Thread: BEZZERA BZ99 HELP ME PLEASE !!!!

BEZZERA BZ99 HELP ME PLEASE !!!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    please help me

Bezera bz99

Initial problem heating up and then the green light goes out while the orange light is on still so it switch’s off LIKE IT GETS TO HOT and then turn off and let cool down and it will heat up and do the same i assume it was the pstat,

Then i had a fiddle around and pulled the black box out and pulled apart the pstat etc
    now just the orange light goes on when power is on no green light what so ever

Long story short she powers on orange light only and no heating or clicking etc I have just replaced the finder relay no go either so it is either the black box or the boiler or the pump ..

I guess I measured using a multimeter between the two heating element connections which was zero ---does that mean the element is good or bad ??
    Not really sure how to check with the meter either ..

Besides the autofill box why else would I have no power ..
    I must admit I have looked well over the curcits on the Gicar box and checked the connections …
    But not really sure how to be sure i have got them plugged into the black box RL30 right or not ,,

So really were do I go now I guess 2 questions

Would a bad heating element display the same symptoms power but no heating priming of the pump etc just the orange light on and or is it the pump would that do the same ??? or show the same symptoms
    Just trying to replace the right part if you know what I mean .

If all else fails I am left with the black box (which I cannot afford ) I had a laugh

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated ..as I love this machine and have been using it for years ..

Thanks again

Kind regards

Mark

Re: BEZZERA BZ99 HELP ME PLEASE !!!!

bumpty bump anyone ? ::) ;) :(

laymans guess here?

You did what exactly to the pstat? Sounds like you tried to fix something that wasnt broken and made whatever it was that was happening worse somehow.

Gday Lauging @fate

Ok ithe machine was fine for at least 6 mths working like a dream
    Then inital fault was the machine would cycle on and heat up but was switching off by the sound of a click about 10 or so minutes into warming up so it was getting to temp and switching off but the orange light remained on so the green light was off you could not pump or use the machine whatsoever ..

So as i have done a few times before i fiddled with the connections on the RL30 Black autofill box and it has worked in the past to me it was the spade connections being loose or no contact etc ..but this did not work this time ..

So i then pulled apart the pstat checked the the clicking and the rod was functioning and it seemed fine ..
    I told chris form Bezzera this he said it is the pstat
    But since then i have taken the pstat out and the black box out and also have replaced the finder relay as i assumed it was that ..
    but still just dead if you poer on the orange light is light nothing else no clicks.. no nothing

So them i assumed it was the autofill box not being wired correctly ...
    So chris em,ailed the electrical diagram to do it in the right order before i took the 9 spade connectors off the box i numbred them in order , but when you pull the circut board out of tghe cigar box it can go back in many ways as there is 2 sides to the box where the board can go back in ..
    So i might have it wired wrong ...
    Also i tried to test the element using a multimeter but not really sure how to really do it ..
    Or i could be a dead pump ..

But my problem is or my question is if it is displaying the symptoms as described above which is at fault ..
    Or how do i test it ..
    I cannot afford a service i have 4 kids under 8 and battle with every dollar ..
    I was fortunate enough to get this machine and i tell you i have loved it every morning since i have had it ...

So if anyone can help me on the points of

Wiring up the black box RL30 ? :o
    Testing the pump with a multimeter for operation
    Testing the boiler element .. with a multimeter

It would really help me out :-X

Thanks again
    kind regards
    mark

Site Sponsor

Looks to me that is the control board, you can test us much as you want all the components, however sometimes you need to replace the part and confirm. Take it to your local technician he will tell you.

Regards

Renzo

Quote Originally Posted by 5D70465B786B6D767570190 link=1335764488/4#4 date=1335836008
    Looks to me that is the control board
    Is this a common occurence on the BZ99? My bro in law just recently had one replaced and its a costly exercise. $450 or there abouts (including full service etc).

Quote Originally Posted by 24093F220112140F0C09600 link=1335764488/4#4 date=1335836008
    Looks to me that is the control board, you can test us much as you want all the components, however sometimes you need to replace the part and confirm.* Take it to your local technician he will tell you.

