Thread: Gaggia Dandy burnt tasting coffee

Gaggia Dandy burnt tasting coffee

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Gaggia Dandy which I am not getting great results out of at present. Coffee is tasting burnt. I am also not getting a dry puk, but have a watery residue on top. I have been using beans from a pro roaster that I know and have had great results in the past from them so they are not the problem. Apparently the Dandy is the same as the Classic but with a plastic case. I have cleaned the machine thoroughly in the past week or so but no change. Any thoughts from the brains trust?

Re: Gaggia Dandy burnt tasting coffee

How are you beans grinded? What does the shot look like? How long does it take for a shot to flow out?

I have a sunbeam em0480 grinder.
    OK I am a saracen but I pull the shot straight into the milk.(Bugger I will probably get banned for using that four letter word now!!)
    Around 25-30 seconds but I havent measured for a while so that in itself is probably worth a look.

Pulling shot straight to milk -> did you steam the milk beforehand?

If steam beforehand, gotta flush quite a bit to bring the temperature down

If youre getting burnt coffee just by itself, did you find water coming out steaming? If it is not it shouldnt burn...

Soggy puck can be due to underdosage. This is comfirmed as I sometimes didnt bother to overdose and just let it be and it will have that puddle on top. But taste wise.. its not that bad.

As previously stated I am a bit of a saracen so I nuke the milk first then pull the shot into into (sounds of thousands of CS grimacing and passing out in the background....will be banned for sure for this outrageous act!!) Dosage wise it seems to be hard against the brew head (?) on the group handle. I am just not sure if the water is getting too hot for it.

**bump**
    Doesnt anyone have any ideas on this?* :( It would seem to me that the water may be getting too hot. It also appears that there is no crema too. Maybe time for a new machine!

Could be a thermostat on the way out? is it possible to put a thermometer under the waterflow to test what temp it is when it comes out of the showerscreen?. Might help with the diagnosis

Though, if its something more then a thermostat, Id say its possibly not worth trying to fix

any idea how much a thermostat would cost? Am seriously looking at a second hand sunbeam EM6910 if the price is right and SWMBO can be convinced.

Less then ten dollars for the parts, Possibly an hour or two to fix?

Dunno, youd have to talk to someone whos done this sort of thing

Perhaps its worth the time to investigate PIDing your machine? Thatd certainly be a worthwhile (and effective) upgrade

I just did a bit more reading. Seems like it may be down to poor maintenance through ignorance. I have had it a year and never back flushed it. I have just bought some caffeto cleaning tablets and descaling gear as well as a blind filter. Should get these hopefully before Christmas and will give it a good clean out and take it from there.

PS RTFM does not apply as this machine didnt come with one. I ordered some tablets descaler and a blind basket from cafetto. They took 5 business days to pick, pack and post it. Really poor service IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by 4C4D464247425A230 link=1310273364/10#10 date=1324881174
    PS RTFM does not apply as this machine didnt come with one. I ordered some tablets descaler and a blind basket from cafetto. They took 5 business days to pick, pack and post it. Really poor service IMHO
    Their website clearly states approximate delivery times, and 4 days seems to be typical. So, you waited 5 when every means of delivery, be it courier or post, is stretched due to demand. Im guessing you also got them before Christmas, as you had hoped.

Its not your problem, I know, then again, it might have been really poor foresight not to have ordered these earlier than the day they were required.

[/QUOTE]

Their website clearly states approximate delivery times, and 4 days seems to be typical.* So, you waited 5 when every means of delivery, be it courier or post, is stretched due to demand.* Im guessing you also got them before Christmas, as you had hoped.

Its not your problem, I know, then again, it might have been really poor foresight not to have ordered these earlier than the day they were required.
    [/QUOTE]
    I was quoting the time to pick and pack and post them as it seemed exceedingly long. This was not the delivery time. In fact it is now the 30th December and it still hasnt arrived. As for foresight, you would be correct, however, I had only just found out there was a need to backflush and clean machines (shock horror ) whilst searching for what the problem with the machine was. I have never owned a machine with any instructions so I have been winging it from this forum. I do appreciate what you are saying.

My apologies - I misunderstood. I hope you receive your items in the near future and that it all works out well.

You may well need to repeat the cleaning process several times and/or soak for a while as the oils that build up over time have a similar consistency to tar!

Hope you have been using filtered water. No clean for 1 year and hard water = one F*^&ed machine I had a laugh.

TC

::) or perhaps a machine which requires a descale and clean...