Thread: Help with Silvia 935 timer programming

Help with Silvia 935 timer programming

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey
    I got a Watlow 935A-1ACD0-000R controller and I want to use it ONLY as a brewing timer.
    (With another controller 96A, I plan to control brew+steam temp.)

Iím not an engineer nor a technician but have some technical skills and know how to follow instructions.

Can anyone please help me and instruct how to connect this controller to Silvia and how to program it
    to do the brew timer ?
    Avi

Re: Help with Silvia 935 timer programming

Welcome Avis... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Probably best to follow the manufacturers User Manual, linked here...
    http://www.watlowdistributor.com/HTM...rol-Manual.pdf

After having a quick scan through the Manual, the little 935 appears to be a very capable little unit. Why not consider this as a Boiler Temp. Controller plus the facility of a countdown timer?

Cheers,
    Mal.

hey Mal and thanks for the welcome ;)

Since I have on the way a Watlow 96a to do the brew+steam control, I wanted the 935 to deal with the timer only.
    I read this manual but.... Im not an engineer so its kind of hard for me to understand how to program it.

Avi

Could you clearly explain what you exactly want this to do?
    Use it as a pre-programmed timer.
    ie. you push a button, it turns a relay off/on then, after 25secs it turns then turns a relay on/off?

EXACTLY
    thats what I want it to do.
    I have already a DC-AC SSR for it.

and if possible, also add a pre-infusion phase, so the result be:

1 Sec On -> 1 Sec. Off -> 25 Sec. ON -> OFF

Thanks

KJM

Not used the exact model Watlow before, but the one I did play about with objected to having no temperature probe connected - as in you couldnt get past the initialization.

This might be a small impediment to using it as a simple timer... You could try sticking some volts in and seeing if you can get past ERR 4 coming up before you get too excited about getting it to go.

Seems like a bit of overkill. Since you said "Silvia" - why not take the brew switch and use that to poke a 555 (or maybe 556) timer circuit? (Having said that, beware that everything inside Miss Silvia is 240VAC and will kill you if you dont know what youre doing..)

Or maybe a simple microcontroller (PIC12C509 or similar) and program it to output high one second, low one second then high 25 seconds, then low.. Youd be able to drive the SSR directly from the pin and you probably could get away with no circuit board. Microcontrollers make a lot of the things people do with analogue circuits a fair bit simpler (at the expense of having to program the suckers). The microcontroller solution here would be one 8 pin IC and the SSR - no other components needed. (OK - there is also the switch, but thats already there!)

Just a thought.

/Kevin

thanks Kevin
    problem is I already have the 935 + ssr and I wish to use it ;-)
    I already played with it and indeed passing err4 forced me to connect a TC to it.
    Thats ok, as I can connect the TC that Im about to install anyway in Silvia in parallel with
    The other controller that I plan to have. (which will control brew+steam temp.)
    Questions are:
    1. how to program the 935 to do what I want?
    2. can it work just as timer for activating brew w/o actually controlling any temp. ?

thanks

KJM

I do understand about the "want to use it" part. Im about to put a PID into my Oscar just to show the temperature - simply because it is the cleanest solution I can come up with...

Anyway, I think you can program most Watlow controllers to do what you want (although it is a bit of a waste - they are such nice beasties!). Dredging back through the memory - I suspect you need to set the time to 25seconds (Ill leave you to go through the manual to see how) and conjure a way of initiating that. You might need to do this by setting the alarm to go off (set the set temp to something really low and thatll do it).

Hook the controller to the mains (use plenty of insulating tape over the 240VAC bits) and bung a DMM on the relay outputs. You might have to play around with the configuration a bit to achieve what you want. This is one of those things where playing with the device on the bench is the only way of dealing with it unless you are a dyed in the wool expert. And I suspect there are precious few of those in the whole /dev/universe.

/Kevin

Having a look at the manual, it looks like it will throw a tantrum if you dont have a temperature probe attached. If this is holding you back a standard 100ohm resistor across the terminals and set the probe to PT100 should do you fine (to simulate a PT100 probe)

Thanks Ben, I already passed the err4 , thanks.
    What I need is a detailed instruction how to program it now and if it is possible to do the pre-infusion cycle whenever I push a button : 1 Sec On -> 1 Sec. Off -> 25 Sec. ON -> OFF that would be great :D
    thanks