Thread: Gaggia boiler fix?

Gaggia boiler fix?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Snobs,
    Decided on a Gaggia classic for my second machine. Love the look and group head and boiler arrangement. This of course leads us to the issue with Al boilers. No need to highlight the health risks of ingesting aluminium. Needless to say I may have found a solution, they are companies around that recoat aluminium cookware with Teflon, so what about the gaggia boiler? Should cost about $30-40 and should solve the Aluminum corrosion (and ingestion) problem for good.
    Hard anodising would probably work as well for about $50
    You thoughts?

Cheers Pat

Re: Gaggia boiler fix?

Quote Originally Posted by 536671656660775C536277030 link=1334711449/0#0 date=1334711449
    .......No need to highlight the health risks of ingesting aluminium.....
    ...You thoughts?
    I think you need to research more on the effects of aluminium ingestion before you get too carried away. ! ;)

I had a laugh! This has gone round a few times (Al vs Teflon) so I suspect a [s]flame war[/s] discussion about the merits and risks of both will now begin... All I have to say is I dont want to ingest either, but I dont know how much it really matters, if at all.

Besides, coating the top surface of a pan is a whole different ballgame to coating the inside of a boiler!

what about high temp food safe paint?

Pat, Im not one of those who is concerned about ingesting aluminium from a saucepan or spraying it under my arm pits.

However, if it concerns you then you might need to do your own research and satisfy yourself on what might be appropriate. Again, personally, Id live with the aluminium in preference to a painted surface.

If you remain concerned it might be best to give the machine to someone you dont like, or sell it and buy a replacement.

Truth is, I doubt very much that the risk is all that great, if youre really worried about it, Buy something that doesnt have Aluminium in the boiler.

Otherwise, You can try and put a coating on the boiler, but somehow I dont think its going to change anything, as theres very few coatings that can be put on there that is guaranteed to stay on the boiler walls without flaking off or dissolving. Especially if you dont have access to Industrial equipment.

And I feel that the people who re-teflon Al frypans will probably charge you a LOT more then $50 to coat the innards of the boiler, Same with those who would anodise it (if indeed they would touch that project with a twelvety foot pole)

Quote Originally Posted by 486571636C6D6A63457042657061040 link=1334711449/5#5 date=1334790129
    ....... You can try and put a coating on the boiler, but somehow I dont think its going to change anything, as theres very few coatings that can be put on there that is guaranteed to stay on the boiler walls without flaking off or dissolving.
    +1..
    Every coke and beer can you buy is coated with a simple water based epoxy lacquer, oven cured and tested by immersion in boiling water for hours.
    The coating is a simple spray on process, its the preparation and pre treatment of the aluminium surface that is tricky !

Quote Originally Posted by 486571636C6D6A63457042657061040 link=1334711449/5#5 date=1334790129
    ....... Same with those who would anodise it (if indeed they would touch that project with a twelvety foot pole)
    Or again, more expensive than a new boiler !

but if you are determined, Anodising is easy to do at home. .... Google it !

..whilst you are at it with Google,* check the effects of caffeine on the human body too !* ;)

Nickel plating would be a good long term solution, many copper boilers are nickel plated including VBM, ECM, Isomac etc. If you can find someone to do this, then it might well be worthwhile considering the Gaggia boilers are pretty much unkillable. Problem will be preparing the Al surface, removing the elements, and then getting the steam valve to fit after the plating process as it will add some thickness and this is a compression fit. All solvable with a bit of time and effort.

I for one salute your dedication to the awesomeness of the Gaggia Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D262C24102D20212B4F0 link=1334711449/7#7 date=1334832709
    Nickel plating would be a good long term solution, many copper boilers are nickel plated including VBM, ECM, Isomac etc. If you can find someone to do this, then it might well be worthwhile considering the Gaggia boilers are pretty much unkillable. Problem will be preparing the Al surface, removing the elements, and then getting the steam valve to fit after the plating process* as it will add some thickness and this is a compression fit. All solvable with a bit of time and effort.

I for one salute your dedication to the awesomeness of the Gaggia Classic.
    Yes i am smitten with the classic, it is more compact than a silvia and much better looking!. I will definitly look at at different coatings, anodising might be worth a look but i suspect the heater elements would be difficult to remove.
    Failing those i do have access to a cnc mill, brass gaggia boiler anyone?

Well i think anodising would be difficult as you have to remove the heater elements. But i just got a quote for comercial teflon food sake coating $40, sounds like a winner