Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breville 900 or Silvia?

Breville 900 or Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I realise that these are different price points but wondered which machine to go with in terms of whether it is worth paying extra to go to a $1500 machine? I am concerned about the Breville in terms of reliability even though know Breville has 2 year warranty.* Previously had a Saeco Via Venezia and want to upgrade. Have a solis scala grinder so probably need to upgrade that as well. We make about 5-6 coffees a day, usually milky drinks.
    I have a 3 month old so probably quite sleep deprived...and coffee deprived as our old machine is not working anymore so decision making not happening at the moment.

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Caffeine Junky

Re: Breville 900 or Silvia?

Hi Sandy. The reliability/longevity question of the 900 has been raised countless times already (myself included).

A lot of effort has been put into the design of this machine and thorough inspection by some of our esteemed sponsors have given it 2 thumbs up. Breville will back their product with a 2 year warranty.

The Silvia is a much simpler machine which if well looked after should last you a minimum of 10 years. If this is the longevity youre looking for then buy the Silvia.

For me its a no-brainer, if you can afford it buy the Breville. It will be an easier and nicer machine to use, it gives you far greater control over the coffee making process and greater steam capabilities. Will it last 10+ years? Only time will tell, there are certainly a lot more things which can go wrong with it.

Talk Coffee and Cuppacoffee have some great pre-delivery specials you should check out. Essentially you can get a free Smart Grinder with your 900.

Hello Sandy. Welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

These are two very different machines.

I have not used a Silvia so I only know about it from CoffeeSnobs.

I have tried the Breville Dual Boiler at the launch and at Cuppacoffee and have ordered one and hope to get it early next month.

Silvia has the reputation of being a solidly built machine. Many Snobs enjoy making good coffee on their Silvias.

The Breville team have worked hard over the past 3 ˝ years to put many of the features normally only found in commercial machines into their new domestic machine.

A standard Sylvia requires flushing to improve temperature and brew quality while the BDB with two PID temp controls is far more stable and will remain within 1 deg of the set temp.

As far as reliability of Brevilles, I have had a Bes860 for 3 years without trouble other than having to modify the built in grinder. Breville staff told me that the BDB is being made at the same factory as the 860.

The Breville will be a more upmarket machine at an upmarket price.

Barry

Thanks very much for the advice.

I do realise they are very different - just deciding whether to go up to that next level. Just went to my coffee place and they suggested Nuova Simonelli Musica - bit too pricey for me but did notice one on here second hand.....

Apart from the technical side of making a good coffee, the other things I like about the Breville is the thoughtful and convenience features that are included.* All these little things would make the machine very nice to live with and operate on a daily basis, things like:

• easy to see water level
      can easily fill tank from front
      big drip tray with full indicator
      built in wheels to make it easy to swivel machine around
      magnetic tamper holder (hopefully fits well with the baskets)
      auto fill boiler, auto sleep etc - so you cant blow the element

There are probably others I have left out. The last point is what makes me nervous about others using my machine, as they can inadvertently damage a silvia style of machine.

It certainly seems to be a great feature set for the money.

If you can afford it, or can justify spending the extra cash, get the Breville because it is a way better machine then the Silvia. If your budget is only $700 I would get the Silvia, its reputation for reliability is well known.

Quote Originally Posted by 013C38382C550 link=1309883974/5#5 date=1309939336
    If you can afford it, or can justify spending the extra cash, get the Breville because it is a way better machine then the Silvia.
    The Silvia has been available for many years. The Breville has not even been released. It has been reviewed and marketed beautifully. To say the Breville is better without first hand experience of both machines is extremely misleading. I would be very wary of such advice.
    Sandy, there is a lot of information about the Silvia online. Research and go visit some stores and have a play with it. See if it suits you. After all you are the one who will be using it. Wait for the Breville and have a play with it when it is launched. Do not limit yourself to these machines. Test some others. Everyone is different, and you may like or dislike certain features in a machine that will clash with other peoples viewpoints. In the end it is your money, and your choice.
    By testing a few machines, you broaden your horizons. Sometimes a nice machine may appear for sale second hand. If well looked after they can be great value.
    In SA, visit Coffee Craft. They are a site sponsor and very helpful. I am sure you will walk out highly caffeinated and wiser with a whole lot of information to mull over. There are other stores you can also visit if you want a different viewpoint. One in Stepney named after a Brazilian city springs to mind.
    In summary, try before you buy.
    Good luck with whichever machine you buy.

