Thread: Which PID Kit for Silvia?

Which PID Kit for Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey Snobs,

Considering PIDing my Silvia after having had it for about 8 months. Gronking is great, but now i want to try something else.

The Auber PID kits seem readily available from jetblackespresso in Sydney, whereas the MLG/Watlow kits still need to be ordered from the US.

Can anyone offer their thoughts on which PID to go for? Also, do I want pre-infusion or steam control? Ive seen a few posts about both, but many seem to be dating back to a few yrs ago - looking at the pidkit site , im not even certain the site is updated anymore - and the ebay auction list hasnt sold anything since 2010.

Roz

Re: Which PID Kit for Silvia?

I went with an Auber with steam control, I would get one with steam control as a minimum if you do make milk drinks. Im not sure how useful the pre-infusion is but I dont have it.

They are quite easy to install and are definitely great to have to get over the temp surfing once and for all.

There is also PID Silvia in the States NON Site Sponsor Commercial Link Removed - See CS Site Rules which sells other goodies for the silvia such as boiler insulation and screen replacements.

you can also buy PID and SSR and thermocouples from electronic shops ebay, but you will have to workout the wiring and build yourself, not too hard as there are many how tos on the internet and lots of advice here.

you can use alarm function on PID for steam control.

I just bought and fitted the Auber kit to my Silvia last week, went with the pre infusion.

I chose this one as the price suits me better then the Watlow kits. The build quality of the casing of the Auber seems to be normal and I suppose that is the price difference you pay between the kits. Though I will soon be internally mounting the Auber PID to get a stock/streamline look.

Overall the kit was easy to install and works beautifully. Did have a problem with the sensor being faulty however the guys were very fast to reply and got a new sensor in under a week.

why would i choose pre-infusion over steam control? why cant i choose both in the auber series?

Quote Originally Posted by 292C2324282120223F2A2C234D0 link=1308442794/4#4 date=1308489698
    why would i choose pre-infusion over steam control? why cant i choose both in the auber series?
    Apparently, you can. The blurb for the Pre-infusion Kit says that it better controls the steam. It appears to be an all-in-one kit. http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/s...d-preinfusion/.

ok, think Im going to go for the AUBER kit from jetblack espresso. Does anyone really recommend the Watlow PIDKITs from PIDKITS.com - does anywhere in aus sell them? Are they that much better?

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 7F7A75727E777674697C7A751B0 link=1308442794/4#4 date=1308489698
    Daniel,
    I have a Silvia with an Auber PID. I dont have either steam or pre-infusion. The pre-infusion you can do yourself by simply switching the pump on for a couple of seconds (which is essentially what the Auber device does) and the steam control... Well, Miss Silvia doesnt quite have the oommpphh needed to continuously steam, nor can you. You need to replenish the water in the boiler after 2x (2x latté) or youll over expose the element.

On mine, I flip to steam and when the temp indicates 125C, I open it up and get to dry steam and then get cracking. This seems the sweet spot for me. It just goes continuously and youll notice the temperature start to actually fall before youve stretched the milk.

So I was never in a big rush to add in the extra features ;)

Silvia + PID is a great piece of kit.

/Kevin

ive had an auber PID with steam and pre infusion installed for a couple of weeks and its great. i also got the blue led version, and its a pretty good night light for the kitchen (i leave silvia on all day)