Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112
Results 5,551 to 5,568 of 5568
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Breville BES900 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by mully99 View Post
    Thanks Inorog! Sorted one today from a local supplier.

Another question for everone - and a real error on my part...

Totally forgot to mark the probes in the steam boiler. I know the BLACK cabled probe is a long one (as I had to replace due to rust), but wondered if you knew whether the BLUE or RED cable is the short probe?

Don't want to get this wrong and risk overheating the boiler.
    Red wire goes to the short probe at the side of the boiler closest to the edge of the chassis.

FILTER BASKET STUCK!
    Hello everyone.
    We have been noticing that the double shot filter basket gets separated from the handle and lodged up in the group head (the shower where the hot water comes through to enter the coffee puck). On previous occasions, we simply jiggled it and it could be removed, however today it is well and truly stuck up there. I've tried running water through it briefly and tried to pull it out while wearing a rubber glove, which have proven impossible.
    This does not happen with the single shot basket and only started this week. We've had the machine a good 6 years or so and never experienced anything like this!
    Before I take it in for servicing, has anyone had this issue?
    Cheer

How long since you replaced the group head seal?

Hi All,

Ive just overhauled my BES900 (new pump, Over pressure, valve steam valve and solenoid kit).

All went relatively smoothly (grrrrr at the nut holding screw for the pump - wasnt welded properly to the steel chassis) - but Im having a problem with leaking from the 1/8 BSP Male to 4mm OD connector. I think its because I havent pushed the nylon pipe in enough (there is a a brass lug from the previous breville OPV that I havent removed, was a bit hesitant). AM I right in thinking I need to cut it off to push the pipe in enough?

@howser999

Could you post some pictures on how you did that setup?

Fixed the problem BUT - NEW one has arisen. Seems like the steam ball valve is leaking from the top. I removed and checked O-ring which seemed fine, but I did notice that there was no little flat silver washer (not sure if there is meant to be one). Any suggestions.

@Inorog - see photos attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by howser999 View Post
    Fixed the problem BUT - NEW one has arisen. Seems like the steam ball valve is leaking from the top. I removed and checked O-ring which seemed fine, but I did notice that there was no little flat silver washer (not sure if there is meant to be one). Any suggestions.

@Inorog - see photos attached.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the leak described?

Does this leak cause you any issues or is it just that you hear the slight hissing sound which might be a tiny leak but everything else works normally?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the leak described?
    Yes. You remove the ball valve, disassmble the valve, and flip the PTFE seals (washers) so the conical parts that were riding the ball, are now facing outwards from the ball. The PTFE will cold flow to the ball and make a new seal.

More than you will ever need to know on the subject right here:
    https://www.home-barista.com/espress...0.html#p641819

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:59 AM.
    inorog likes this.

Hi All,

Ive just overhauled my BES900 (new pump, Over pressure, valve steam valve and solenoid kit).

All went relatively smoothly (grrrrr at the nut holding screw for the pump - wasnt welded properly to the steel chassis) - but Im having a problem with leaking from the 1/8 BSP Male to 4mm OD connector. I think its because I havent pushed the nylon pipe in enough (there is a a brass lug from the previous breville OPV that I havent removed, was a bit hesitant). AM I right in thinking I need to cut it off to push the pipe in enough?
    Are you using a 4mm QC (push-in quick connect) or a 4mm compression fitting? No matter. In either case, you need a bare end. Me? I cut the Breville end off, but I cut it off far enough back that I can put it back together with an inline QC splice connector. I keep a bag of them around. Cheap form eBayZon. Also I keep a coil of 4mm OD PTFE tubing, also cheap, from eBayZon. 4mm fittings are common in pneumatic applications. If you live in a big city like Sydney or Melbourne, (and probably Brisie), you could certainly find engineering supply shops that would have all this. But eBayZon is easier and might be cheaper.

-Peter

I have happily owned a BES900 and BCG800 Smartgrinder for the last 8 years, and in that time have apparently enjoyed 2860 coffees according to the shot counter. The machine is starting to show some symptoms of aging, and I would welcome guidance on whether to take it in for an overhaul or consider putting that money into a new machine. I have tried to take pretty good care of the machine, always backwashing it after use. But it has never been descaled or serviced, and I have not run a cleaning cycle with tablets for a few years now. I also haven't replaced the water filter in the tank since I ran out of new ones a few years back, though the water here is very soft.

The observed issues are:

1) sometimes the machine overshoots when heating up, and it can be nearly impossible to get it to "sit" on 93 degrees. I try fiddling with running the water and steam to cool it, but to no avail. This most often happens if I let the machine fall into sleep mode - when I wake it, it tends to overshoot 93 as it heats up and wont allow shots to be poured.

2) most recently, I had an experience where it wouldn't heat up past 71 degrees at all. I thought my machine had finally died, but it started working again the next day.

3) ocassaionally I get weird pressure behaviour. For example, mid extraction I hear a terrible crunch noise, pressure goes to zero and then it recovers and continues. Other times, reverse pressure sucks the coffee puck onto the shower screen.

If I do take it in for a service, I seek your advice on what I should request be done. Bear in mind it has never been serviced before. So if there are any standard faults with original BES900's those have never been rectified. Is there anything I should specifically ask for? And is it worth reinvesting in the machine if the quote ends up being pricey? What should I expect to pay?

