Thread: Jura Ena 5 - grounds stuck in grinder

mdubskee

Jura Ena 5 - grounds stuck in grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

We had a bit of an accident in our house today. I needed to empty the grounds in my machine, and used an old bag of coffee beans. Before I got a chance to clean up, my mum then poured the used grinds in to the machine.

We tried cleaning it out as best we could, used a mini vacuum etc, but now it says "fill with beans" when its already full, and just makes a weird noise when you try and make coffee.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean this more thoroughly?

Thanks in advance

I'm having a similar problem with my Ena 3. Does anyone know how to remove the top/sides? From my searching I've found that the problem is likely fine grounds stuck in the chute and that if you open it up you can get at this area from where the fill powder chute connects, but I cannot figure out how to get the top and side panels off. I have removed all of the top screws and the logo button on the back, but it still won't move.

I've just purchased an Oval Key screwdriver from the US to allow me to get into my ENA 5, the logo on the back rotates and comes off revealing an oval bolt, there is another one of these in the center of the front of the unit behind the cover when you remove the drip tray.

Where are you two located? I'm happy to pass the Oval Key on when I'm finished with it.

I'm not familiar with your machine, but when a grinder jams turning it upside down and gently tapping it can free it up. In your case, you would have to empty the water first. So not sure if this would work, but it might be worth a try.

Re: Jura Ena 5 - grounds stuck in grinder

Im thinking its an espresso machine with integrated grinder. Not easy to pick it up and turn it upside down.

Im sure the grinder can handle some grinds. Have you tried adding some beans and grinding away? Or perhaps get the vacuum cleaner in there?

nwood: Thanks for the offer, but it might be impractical as I'm in Canada. Where did you get it from and how much did it cost?

I have tried cleaning out the grinder area as much as I could without taking it apart (although I didn't try a vacuum), but after refilling the beans it still had the same message. It grinds, but nothing is making it into the press area.

Have you tried running either a rinse or clean cycle through the machine. I would recommend trying a clean as this may flush out some of the ground coffee that had made it deep into the internals.

If you search 'jura oval' on eBay you will get some results for the tool.

Thanks. I tried a clean cycle even though I had run one not too long ago, but it didn't make any difference. Looks like I can get that oval tool for about $15, so I guess it's either try it myself with that or pay a minimum $85 charge to bring it in for service.

Dropping Problem with Ena 5.

I am having dripping problem with my Ena 5. It drips so slow and probably I would have got just a tea spoon of coffee. I would appreciate response

Hi, did you manage to get access to your machine with the Oval Key? My Jura Ena has stopped working, won't grind beans and has message "fill beans" even though it is full. I think it may be clogged up, would this key help me unclog the machine?

Hey it might worth a shot.
    I had the same problem with my super auto machine and I dump 2 to 4 cups of rice and let it run for few cycle.
    It fix the problem and remove some coffee grease which was stuck in the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mdubskee View Post
    We had a bit of an accident in our house today. I needed to empty the grounds in my machine, and used an old bag of coffee beans. Before I got a chance to clean up, my mum then poured the used grinds in to the machine.
    Hi, It's been a while since this original thread was started but I thought I had better chip in with a few helpful tips regarding the Ena grinder. The Jura Ena machine was/is the slimest auto on the market which means that it is very tightly designed to maximise the available space on the inside to fit brewer, grinder, heater etc. There are a reasonable number of concealed fixings to maintain the outside appearance.

When I have observed our workshop technicians removing the grinder it is quite a process to remove the cover, remove the power board and another sub-assembly to then gain access to the grinder housing. Certainly coffee machines are not the most technical pieces of equipment that all of us have worked on but they do take practice.

Looking back at the original post I think mdubskee's Mum may have put the wet grinds back into the grinder. That wouldn't have been good news for any machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleetank
    My Jura Ena has stopped working, won't grind beans and has message "fill beans" even though it is full. I think it may be clogged up, would this key help me unclog the machine?
    The Fill Beans message is indicated on the machine when the brewing chamber encoder senses that there was insufficient coffee delivered into the brewing unit. The message will remain until the next successful coffee is made ie the beans are refilled and then a coffee is made.