Regards

Renzo
    Thank you so much for your help Renzo ..
    But you see i need help and advise in testing these parts as i cannot afford to pay someone else to do so ...

The parts for these machine are not cheap ..

Wiring up the black box RL30 ?

THANKS AGAIN :D

Quote Originally Posted by 6D7F71677B1E0 link=1335764488/5#5 date=1335837175
    Quote Originally Posted by 5D70465B786B6D767570190 link=1335764488/4#4 date=1335836008
    Looks to me that is the control board
    Is this a common occurence on the BZ99?* My bro in law just recently had one replaced and its a costly exercise. $450 or there abouts (including full service etc).

No not really i found a place where i can get them for $100 smackos less than anyone in Australia

These are excellent machines for a modest user say 5 cups or so a day ..

But if you push them hard they die and need a kick or a wiggly etc

;)

nano nano can anyone help ..

TC

Hello coolecter,

Hooley dooley.* :o :o

When I read this thread I shudder.

You are playing with 240V and its pretty clear that you really have no idea as to what youre doing.

For your own sake and for that of anyone else who may use the machine, please take it to a qualified espresso machine tech.

Lifes too short and friends and family are too precious mate.

THANKS AGAIN

TC

Mark,

I think you will find that you are on your own here.

Its clear that you do not have the expertise to do this work. Its ok. We cant all do everything.

Take it to a repairer who has the skills to do the work safely lest you nominate as Australias next entry in Darwin Awards 2012. :-?

Dear Coolector,

Greetings from Dallas, Texas!

The problem is due to either:

1. the Auto-Level Regulator (ALR)
    2. The Reservoir Low Level sensor.

Your BZ 99 will have one of two ALR. They are interchangeable, eventhough their prong configuration looks different:

1. GIEMMA RL3
    2. GICAR RL30/4ESS/F

The wiring you asked about is as follows:

Prong1 - Common - 2xBlack
    Prong2 - R1/R2 relays - Black
    Prong3 - Ev. Caricamento - Black
    Prong4 - Pompa - White
    Prong5 - Teleruttore SIC - 2x Black/White
    Prong6 - Empty
    Prong7 - SRIS - Yellow (Reservoir level sensor)
    Prong8 - SLIV - Green (Boiler high water sensor)
    Prong9 - Smin - Green/Black (Boiler low water sensor)
    Prong10 - Ground - Yellew/Green

If you use distilled water or your Reservoir Low Level sensor is not grounded it will stop powering the boiler. Its a safety measure. Make sure the two wires to the Reservoir tank and to the Chassis are connected and corrosion free.

Hope this helps.

Mark I too shuddered like Chris.
    I understand the economic situation as Ive been out of work now for quite some time.
    However I still managed to scrape enough together for Renzo to service my machine recently.

Then a few months later an unrelated problem occurred which might have required the safety valve being replaced.
    Im handy enough and the safety valve leak did not involve 240V but still I preferred that Renzo look at it for me.

In the end all it needed was removal, the mating part cleaning, replacing and sealing and she was humming again.
    The final solution was much cheaper as no replacement part was needed.

My point: that the sponsors here are genuinely concerned for the safety of you and your family not just trying to sell you a service.

Dear Coolector,

Testing the pump and Boiler is quite simple because your can easily determine if they are working. One by actually hearing it pump, the other by feeling if it heats up. I do not think that these are your actual issues, though.

PUMP:

1. Remove the pump from machine, noting how the wiring is powering the pump.

2. BE SURE YOU HAVE PROPERLY GROUNDED THE PUMP.

3. Power the pump outside of the BZ 99 for a few seconds only, to prevent it burning out. If it runs you will hear and feel it. For a longer test supply water to the pump. In this fashion you should be able to run it for a few minutes without damage.

BOILER

1.* You can test it in a similar fashion as the pump above OR...

2. Disconect the Boiler but do not remove it and test the heating element for continuity using you multimeter. This will check if you have a break in the heating element.

Bezzera BZ99

Quote Originally Posted by coolecter View Post

THANKS AGAIN
    Hi, have you already fixed your problems? I have wiring diagram (includes the black box wiring) and exploded view of the machine with part list, I can send them to you. I also have some experience fixing few problems that I had with my vintage Bezzera.