{Edited after being caught out by the location police ;)}

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 5354414E43200 link=1309883974/6#6 date=1309952892
    There are other stores you can also visit if you want a different viewpoint. One in Norwood named after a Brazilian city springs to mind
    Stepney ;)

Hi,

Im in the same situation, should I buy the Silvia (or an EM6910) or should I go for the Breville. We are also making 5-6 coffees a day (mainly lattes) so am thinking the Breville as it seems like a better buy in the long run - especially if you regularly have people over.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 012A202429382E254B0 link=1309883974/8#8 date=1309954197
    Hi,

Im in the same situation, should I buy the Silvia (or an EM6910) or should I go for the Breville. We are also making 5-6 coffees a day (mainly lattes) so am thinking the Breville as it seems like a better buy in the long run - especially if you regularly have people over.
    A dual boiler or HX machine will definitely be useful to someone with your requirements Jako. The Silvia is a great machine but making multiple milk-based drinks for entertaining is slow and painful.

Check out some great value pre-release deals from Talk Coffee or Cuppacoffee for the 900.

These two machines, being your choices, seem to indicate a lack of knowledge on how these machines work, generally. They are in two, very distinct classes.

The "entry level" of espresso machines are single boiler, dual use (commonly abbreviated as SBDU). It means that one, sealed chamber with a heating element in it has to make hot water for brewing AND steam for stretching milk. To do that the user must go through some steps which is usually to first brew the espresso, then turn on the steam switch, wait, bleed off some water through the steam wand, allow the boiler to heat a bit more, then steam the milk. After that, the steam is turned off, the boiler refilled by running the hot water function until just hot water comes out the wand, then allowing the boiler to fully reheat once again before it is time to make another espresso.

Beyond all that, the boilers tend to be small in most of these machines and so the amount of milk that can be steamed is limited.

Some of the "entry level" machines have a boiler to brew and a thermoblock to steam and that does speed up the process, but the thermoblocks are generally not capable of supplying steam as powerful as a true boiler.

Because of all that, making more than about two milk-based drinks at a time is pushing the limits of the machine. So for each two, or maybe three, beverages you need to repeat the above routine each time. It can be time consuming even if you get good at it, so for entertaining a group the barista ends up spending a great deal of time at the machine. For a larger party group, most of the evening can be spent making drinks.

The other half of the spectrum are the machines which feature a heat exchanger (HX) or dual boilers (DB). The DB machines name tells it all. Thee is one boiler dedicated to filling the needs of brewing, and a second, separate boiler that is just for steaming. Depending on how this is implemented and the power requirements, this can work quite well (two or more heating elements can draw a lot of current, so they have to be switched back and forth on some machines. Some do this better than others). For how a HX machine works, I have an illustrated article here:
    http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/hx.html

Thank you for your detailed response Randy G, I do realise they are very different machines - there is no lack of knowledge, I have researched them both at length. My question was I suppose more do I go with a machine that is known to last (ie Silvia) or go to the next level and spend a bit more on what I assume is a well priced (albeit untested) version of a double boiler machine. I cant spend more than the $1500 cost of the Breville but I have concerns about an untested product. Are there any other machines out that for around that price that would do what the Breville can do?

I did not mean to be presumptuous... Sorry...

Here in the USA the Brevilles have a fairly negative connotation which I assume is due in some part to the flooding of the market with refurbished, marginally-performing SBDU machines that look nice but perform with a lack of consistency. iirc, they were selling here at one point in the $150-180 range (refurbs).

I went from the Silvia (6˝ years of use) to the Vibiemme DS (HX E-61, lever group) and the difference was dramatic in terms of ease of use, speed, and quality of espresso. Any decent HX machine will show the same performance difference to just about any SBDU machine. There are lots of reasons for that.

