Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gundy

Thread: Fix for leaky Lelit steam valve (hopefully)

Fix for leaky Lelit steam valve (hopefully)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have put up with the embarassment of having a leaky wand for long enough. My Lelit combi started spluttering from the steam wand a week after I bought it and I have considered many different solutions until I came up with what I think is the simplest.

To fix it, remove the valve from the machine (2 screws to take the cover off and a 17mm open ender to remove the split nut from the valve shaft and away you go!).

Get hold of some 6mm diameter heat shrink tube and slip it over the end of the valve all the way to where the thread starts (see pics below).

Cut the heat shrink a bit longer than the end of the valve to allow for a bit of shrinkage and give it a hit with the trusty corretto heat gun until it shrinks to fit.

Cut the end off with a sharp knife and replace the valve. This effectively gives you a washer between the mating surfaces of the needle valve and stops that annoying leakage.

I did this mod a week ago and it seems to have got better over time. Ill keep my fingers crossed that it is a semi permanent fix and post here if it fails. However, if it does start leaking some time down the track, its simply a matter of removing the heat shrink and replacing it - much better than buying a new valve every couple of months.

G.

Re: Fix for leaky Lelit steam valve (hopefully)

Gday G.... :)

Very effective remedy mate.... 8-)

Have you checked the MSDS for the heat-shrink you used, just to be safe in the knowledge that nothing nasty can be leached out under super-heated steam temperatures..... :-?

Mal.

Yes Mal, I did check it out and as far as I can tell, there is nothing volatile. Im still alive and as in contol of my faculties as I ever was.

I will post a message if I drop dead :D

G.

Quote Originally Posted by 67776179767573140 link=1311237977/2#2 date=1311238604
    Yes Mal, I did check it out and as far as I can tell, there is nothing volatile.
    Excellent G... 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 67776179767573140 link=1311237977/2#2 date=1311238604
    I will post a message if I drop dead* *:D
    Not the ideal proof of concept outcome that wed like to see.... ;)

Mal.

Nice idea and application. I really hope it works, as this has been a real pita with the Lelit.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 634249494E54270 link=1311237977/4#4 date=1311286103
    Nice idea and application.* I really hope it works, as this has been a real pita with the Lelit.
    Agreed. Itd be fantastic if this turns out to be a good longer term solution.

Top work Grey [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Finally a remedy that does not require filing!* I hope this works.* Please let us know after a month if it still going good.* Im absolutely not a handy person, so is this something that I can find in bunnings?* do I need a heat gun or can a blow dryer do?

Thats a great idea. Even if it wears out after a while, simple to redo. You can get the heatshrink tubing from electronics places like Jaycar, not sure if Dick Smith sells this stuff anymore.

You can shrink it with any decent heat source, eg cigarette lighter, probably even hair dryer, will just take longer.

Just had a look and plenty on ebay for under $8 delivered.* Doesnt really say its food grade though.* The one rated to 135 deg celcius continuous and up to 300 degrees for short duration looks interesting.

Looks like DSE has some http://dicksmith.com.au/product/W4114/heat-shrinkable-material-2-1-1-2m-x-6-4mm-colour

as does Jaycar http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WH5544&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=996#1

One length would last a lifetime of steam valve leak proofing.

Not sure if they are all made of the same material re making sure its food safe. Just dont get the stuff filled with glue, sometimes hard to spot the difference before its heated.

How about stretching a bit of silicone tubing over the end? Although that will probably be too thick.

Hope the non sponsor links are ok, but I dont think any sponsors sell electronics gear currently.

Cheers

Im a little worried about the higher rated shrink tubes which has some indication that they gain their properties via "irradiation". Although they advise that the material "...does not at any time become radioactive or possess any residual radioactivity" is comforting but still...

How hot does the steam arm get anyway? still looking for food grade rated shrink tubes, if there is such a beast.

Here is an MSDS for a particular type of Heatshrink Tubing... http://tinyurl.com/3ck35ew

Some heatshrink tubing products coming out of China contain a wide range of contaminants, including several heavy metal compounds. If possible, try to view an MSDS for the particular product you intend buying prior to using it....

Mal.

Looks like you can get silicone food grade tubing in 2 and 3mm dia, with a wall thickness of 0.4mm, and 4mm dia and up with wall thickness of 0.5mm. Not sure if that would be too thick to fit inside the valve, or if a smaller dia can be stretched enough to create a taper at the end to provide the seal.