You would have no way of knowing this other than through vigorous participation here, because Breville does not publish DIY maintenance procedures that involve opening up the machine, but it takes more than just gentle care and cleaning.

Anyhow, first things first... The cheapest to tackle yourself and causes the most egregious behaviour... The o-rings on the ends of the PTFE water tubes attached to the steam boiler break down over time and allow steam leaks. This is the classic cause of your items 1 and 2. The good news is, once you've had the cover off and everything dried out, it _should_ return to normal. You need to get yourself some size #007 o-rings (I use silicone, but others have used VITON and EPDM and they are all common). I pay $10USD from Amazon for 100 of them which includes post. It might be more expensive in Oz, but I can't imagine it would be devastatingly so. 100 of them will last you two lifetimes. There will be silicone boots glued to the boiler and PTFE tubes, with silicone adhesive. You will need to slide these up and out of the way. Some people just cut them off. I used an xacto razor knife and saved mine, though I didn't glue them back on. Using them might prolong the life of the o-rings by damping flex and vibration. But it you have plenty of o-rings and have to do the job every two years instead of three it's no big deal. The job is easy and quick, once you've done it.

Do this first and report back. I'm less sure about your item 3, but by this time, it's time to disassemble and clean you solenoid, or replace it, and that _could_ be the cause of it.

Soft as your water may be, I prefer certainty. I use scale-free water that I mix myself, or softened water where I change the softening media when hardness begins to show. Descaling of any proper espresso machine is a big deal. I try to use scale-free water and not descale at all. At the very least, you should send a sample of your tap water off to a lab for analysis of it's components. Calcium and magnesium carbonate are the primary constituents of scale.

-Peter

I have a ~6 year old 1st gen BES900XL double boiler that has very low flow, 1 ounce in 60 seconds with coffee in the portafilter, 2 ounces water with an empty portafilter. Pressure is good, solenoid (that I replaced a few years ago for similar low flow reason) is not making bad noises, machine is not telling me it needs descaling. I always use water from my under sink cartridge filter. Are the new 2nd gen double boilers more reliable? Does their user descale feature prevent this degradation in flow over time? I am trying to decide whether to ask Breville to fix or replace my unit with the new model... or perhaps jump to another brand.

I am back, baby! I disassembled the machine and removed the solenoid valve again. It looked clean but what about inside. So I popped it in my workshop vise with the flange facing up, then took 3 test leads and connected to the solenoid (it is a 120v AC unit) to wires I probed into a nearby electrical outlet (please don't try this at home unless you know what you are doing). I was then able to cycle the solenoid valve at will by working one of the hot wires. Then I poured some vinegar on the flange and cycled the solenoid. The vinegar ran through it to get to the insides and out the outlet tube. Then I blew it out with compressed air. Reinstalled the solenoid and voila, major flow... 8 ounces of water in 40 seconds with no coffee... it had been only 2 ounces in 60 seconds before. I had to totally revamp my grind, dosing and tamping to accommodate the flow. getting perfect shots again.
    So I guess I'll keep the old 900 for awhile longer.
    inorog and level3ninja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
    I am back, baby! I disassembled the machine and removed the solenoid valve again. It looked clean but what about inside. So I popped it in my workshop vise with the flange facing up, then took 3 test leads and connected to the solenoid (it is a 120v AC unit) to wires I probed into a nearby electrical outlet (please don't try this at home unless you know what you are doing). I was then able to cycle the solenoid valve at will by working one of the hot wires. Then I poured some vinegar on the flange and cycled the solenoid. The vinegar ran through it to get to the insides and out the outlet tube. Then I blew it out with compressed air. Reinstalled the solenoid and voila, major flow... 8 ounces of water in 40 seconds with no coffee... it had been only 2 ounces in 60 seconds before. I had to totally revamp my grind, dosing and tamping to accommodate the flow. getting perfect shots again.
    Would it not have been easier to just put a litre of vinegar/lemon juice/citric acid into the water tank and run it all through the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
    You were almost there. All you had to do was take out a 14mm (iirc) spanner and remove the electrical coil from the stem, and disassemble for a good cleaning. In fact, now that you are comfortable with removing your solenoid, I would do just that.

-Peter

Not really, this machine is not designed to be able to properly flush/remove all the descaling agent. Might get away with using a weak solution and doing several 8 ounce manual runs with just water... but not necessary since the solenoid that is the problem is an easy R&R.

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruepath View Post
    Would it not have been easier to just put a litre of vinegar/lemon juice/citric acid into the water tank and run it all through the machine?
    Last edited by raylo32; 2 Days Ago at 09:45 PM.

Maybe I'll try that next time, but the vinegar treatment was very easy and worked great. It's like a whole new machine. Here is a brief video, please excuse the slightly jerky result as I was filming with one hand and working the wire to cycle the solenoid in the other. This from a second pour of vinegar. Got some mucky stuff out the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    You were almost there. All you had to do was take out a 14mm (iirc) spanner and remove the electrical coil from the stem, and disassemble for a good cleaning. In fact, now that you are comfortable with removing your solenoid, I would do just that.

-Peter
    Last edited by raylo32; 2 Days Ago at 09:47 PM.