As you are thinking, the new Breville, while exciting in initial reports, is an unknown. The two year warranty looks good, but that only has value based on who will be servicing it and how long that might take if needed (and the cost of postage if necessary).

Credit card companies here in the States often have the ability to double the warranty for manufacturer-covered failures, up to an additional year when a purchase is made with them. That would give three years on the Brev.

I suppose the choice comes down to what else is there in that price range, and how much of a gambler you are... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 494E5B54593A0 link=1309883974/6#6 date=1309952892
    To say the Breville is better without first hand experience of both machines is extremely misleading.
    I own a Silvia. I have never used a Breville 900, but it is obviously a far superior machine given its specs, and like you said. . its reviews have been excellent. You dont need to have driven a BMW M3 too know that its an awesome car.

Id like to chime in here, having used and sold both machines.

The Silvia is a robust, time-tested machine.

The Breville 900 is light years ahead, both in performance and functionality. Although it has not withstood the test of time, Breville have provided a warranty that is double most machines on the market today.

I am the type of person who embraces new technology readily, which is not unusual for Australians.

Concerns about new technology fascinate me, and they doesnt have to relate specifically to coffee machines. I am old enough to recall the grave concerns expressed about power windows and power steering in cars, yet today if I tried to sell the idea ofa wind up window or heavy steering as a positive, a car buyer would laugh at me.

I may have selective memory, but can someone please remind me of the last time, and the likelihood, of a new product such as the Dual Boiler, manufactured by a company similar to Brevilles reputation, not performing according to expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by 7D6B6E6E7F7D7178787B7B1E0 link=1309883974/14#14 date=1310023018
    I may have selective memory, but can someone please remind me of the last time, and the likelihood, of a new product such as the Dual Boiler, manufactured by a company similar to Brevilles reputation, not performing according to expectations?
    Im going to reiterate the issues with the initial release of the iphone 4 (where there were public statements, people returning them in droves etc). Note these issues are now sorted...but its just one (recent) example.

Quote Originally Posted by 55686C6C78010 link=1309883974/13#13 date=1310021867
    Lwowiak wrote Yesterday at 9:48pm:
    To say the Breville is better without first hand experience of both machines is extremely misleading.

I own a Silvia.* I have never used a Breville 900, but it is obviously a far superior machine given its specs, and like you said. .* its reviews have been excellent.* You dont need to have driven a BMW M3 too know that its an awesome car.
    You stated the Breville is a better machine. You have not used it, and it has not been released. On paper it has better specs, and more features. However, it is not tried and tested in the marketplace. The Silvia is, and has been extensively reviewed. It does not matter how good the Breville appears on paper, it is glaringly obvious this is an untested machine. I am not passing an opinion on either machine. The Breville is in a different class to the Silvia, with extra features. This does not make it a better machine. Nor does it make it a lesser one either.
    When evaluating a machine you must compare the models in their respective "classes" and their respective capabilities. If you want the features of the Breville, then you must also consider other models in this class. Sometimes a "proven" machine with a good history of reliability etc can be purchased second hand for a very reasonable price. This also has to be considered when buying a machine. The for sale section on CS certainly has a number of reasonably priced machines come up for sale.
    In no way am I saying not to buy the Breville, just keep your options open. Many people upgrade at this time of the year and you may pick up a second hand machine that you thought was out of your budget (new).

Your point about the BMW M3 reiterates my initial objection. My point was that you were claiming the Breville to be "better" without it being released. It is not a tried and tested product. The BMW M3 is tried and tested. Reviews and experiences are available on this vehicle. You can test drive one at any time. Anyone can drive it and see if it is awesome. Many mechanics can give you feedback on reliability and issues with the car. Despite this, I would not say a car is awesome unless I had driven it myself. Specs on a piece of paper do not make a car awesome in my eyes. And yes, I have driven various models of the M3 over the years, and in my opinion and for my purposes, it does not tick all the boxes to be regarded as awesome. But that is my opinion.
    If someone recommends a product purely because it appears awesome on paper, I am immediately skeptical.
    I stand behind my post.