It looks like you have to be a little bit careful in the heatshrink you choose. The MSDS in Mals post above is for adhesive lined heatshrink. It seems that most polyolefin, non adhesive, heatshrink tubing is O.K.

As with anything though, do your homework to put your mind at rest. I am confident that the heatshrink I used is fine. The only thing I am worried about is its durability. It has been in the machine for just over a week now with no problems. I intend to take it out next week and give it a visual inspection just to see how it is handling the abrasion.

If its a winner I will start work on that bloody awful short steam wand. That shouldnt be much of a problem as mine has the acorn steam tip and I will be making up a short extension. After all, size does matter ;)

G.

RS Online sells something that looks promising.

SRFR Heatshrink silicone Tubing (Shrink Ratio 1.7:1)

"Used in medical equipment because of it outstanding flexibility and its ability to withstand exposure to sterilisation conditions."

Temperature rating -75 to +200░C"

But this thing is like $58 excluding GST.* I dont know if thats a spool or just for 1m!

Quote Originally Posted by 3020362E212224430 link=1311237977/13#13 date=1311344892
    If its a winner I will start work on that bloody awful short steam wand.* That shouldnt be much of a problem as mine has the acorn steam tip and I will be making up a short extension.* After all, size does matter* Wink
    I have absolute confidence in ya Greybeard!* I just bought my Lelit combi a week ago second hand and the wand is about the only thing Im not fully satisfied with.* Its the 2010 model so I have issues with the wands length, position (2011 model sorted these out with longer wand and swivel ball) and the leak.* It does not effect my shots and makes perfect lattes so I can live with it...but if I can fix it I would!

Yes, I agree. Perfect coffee from my stealth corretto beans and perfectly steamed milk but its very awkward steaming for one cafe latte.

I made one tonight and the thermometer fell off the jug while I was steaming and as I reached to grab it I ended up with milk blowback all over my jumper.

Ive got a couple of ideas for the extension and might get to it next week. Hopefully, it will be simple and sourced from easy to get parts. (one part Im looking at is for a toy steam engine)

Anyway, off to bed to dream of long wands...

G.

Saoye, you just jogged my memory when you said you bought yours second hand a week ago. I just had a look at the pictures and you have the same steam wand.

By the way, that was a very good price for a pre-loved combi. 8-)

G.

Yep, Im happy with the purchase considering it was almost new.* I did pretty well given the $300 limit the wife gave me on purchasing a machine.* Almost ended up with a used Sunbeam 6910 with the EM0480 grinder.* When a used Lelit popped up for sale in Adelaide I was ecstatic.* I managed to convince her the longevity of the Lelit compared to a sunbeam was worth the extra $200+.*
    My wife thinks Im crazy studying pours, taking video notes on grind and timing...but then again shes a tea drinker.* She doesnt want to hear about anything coffee...so I have to come online to get my fix.* ;D

So I messaged a few manufacturers/suppliers of heat shrink tubes and got one response:

"We do not have* approval for any heatshrink tubes for AS4020 for no other reason than we never been asked. The health issues would surely not be a concern since system is pressurised"

Not sure why pressurised would alleviate health issues, but he sounds sure...right?

Looking at the spec of their shrink tube looks promising:

resistant to chemical, copper corrosion and fungus, ROHS compliant, UV stabilised, flame retarded.* Operating temp -150 deg C to +125 deg C.* Heat shock @ 250 deg C for up to 4 hours.

The tube itself is cheap at 0.75 per 4ft lengths...but orders under $100 has a delivery fee of $20... :P

Im also interested in this fix, but I would recommend the food grade silicon tube option as artman suggested.
    Time to look for some suppliers...

The local clark rubber said they can get a wide range of silicone hose in, but had none in stock, so unfortunately cant try one on for size.

A metre would service the entire CS Lelit community for a while!!

I have a new valve for my Nemox I need to fit, but no doubt it will start leaking again like they all do.

Well, its over 2 weeks in and still no leaking.* Its a bit too soon to call the case closed but it certainly looks promising.* I was going to take the valve out and have a look at it but if it aint broke, dont fix it.* Ill keep my fingers crossed for another couple of weeks.

Now, back to that steam wand mod...

G.

Hi Greybeard, very promising in deed. So youre not getting even a drop coming through the wand during shots? Waiting eagerly for that 1 month mark.

