

Unless I was routinely making larger volumes of coffee I would go for the Europiccola version as it heats up a lot faster and works just as well, and in any case the Pavoni overheats if you make more than a few shots making the larger boiler of the pro version largely redundant...

It is nice to have the pressure gauge but absolutely not necessary.

You can add a gauge to many of the non gauge machines- but not all (some of the older machines dont have enough room alongside the boiler cap).*