Quote Originally Posted by 2731343425272B22222121440 link=1309883974/14#14 date=1310023018
    Ive got an example - the Sunbeam EM6910. Like many people here, I bought one of these in good faith. Each time the steam pump has failed (3 times in the first machine, and now again in the replacement machine from Sunbeam) it is away for about a month for repair. Clearly it is in a different price range to the Breville, but for around $700 I expect it to last somewhere between 6 & 10 years. I am interested in the Breville as a replacement, but am a bit woriied - once bitten....

Quote Originally Posted by 26393B21382D3A3B2C540 link=1309883974/15#15 date=1310028893
    Im going to reiterate the issues with the initial release of the iphone 4 (where there were public statements, people returning them in droves etc). Note these issues are now sorted...but its just one (recent) example.
    Sorry, but thats a very poor example, the iPhone 4 actually has one of the lowest rate if issues of any comparable hardware. The return rate is well below 1%.

Perhaps you are referring to the issues users had in the US when it was first released which turned out to be the very poor quality of the AT&T network which has a monopoly as an Apple 3G carrier.

While the analogy is poorly chosen, i think you point is self evident - only time will tell whether the Breville has any glaring design faults or issues that impact on its useful life.

At the price point it will remain an attractive entry level machine in its class, for many.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F786D626F0C0 link=1309883974/16#16 date=1310034924
    However, it is not tried and tested in the marketplace.
    Granted. Pray tell, what arbitrary number in your opinion, will make it tried and tested in the marketplace?

Quote Originally Posted by 7F786D626F0C0 link=1309883974/16#16 date=1310034924
    If you want the features of the Breville, then you must also consider other models in this class.
    By all means, go ahead and name a machine that has the features of the Breville in this class. There are none.

I think people are assuming that because some people (ie me) are being wary that we are against the machine and want it to fail.

I want nothing more than the machine to be excellent and successful. I just think jumping in when you could wait 3 or so months just to be sure would be the sensible thing to do. Each to their own though.

Also, people (vendors) are stating that the machine "blows everything in the class away". Yes, on paper, it has more features etc, and is a good machine, no arguments there....but when you are implying people should buy a BES900 instead of sylvias etc (at a price difference of around $600) then you must consider than those looking at BES900s could be comparing to $2000 machines (ie Bezzera BZ99s, Diadema Junior) etc (all of which Im aware have no PID and have their cons, but they are still competitors that are proven machines).

If a featureset is everything like it is being made out that it is, why dont cafes just buy a heap of BES900s??? (I know the answer to that).

Richard, it is your right and choice to be wary, and I support that. Advising people to wait 3 months or so, is the part I dont get. What happens if in 3 months, everything is 100% fine and then after 8 months everything goes pair-shaped?

I stand by my earlier comments and base these, not on what is on paper, but having seen the internal construction for myself, by using the machine, and tasting the results.

By your argument, every coffee machine is a competitor, and there is indeed some truth in this. I repeat though, no other machine at the same or near price point of the Breville can match its features and array of functions. These are facts.

When buying a coffee machine, Ive seen the various shapes of handles being the decision maker or breaker. We are all different, hence our different preferences and also why I stock various equipment.

Sandy asked some specific questions at the outset of thie thread. If you go back and take a look at this Richard, you might understand the reason for the recommendations a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by 293F3A3A2B29252C2C2F2F4A0 link=1309883974/21#21 date=1310040476
    If you go back and take a look at this Richard, you might understand the reason for the recommendations a little more.
    That was more a general comment of pushing the BES900 as a one size fits all solution (many many comments like this one all over the place: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1309126725/1#1 )

But I think this is off topic and I should :-X

TC

Richard,

I think it might be a good idea to go back and read the actual brief of the OP in your post above.

I have recommended that quite a few families which have come to me with similar briefs wait for a while and at least look at the Breville.

It is in a different price bracket, but my advice on this brief is to wait and buy the right machine- one which suits their individual circumstances.

With 5 kids running around, there is no way a Silvia boiler is going to last and a couple of replacements will close the gap very rapidly. Families also entertain.

Similar advice has no doubt come at the expense of many easy sales, but so be it. The Silvia was not the right machine and I get to sleep well.

