Thread: 6910 - How good compared to a Giotto Rocket?

6910 - How good compared to a Giotto Rocket?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I have previously had use of a Giotto Rocket which I loved and I had consistently good shots. I moved and I grabbed a 6910 (second hand) and I was wondering how good a shot I can expect to get compared to my old machine? The reputation of the 6910 is there but obviously a different level of machine compared to a Giotto. I have had a quick play and I must say Iím nowhere near getting it right. Iím just trying to workout what result to expect (compared to the Giotto) so I can judge if this machine is behaving correctly (being second-hand). I am using a Doge 63 that I have never used before so in combination Iím using a lot of beans trying to balance this beast. I will be getting an em0480 shortly which will make it easier to balance and cheaper (doserless Ė less wastage)

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers Bryan

Re: 6910 - How good compared to a Giotto Rocket?

I have both, having moved in the opposite direction!

It is absolutely possible to get a great and consistant cup out of the em6910. Not as good as the Rocket which I put down to the pulstating pump as the Sunbeam has superb temp consistancy.

The trick to the Sunbeam is located here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1293457924/new

I asked for help here on CS and the brilliant advice I recieved took my coffee making to a new level.

In summary: Buy a great grinder, use around 20g of coffee carefully measured (I weigh my beans), tamp the coffee firmly so that the 5c test applies (a 5c coin on the tampped coffee will be slightly indented into the coffee when the handle is inserted into the machine), 25-30 sec pour.

You can fiddle with brew and steam wettness too, most advise to max out everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 425A59595A3B0 link=1310082995/0#0 date=1310082995
    (doserless Ė less wastage)
    Not really true and the em0480 would be the lowest level grinder you would consider making espresso from. If you can stretch to a better grinder then you will get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F293E352F2830325B0 link=1310082995/2#2 date=1310085989
    Not really true and the em0480 would be the lowest level grinder you would consider making espresso from. If you can stretch to a better grinder then you will get better results.
    I agree re the quality and depending if I can sell / trade my Doge I will get something better. Iím sure I could pre weigh my beans to only grind what I want but Im too lazy - any other ideas how I would like to hear them as it is rated very highly.

Jaybee, thanks for the link and advice

Cheers Bryan

Caffeine Junky

Good advice from the above 2 posters. Firstly I would stick with the Doge, if working correctly it will give a better quality grind and not necessarily waste any more coffee.

Use the 5 cent piece trick to get your dose right. Once that is right work on the grind. Work on one variable at a time.

You should be able to get a good quality and consistent shot from the machine, if it is working correctly. :)

I have both a SunBeam EM6910 & Rancilio Rocky and a Giotto Rocket Evoluzione & Mazzer Super Jolly-E.

So far, the SunBeam seems to be less operator dependant to get a nice tasting coffee.* I suspect that this has more to do with the SunBeams double basket being more of a triple basket and possibly because Ive had this combo for nearly 5 years now.

The Giotto is new to me and Im having to relearn how to tamp the puck properly and set the grind on the Mazzer to the right coarseness (or is it fineness?).* Still getting a lot of variability in the taste of the coffee, so at the moment, Im still having to re learn my techniques....

All this is saying is that with the lowly SunBeam, its possible to get pretty good results for the average home barisa wannabe.* But with a higher end machine like the Giotto, I am finding that I really need to develop more skills to achieve a better tasting coffee than what I can easily make with the SunBeam.* * :-[

I guess its like upgrading from a Holden Swift to a Ferrari - the latter may be a more powerful machine, but ownership of a Ferrari doesnt make the driver any more skilful behind the wheel!* *;D