TC

Sounds like a terrific outcome and I think it has the legs for longevity as well. Time will tell, but as we see this one pretty often, I think Ill be looking for some heat shrink tube like Grey found to add to all valves we replace. Any suggestions from the forum as to where to start looking to get me some?

Can I nominate this solution for a technical tinkerer award?

I think even if you need to replace the bit of heatshrink (or what ever other material works) every few months, its quite straight forward and quick, it would only take a few minutes (well it does on the Nemox). I think its a fantastic solution.

In terms of getting some, any of the suppliers mentioned would have it (jaycar, dick smith, rs, etc I think it would be more of a matter of getting the source that has the one you would be comfortable as being food safe.

Any one nearby a silicon tube supplier so they can try bit of thin tubing for effectiveness? You only need a cm or so to give it a go.

Cheers

Im trying to source some heatshrink from an alternate source as the original lot came free from a mate that works at a local factory and I dont want to ask him for any more of it. So it looks like were all in the same boat as far as suppliers go. If anyone finds some, I suggest they post the source here so that we can all get some.

I have 2 valves so the other one is modded and ready to go in if the first one fails. I expect it to at some time but it would be nice to get 3 months out of it.

Back to that mind boggling steam wand mod...

Wish I had a metal lathe!

G.

Quote Originally Posted by 2B3937213D580 link=1311237977/23#23 date=1312043040
    Hi Greybeard, very promising in deed.* So youre not getting even a drop coming through the wand during shots?* Waiting eagerly for that 1 month mark.*
    The only drip I get is from residual water in the steam wand after I fill the boiler. Apart from that it has been really good. I do tend to turn the steam valve off a bit harder than I did when I first started using the machine.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

G.

Hey Greybeard, hehe, was kinda hoping youd still have a look at the valve after a month, but agree with you "if it aint broke."
    Im only giving the steam knob a very slight finger tightness. it splutters a bit when Im brewing but other than that the occassional drip. I know if I tighten it more it would be only a slight drip but dont want to risk damaging the knob. so Im thinking of doing your mod soonish.

Three weeks today and my wand hasnt dripped...

Three weeks free of shame and public degradation...

I can hold my head up high and tell the whole world that I have a dripless wand...

If only it were longer... :(

G.

Seriously, I have turned that valve on and off over 170 times over the past 3 weeks and slurped my way through nearly 1.5 kilos of Beanbays finest and apart from the occasional drip, it has been as dry as the Sahara.

Prior to the mod, it was dripping as the machine came up to temp and spluttering when the steam switch was on.

I am a happy little cafelattechino (my version as I cant get the amount of microvelvet right) chappy.

More length, I must have more length...

G.

Agreed.* Needs to be much more substantial in the wand area...almost embarrassing how short it is.* The 2011 models looks very decent though.

I managed to get a perfect latte micro-foam once...I dont know what I did but the volume built up quickly and I even got a bit of latte art (per my profile pic* 8-)).* It was the best tasting latte...silky and smooth.* So I know it can be done, and easily too...just need to trace back my every movement to recreate.* Ive perfected my grind and tamp, now just the steaming.

Saoye, I dont have any trouble with the micro-foam. Maybe its because my previous machine was an entry level EM with crap steam. If you can get good foam from one of these machines it seems to make it easier on a machine with plenty of steam.

Try this for a start:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1220959662

It seems that even when you get everything right, the art comes and goes over time. Ive had some really good runs with rosettas and then all of a sudden they start to look like Freddy Kruger or something out of the Alien movies.

Have you started roasting your own beans yet? If not, that is a journey well worth taking. I usually roast 600gm every week in my stealth corretto for excellent results.

Now, back to the drill press...

G.

I suppose I should say "latte-art-foam" or maybe its textured milk pour technique that I got right that one time.* I get micro-foam consistantly from the lelit and as u say plenty of steam.

Im going to do your valve mod in three weeks time I think.* Need the machine to be working the next couple of weeks since Ill have guests staying over...which means more opportunity to practice my latte art!* ;D

Also, by then Ill know for sure that your fix is a winner...its really a winner already.* Hopefully a hairdryers going to do the job* [smiley=undecided.gif]

Greybeard, any updates on the "non-leaking" steam valve?* Did you end up pulling it out to have another look at how the shrink tube is doing?