Chris

I would figure that breville would not dare to have reliability issues with their flagship machine given all the hype here. If there are problems, they will be sending in maintenence engineers in by helicopter to fix them otherwise their reputation will be in tatters.

Given your situation, Id chosing between the EM6910 and the Breville at twice the price. Bear it in mind that the EM6910 is loud enough to wake a baby two blocks away so the extra $$ may be worth it for that alone!

Quote Originally Posted by 3F342C373030550 link=1309883974/24#24 date=1310049586
    I would figure that breville would not dare to have reliability issues with their flagship machine given all the hype here. If there are problems, they will be sending in maintenence engineers in by helicopter to fix them otherwise their reputation will be in tatters.
    This infers that Breville has had less concern about the performance of lesser or past models. If a company cannot stand behind all their products equally and well, then it is not a company with which I would feel comfortable sending my dollars.

When the hyperbole comes from sources standing to gain financially from that hype, then I disregard it and look elsewhere for information.

The two machines which are being discussed in this thread are so very different that it seems ludicrous to do so. The one glaring difference worth considering are Silvias long history and 900s lack thereof. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by 72414E44597F670E200 link=1309883974/25#25 date=1310053162
    When the hyperbole comes from sources standing to gain financially from that hype, then I disregard it and look elsewhere for information.
    Those who have a close association with a product usually know it best. I have a vested interest to stay in business. I dont achieve this by offering poor advice or mis-information.

However... http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/brevilledualboiler

You should also note that the Silvia of today is not the same as the Silvia model you owned, and reference to it, based on your previous user experience, is now outdated, unless you have been using the latest model.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 51626D677A5C442D030 link=1309883974/25#25 date=1310053162
    No worries Randy.

You will no doubt understand if others choose to do the same with your information.

In my case, the "hype" comes from somebody who also has a reputation to protect.

Far too many experts who have yet to see one, letalone pull a shot on one ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 797E6B64690A0 link=1309883974/16#16 date=1310034924
    You stated the Breville is a better machine
    It is.

My first post was -
    Quote Originally Posted by 5E636767730A0 link=1309883974/5#5 date=1309939336
    If you can afford it, or can justify spending the extra cash, get the Breville because it is a way better machine then the Silvia. If your budget is only $700 I would get the Silvia, its reputation for reliability is well known.
    I didnt think that my first post was extremely misleading

The 900 does not share the Silvias reputation for reliability, that goes without saying.

Many respected people have used the 900 and have given positive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by 797E6B64690A0 link=1309883974/16#16 date=1310034924
    The Breville is in a different class to the Silvia, with extra features. This does not make it a better machine.
    I think it does. It is in a different class to the Silvia. Its a class above. Maybe a few classes above.

I can reccomend the Silvia. I have one, and I like it, but I would happily swap it for the not-yet-time-tested 900.

Some may say its taking a chance getting the unproven 900, but it is backed by a warranty so it will be more of an inconvinience then a waste of money if problems occur.

Keep in mind, that if the 900 lives to its expectations, which many are confident it will, nothing will come close to it in that price range, not even the legendary Silvia.

Quote Originally Posted by 5442474756545851515252370 link=1309883974/14#14 date=1310023018
    The Breville 900 is light years ahead, both in performance and functionality.* Although it has not withstood the test of time, Breville have provided a warranty that is double most machines on the market today.
    I think the warranty period is largely irrelevant.* Whether buying a Silvia or BDB Id be hoping for it to be going well beyond the expiry of the warranty period!

It is my opinion from what I know of each machine (for the record, no first hand experience with either) that their strengths clearly lie in different areas.* The Silvia is a solid performer, with a proven record for longevity.* Not flash, but built solid, and would be fair to expect a long working life out of it... and solid resale value.

The strength of the BDB on the other hand, appears to be features for $.* It appears to be a pretty flashy, highly featured unit for the money.* By all reports it should produce better results, more consistently than the Silvia.* Regardless of the fact it has a longer warranty than many other machines, I dont believe this inidicates it will, or should, last longer.

