Thread: Rancillio miss silvia v3 boiler failure

Rancillio miss silvia v3 boiler failure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Rancillio silvia heater element has gone open circuit after only 23 months and an average of half an hours use daily.
    As there is only 12 months warranty the cost will be about $250 as the element is an integral part of the boiler so this means major surgery for the machine.
    I was told by the mechanic @ the place of purchase that when steam is selected the boiler intake is closed so that no further water is taken in until the next extraction is selected so this means that on a long steam run you can run low on water in the boiler and effect the life of the element?
    Can anyone confirm or otherwise on this?
    Not Impressed. :(

Re: Rancillio miss silvia v3 boiler failure

Not being a servicer, yes on very long runs you could run dry, which will kill your element quickly, but I think theres enough water in there to make quite a bit of steam. A more likely option (only based on reading this site, not your usage patterns which I dont know) is that they are not primed after steaming, which lead them to boil dry. Do you always prime it or do you use another method of telling when the water is low? Is there a chance it could have been left on at times with low water? Is the steam wand dripping? This can empty the boiler before you realise.

HTH

That is correct. You must manually prime the boiler. Not doing so will blow the element or at least reduce its lifespan.

....I was told by the mechanic @ the place of purchase that when steam is selected the boiler intake is closed so that no further water is taken in until the next extraction is selected
    Well, i would be looking for a new "mechanic" if i were you.
    There is no mechanism on the Silvia to.. "close the boiler intake".. and you can refil the boiler at any time by simply using the brew switch ( even whilst steaming ...but that would not be wise as you could lose the steam ) !).

Ive put a new boiler in my silvia, its not all that difficult to do and they are available from site sponsors for a bit less than $250