Thread: Gaggia Service suggestions in Melbourne?

Gaggia Service suggestions in Melbourne?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

After 13 years of loyal service (although 5 of which it was in storage) my classic is in need of some TLC.

From researching this forum looks like it may be the solenoid valve (pump hums, steam wand works but no water from the group head).

Rather than tackling it myself Ive decided to get it serviced. Any suggestions on service in the inner north?

Cheers Bobbie

Re: Gaggia Service suggestions in Melbourne?

Could also be the pump - with low pressure it would come out the steam wand, but maybe not the group.

9bar Espresso Services would be a good start as everyone who has used them seems happy. Not sure if they are local enough for you (Abbotsford).

13 years old......

If when you depress the group actuating switch you hear the usual loud click of the solenoid valve operating, then most usually in one of these it will be the machine blocked up in the system somewhere with the residual of aluminium corrosion.

If you know the sound of the pump when it is under load and fully choked (different to the usual sound of pump that is running normally, and also different from just the hum of a pump that isnt working properly)...and if it is making that sound (fully loaded and no flow) & you heard the click of the solenoid, then it is as mentioned above blocked somewhere.

This is a job for a gaggia service repair agent or someone that is quite familiar with the machines. They are quicker to do the job which translates to less money spent on labour charges for the client.

Take it in and be prepared that the cost of the repair may not be cost effective as to the value of the machine. Only yo can decide that.

Rgdz,
    Attilio
    very first CSsite sponsor.

Thanks for the replies. I may take it to 9bar however Im only keen to repair if cost comes to less than $300 :-/. Beyond that then time to upgrade. ;)
    Cheers rob.

Since your machine is relatively new, if you do decide to upgrade, Id be interested in it for parts or restoration. Hopefully 9 bar will be able to fix it up for you though.

In my opinion, if the service cost below $300, but not far from it, just get a new machine or a good 2nd hand one. Its not too far from a good Silvia.

From what you describe, it is either a solenoid failure or a brew group blockage (if the pump is sending pressurised water through the steam wand).

Give 9bar a call, quite likely the repair will come in at a couple of hundred as both involve significant labour and maybe a part or two if necessary. The classics are, well, classic, definitely worth getting it working again.

When my Gaggia Classic got blocked up (after about 10 years of solid usage but I let it get too far between descaling) I took it for a service to Twenty-Seventh Harwun (odd name I know) in Port Malbourne:
    http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGHP_en-GB___AU430&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=harwun+port+melbourne&fb=1&gl=au&hq=harwun&hne ar=0x6ad6663fb8ef31f7:0x5045675218ce840,Port+Melbo urne+VIC&cid=1583689718227632473

They have also seviced my MDF grinder (I had an electrical fault) and stock gaskets for the Classic. This is where I buy my gaskets from every 9-12 months.

Service was always efficient, effective, and price was good - I had no complaints.

Cheers.

Just thought id post a follow-up. got my machien back from 9Bar. In the end it was a dodgey pump.... the machine is humming along nicely now. Was happy with the price and service was great.

Much cheaper than replacement with a E61 type machine which is the route I would have taken....