I think the best indicator of life expectancy would be to look at other Breville models - with the one caveat: at $1,500 odd it stands to reason it is more likely to be well treated compared to a $150 cheapy!*

If well cared for I would imagine you should still get a good number of years service.* I know its been "bench tested" for a 10 year working life, but if I were to buy one and it had a 10 year "real world" working life, Id think myself pretty lucky.* Im skeptical it would last anywhere near as long as the Silvia... but Im not sure it has to.

Roz

I have a silvia (with pid) and love it but only when I need to make one coffee at a time and I make sure it gets a good 45 minute warmup as a minimum.

When the chance came to pre order the breville I jumped at it with a lot of prior knowledge and reports about the machine.

Its going to help me out for entertaining people, if someone comes around un announced I can put the machine on straight away and in 10 or so minutes it should be good to go, and I will be able to texture milk straight away without letting the espresso sit to long on its on.

To me the Silvia is great if you want it for yourself and no one else drinks coffee unless they are happy to wait :P

There is no question in my mind that you want to make 5-6 milk based drinks a day a HX or Double boiler is highly recommended saving the hassle that single boilers carry.

I cant wait to put aside the silvia and enjoy coffee on the BDB.

Quote Originally Posted by 67545B514C6A721B350 link=1309883974/25#25 date=1310053162
    This infers that Breville has had less concern about the performance of lesser or past models. If a company cannot stand behind all their products equally and well, then it is not a company with which I would feel comfortable sending my dollars.
    Personally, we have experienced nothing but the best possible service and support from Breville, covering a wide range of their products bought through several decades. Ditto from several of our friends and relations....

If I was in the market for the new 900, Id have no qualms purchasing one...

Mal.

I have a friend in San Francisco, he is a string instrument designer, worked for Gibson and other companies as well as having his own brand at one stage.
    The last 10 years he has worked for different companies that manufacture in China.
    He decided to revive an old line that he had secured the name of in his travels and his passion was to build the best bang for buck instruments around, he wanted to take on a few of the more reputable companies and show them what can be done.

I used to go on a forum and tell everyone how good these instruments would be, i was lucky enough to see the passion first hand as well as the work going on behind the scenes, all the good ole boys on the forum wouldnt here of it, they wouldnt believe a Chinese instrument could rival let alone be better than an American made instrument.

Well long story short his line of instruments are selling like hot cakes and a lot of the early nay sayers are now believers, yes they had some small teething problems but nothing major.

I see a lot of interesting similarity between what my friend set out to achieve and what Breville are trying to achieve and with the right people involved anything is possible.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by 02313E34290F177E500 link=1309883974/25#25 date=1310053162
    JayBee wrote Today at 12:39am:

It does. But it doesnt infer that their normal level of support for those lesser or past models is not perfectly acceptable.

You must find it difficult to spend money - this is standard practice the world over ;)

Hmm, Im trying to decide between a Silvia or a BES900 too.

Ive got a naked portafilter for a Silvia... Does anyone have any idea if it would fit in the BES900, considering they are both 58mm... Or is it wishful thinking? :)

I doubt it would fit, diameter will probably be close but the lugs will most likely be the wrong height/shape.

this thread was going to be my first question! and after reading it, Im still unsure...

Id be keen for the time tested silvia, but was thinking of a PID controller for the silvia, for better controll

Now seeing the BDB has this as well as the pre-infusion function and instant milk froathing would be great.

Are there still early-adopter specials available for melbournians? I see TC have gone through their allocation

Quote Originally Posted by 737A677165677073707661150 link=1309883974/36#36 date=1310290866
    this thread was going to be my first question!
    Well the answer is 42!

Quote Originally Posted by 5A5149525555300 link=1309883974/37#37 date=1310292249
    Well the answer is 42!
    Thanks Slartibartfast ;)

Quick question RE: deals on the Breville:

Was hoping to procure a machine through E61 but apparently they will not be stocking the machines any more :(

So, question is: Will the large retailers also be offering the Smart Grinder as part of the initial upfront bundle?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7F78606472652E2E2E170 link=1309883974/39#39 date=1310336301
    So, question is: Will the large retailers also be offering the Smart Grinder as part of the initial upfront bundle?
    Hi howser,

Id think the best bet is to ask one or two ;)

With demand certain to far exceed initial supply, I cant see why theyd need nor want to?