I never ended up doing the mod.* I pulled it all out to investigate a rattle, tightened a loose screw, stared at the steam valve for almost a minute, contemplated taking it apart, wondered where my wrench was, then decided its time for another coffee...put it all together again... :P

Im happy to say though that the rattle was gone.* The leak really doesnt bother me anymore.* But I should do it one of these days.* Maybe before I move the machine to my office (after I fix up the ECM Giotto).

I have been very busy lately but the machine is still not leaking. I picked up some beans from Andy the other day and said that I was going to go home to take it out and post a photo. Unfortunately, I was called back to work so Ill see if I can do it this week.

Its hard to let it cool down on my days off because I usually overdose on caffeine :D

G.

Thanks for sharing the idea and findings Greybeard. Has anyone found a good supply of food grade heat shrink tube?
    My Lelit is almost a year old and has started leaking consistently so I would be interested in doing this mod.

Well I did something wrong...either I did not heat it enough or I used the wrong heat tube. Mine came apart and clogged up the end of my steam tip - woops. Got it all out fine so no probs there. I took off the part that had not broken away and re-assembled. Still leaks...but maybe a bit less than before. May try again but not for a while I think.

However I also pulled off whole steam arm at the same time and found the o-rings were perished. Got new ones and had a bit of trouble re-assembling as it is very fiddly. Dont think it is back together as well as it was before as it seems like extra air bubbles are getting in from somewhere. The steam is coming out more powerfully and with more water as well? Cant figure it out. Definitely cannot get the quality of milk we were achieving for the last year!? :-?

Orerockon

My problem exactly - the steam wand leaked until it eventually fell off. Turns out the o-ring was shot and the nut worked itself off the connection. I got the new o-ring from 1st-line equipment but I cant see how to reach the nut without removing the entire guts of the machine. Unfortunately they dont seem to give a crap after theyve sold you the part. Has anyone replaced it and if so how did you get the damn nut back on???

Hi Another Tim
    I hope you have managed to fix this by now. If you have not, the way I tightened the nut is with a modified version of an thin open ended spanner that comes with some kids toys. The metal is thin enough to be bent 90deg so it fits. Prior to tightening I used my fingers to turn it and a screwdriver to hold it in place but dropped the nut many times. As I said I found it frustratingly fiddly!

I have since done this to my steam wand http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1317304282/2#2 and it is working very well. Oh there is a slight leak but it is not at all significant and I generally leave the wand over the drip tray.

All the best with it.* :)

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to add my $0.02 here after trying the fix above.

My Lelit PL041QE steam wand was leaking, and getting progressively worse, and this thread came up highly in search results for fixes. I had some heatshrink tubing available so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Unfortunately, like Outbackstriker, the fix didn't work for me. The heatshrink was almost immediately torn apart and made it's way through the steam wand, all the way to the tip, in an incredibly tight ball. This completely blocked the wand, and was very difficult to remove. Even worse, I attempted the fix on the 23rd of December (yes, this is my fault entirely), and as a consequence I very nearly ruined xmas.

Of course the attempted repair became a spectator sport, with lot of comments from the sidelines. I got it all going again, but it's a hassle I'd rather not repeat.

When my life was no longer in any immediate danger, I started investigating other options.

As it turns out, there is now a new steam tap assembly available from Jetblack Espresso (search for the MC216Teflon + MC214-41Teflon parts). The new parts have a teflon seal on the tap, and a redesigned tap seat area. As well as the new tap assembly, I also needed a MC072 female quick release valve to connect the 3-way valve to the new tap assembly as the new assembly has a male quick release rather than a threaded end for the 3-way valve.

I decided to go all-in on this repair and also ordered a new ball-joint steam wand (MC742).

The biggest issue I had fitting the new parts was that the ball-joint wand is quite a bit larger where it mates to the T-joint, and I had to bore out the hole in the chassis to suit. Other than that, the upgrade was straightforward and easy enough to do with a few basic tools.

Whatever hassle it was to do the upgrade seems to have been worth it. The new steam tap with the teflon seal appears to be a much more reliable and long-term fix. The new wand is great. Although I've ended up with a bit of a Frankenstein machine, I'm hopeful that it will now be able to provide me with many more years of useful service

TLDR; heatshrink may or may not work (it didn't for me). If you can spare the $$, it might be worth ordering a new teflon-seal tap assembly.

Thanks to Jetblack Espresso for maintaining such a great catalogue of parts for these machines, and for getting them out to me so quickly over the holiday period.
    Dimal likes this.

Sounds like a great outcome in the end Gundy...

Mal.