It sounds like you have checked that you have beans. Check for any obvious restrictions inside your bean hopper. Disconnect the power to the machine. Remove the clear lid, remove your beans and vacuum any excess grounds. You can remove the protective shield (hex drive required) to gain access to the top of the grinder to remove any excess coffee beans and check for blockage. Wipe the internal surfaces of the bean hoper so that any new beans will run freely within the hopper. Refit the protective shield. Re-connect to power. Perhaps run the grinder a couple of times without refilling the beans, then put some beans back in and retry.

If that doesn't resolve the issue I suggest a visit to your local Jura service centre.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by nwood View Post
    I've just purchased an Oval Key screwdriver from the US to allow me to get into my ENA 5, the logo on the back rotates and comes off revealing an oval bolt, there is another one of these in the center of the front of the unit behind the cover when you remove the drip tray.

Where are you two located? I'm happy to pass the Oval Key on when I'm finished with it.
    I have the oval key but I can't take the side panel off, could you tell me how to ?

lfd

How to pull off the back logo in a Jura Ena?

Quote Originally Posted by nwood View Post
    …ENA 5, the logo on the back rotates and comes off…
    I have a Jura Ena³, and I could not make the back logo rotate. I do not seem to be able to get a grip on it in the first place to try and rotate. What is the secret?

The side panels dont come off the Ena machines. Not any way that I have found anyway. You have to break them to get them off. You can slide the top and bottom back and release some tabs but you need to snap the front mounting points. It's ok once you put it back together because it holds together ok.

If the back logo doesn't turn, try harder or it might prise off.

removing ENA side panel

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    The side panels dont come off the Ena machines. Not any way that I have found anyway. You have to break them to get them off. You can slide the top and bottom back and release some tabs but you need to snap the front mounting points. It's ok once you put it back together because it holds together ok.
    Has anyone figured out how to get the side panels off without breaking? I've got all the screws out, the rear tabs pulled up and released, the rear corner mounting points loose, but can't get the front/top/bottom of the side to release.

And if I need to break them, how do I do it without breaking the whole panel?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pinnatifid View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to get the side panels off without breaking? I've got all the screws out, the rear tabs pulled up and released, the rear corner mounting points loose, but can't get the front/top/bottom of the side to release.

And if I need to break them, how do I do it without breaking the whole panel?

Thanks!
    Hi pinnatifid, did you manage to get those panels off? I'm in the the same place with my Ena 5:
    Unscrewed torx screws at the top corners
    Took logo off back and unscrewed oval screw then pushed up the locking mechanism to release the back part of the panels.
    Unscrewed oval screw at the front

But I'm still unable to prise the panels off - can anyone give any pointers?

Thanks

Okay - managed to do this in the end!

Took logo off back and unscrewed oval screw then pushed up the locking mechanism to release the back part of the panels.
    Unscrewed oval screw at the front which holds in place a plastic rod/tag
    Pull the rod/tag out and down, this will release the locking mechanism for the front part of the sides which should then easily lift off.

Hope this helps someone.

Cool Genius

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBSteele View Post
    Okay - managed to do this in the end!

Unscrewed oval screw at the front which holds in place a plastic rod/tag
    Pull the rod/tag out and down, this will release the locking mechanism for the front part of the sides which should then easily lift off.

Hope this helps someone.
    The rod tag was the answer no broken covers and the end of a lot of pain and searching....

Quote Originally Posted by snobs View Post
    Hey it might worth a shot.
    I had the same problem with my super auto machine and I dump 2 to 4 cups of rice and let it run for few cycle.
    It fix the problem and remove some coffee grease which was stuck in the machine.
    Genius!! I took the whole thing apart and realized that the issue was nothing coming through the grinder. After reading your post I switched the grinder setting to coarse and after grinding a few times with rice, it started to flow.

Thanks

Thanks snobs and andytidd! This also works for me !!! Really Genius!! BUT, once the problem is fixed, don't feed anymore rice since when the rice powder meets hot water and pressure, the grounds become sticky and may stuck the brew unit. This happened to me and I had to clean the drip tray/ground out-put to make the machine work properly. Anyway, using rice to fix the "Fill Beans" error is a rather good idea!