With all the hoohah here and elsewhere, I lost incentive to work for pretty much zero return and I closed my early adopters offer. Perhaps Cuppacoffee may have some left.

Best bet is to ask Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by 4E7B76714559757C7C7F7F1A0 link=1309883974/40#40 date=1310337058
    Id think the best bet is to ask one or two
    Yeah, most of the people who work in the small appliance section of large retailers have little idea about existing products, let alone products soon to be released.

My question was more directed to Phil as Im pretty sure he would be able advise....

Quote Originally Posted by 4E7B76714559757C7C7F7F1A0 link=1309883974/40#40 date=1310337058
    With demand certain to far exceed initial supply, I cant see why theyd need nor want to?
    While interest in "coffee circles" has by all accounts been overwhelming Id be surprised if the general public know / care?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5750484C5A4D0606063F0 link=1309883974/41#41 date=1310353801
    While interest in "coffee circles" has by all accounts been overwhelming Id be surprised if the general public know / care?
    ....which will lead them into the majors if/when the specialty retailers sell out. No? :-?

Im guessing stock will initially be spread pretty thin and that some will miss out.

Chris

I will base my purchase of a BDB on nothing but a spec sheet and a proven history of reliability of breville products in my household. If my kettle (5 year old top of the line) has managed to survive two moves, one baby and one sleep deprived stay at home mum (with an addiction to instant coffee), i have faith in their ability to produce reliable appliances.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 696E76726473383838010 link=1309883974/41#41 date=1310353801
    My question was more directed to Phil as Im pretty sure he would be able advise....
    Thats going to be up to each individual retailer & not really something we can control, or want to.....

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 68666E6B6C626D7175050 link=1309883974/44#44 date=1310366027
    Thats going to be up to each individual retailer & not really something we can control, or want to.....

Cheers, Phil
    Really? Im pretty sure manufacturers regularly provide bundling promotions to increase visibility/sale-ability of products. The occasional Sunbeam 6910 / EM480 is a case in point, is it not?

Whether or not you want to offer that is a different kettle of fish. Or hopper of beans. Or carton on milk. I think you get the gist :D

Quote Originally Posted by 6760787C6A7D3636360F0 link=1309883974/45#45 date=1310607083
    Quote Originally Posted by 68666E6B6C626D7175050 link=1309883974/44#44 date=1310366027

Cheers, Phil
    Really? Im pretty sure manufacturers regularly provide bundling promotions to increase visibility/sale-ability of products. The occasional Sunbeam 6910 / EM480 is a case in point, is it not?

Whether or not you want to offer that is a different kettle of fish. Or hopper of beans. Or carton on milk. I think you get the gist* :D
    Hi howser,

Do you know if its the manufacturer providing these or is it the decision of the large players to slash their margins (aka bloodbath)?

And if you were just about to release a new anything into the market, would your first sales strategy be to discount it?

The early adopter package specials were made available to promote the machine prior to launch, and in recognition that in many cases, purchases were being made on faith, site unseen.

I have no doubt that the day will come when the big guys offer a promo. I dont see any point in worrying about it or trying to 2nd guess what, if any, inclusions might ever be offered until that day arrives.

Cheers!
    Den (aka Cuppacoffee)

KJM

Sandy - if it helps - I have a Silvia with a PID you might be able to either short term borrow to evaluate, or come over and have a crack..

While at [s]Beanbay[/s] Beanology I had a play with the Breville and was quite impressed.* The insides (from photos - not personal viewing) look well done.

Let me know if you want to mess with Miss Silvia.* Im less than 20km from the GPO in Adelaide..

/Kevin

KJM

Crikey - thanks Mal. "Beanbay" :-[ Must have been more tired than I thought.

Just a smallish follow on from the original question - I think youll be up for a new grinder for sure. As someone who tried the grinder you have with his Silvia years ago.... it wont be happy.

/Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 527378787F65160 link=1309883974/46#46 date=1310629314
    And if you were just about to release a new anything into the market, would your first sales strategy be to discount it?
    How is bundling a SmartGrinder considered discounting?

Sorry, I wouldnt be pushing the point but I have little else to do until the Breville is released :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast