Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David8

Thread: EM7000 - new sunbeam model

EM7000 - new sunbeam model

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I posted earlier in the sub $500 machines about a new Sunbeam model the EM6400.* In searching for it online I came a cross a promotion which said the promotion was also valid for the EM7000, a quick google revealed this video on Vimeo

vimeo.com/40904859

Sorry you have to cut and paste as this is only my second post!

I called Sunbeam to ask about the model and they "cannot confirm or deny" anything about the machine when I asked the for details.* Looks like it will be a replacement for the 6910.* The guy on the phone was a bit cagey but mentioned it kept getting pushed back so couldnt say when it will be released, hopefully its not a buggy model!*

If anyone has any more details on this model please feel free to post it here

Re: EM7000 - new sunbeam model

looks nice! i like the sound of a pid controlled thermoblock. also an ingenious idea to have a thermometer for the milk steaming.

wondering what the price point will be?

I get a permission denied error.
    Says "This is a private video".

Has this just happened or is it just me?

In hindsight I probably shouldnt have told the sunbeam rep about the video, looks like they have had it pulled!! >:(

Yeah. Thought that might have been the case. Still, very interesting find.

Please post more details eg. what did it look like as now we cant see it. Well done CS busted the secret here first. ;)

TC

Theyre on display at MICE

I dont intimately know the 6910. Twin gauges top LHS of front panel. One is the old extraction style gauge (relocated) and the other is a milk temp gauge. I understand its essentially like a timer in that if you use the sunbeam jug and fill correctly and then texture, it takes a consistent time to get to the 65 deg zone. These are in a single module if I recall correctly.

I *thought* the machine might be a little quieter than the 6910 but it was pretty noisy there, so the jury is out.

Id assume that this machine will superseed the 6910 and the upgrades seem generally useful.

I saw the machine at MICE as well.

As it was explained to me there is a thermocouple in the end of the cool touch steam wand that is connected to the gauge so it actually shows milk temperature.

Dont know about PID though... She didnt mention that.

As far as price point though I was told that the machine would initially sell for $799 and that the 6910 would probably continue on at a lower price.

To me it seemed a worthwhile improvement on the 6910 but its no BDB killer.

Banned

The machine is quoted on sunbeams site as entering you into the chance to win a holiday, if you buy selected product between 1st april and 30th june.

Cant be far off

sounds like a decent holiday too.

sunbeam.com.au/au/promotions/coffee-experience/

I can see little value in Pid steam control or steam temp display.
    Temp is only a small part of quality milk , and i am not aware of any commercial machines that feel it necessary to offer that function.

Quote Originally Posted by 727C757E742522100 link=1336012194/9#9 date=1337000143
    I can see little value in Pid steam control or steam temp display.
    Temp is only a small part of quality milk , and i am not aware of any commercial machines that feel it necessary to offer that function.
    Sure, temp is only a small part. But on the other hand, maybe if some more commercial machines had it, they wouldnt be serving up searingly hot milk...
    shapeshifter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 143126393468500 link=1336012194/10#10 date=1337000468
    Sure, temp is only a small part. But on the other hand, maybe if some more commercial machines had it, they wouldnt be serving up searingly hot milk...
    agreed, but we need to be careful as its a slippery slope towards the fully auto machines that are now becoming common in many cafes . :( :(

Quote Originally Posted by 3739303B316067550 link=1336012194/11#11 date=1337030986
    agreed, but we need to be careful as its a slippery slope towards the fully auto machines that are now becoming common in many cafes .* *:(* :(
    True. Although, something could be said for a "good" auto machine taking over these smaller cafes... A cafe that you wouldnt visit because its so inconsistent... If a super-god-auto came along... Who knows? Anyway, this is getting a little off topic.

I have EM7000 image and specs from the Sunbeam brochure.....pics on iPhone....no image insert facility that allows me to brows to image in iPhone camera roll....or its well hidden....ideas pse....thanks

Sorted.......

Ugh this image uploader sucks as it fails to allow me to preview pics before posting.....yes, even if you click the preview post button..... and when you upload image direct......its rotating portrait images 90 deg anti-clockwise

Here is a list of features........one of the mods can swing the images pse..... or get techies to fix uploader....

Ugh....100% tech error replication in that both portrait images were rotated 90deg anticlockwise by uploade......but hopefully you can see/read ok...

The "3 pre-infusion programs" sounds intriguing.* Dont see any other immediate advantages over the 6910 though, and its still a brass collar apparently.

Banned

do you think theyll release a higher spec to compete with bes900?

I know it may not be final specs but i was hoping for more.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E405B4C4D685B484B404A48290 link=1336012194/17#17 date=1337321265
    The "3 pre-infusion programs" sounds intriguing.* Dont see any other immediate advantages over the 6910 though, and its still a brass collar apparently.
    Agreed. I was hoping for something a little more than this. I was kind of hoping that they would raise the bar a little higher. A PID may help consistency a little but, I have never really experienced any temperature issues effecting the final product out of my 6910, nothing that I have noticed at least, even when pulling half a dozen in a row.

Thanks to all with regards to this scoop of info - nice work fellow snobs.

Thanks heaps for rotating images :)

Info ex colleague (Engineer & multiple machine owner) who eyeballed launch unit and grilled Sbeam staff at MICE last week is that design and construction materials preclude scale and gunk buildup and the noise that are issues with the EM6910. Hes already sold.....and has wifes permission :) :)

Not sure if the new features strike me as a worthy upgrade, but it looks nice...

http://www.sunbeamqr.com.au/EM7000/

Two dials.

Must be twice as good as the last model.

Pricing looks right. Functions and feature sets seem not bad. Not sure about steaming and pouring quality but look fine from the demo video.
    It appears to me that semi-espresso machine market in AUS is more home-user pricing range with shorter (faster) cycle time for upgrade or renew. This is very diffent than those Italian made machines which are targeting sustainability and user self serviceability.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Two dials.

Must be twice as good as the last model.
    Will probably need two cardboard cutouts to cover the dials then

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Will probably need two cardboard cutouts to cover the dials then
    For sure! But this one might only deserve paper.

Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    DJ's and M (non-sponsers...) now have this model, and i managed to have first hand experience at Myer today. Basically it's an EM6910 with a new look.

Noticeable differences (other than the basic look):
    The second dial seems kinda meaningless, especially if you have a spare thermometer anyway, and certainly not worth the extra $100 on the EM6910. Other than that instead of having a steam "knob" it's now a similar steam paddle to that of the BDB.
    The portafilter is almost identical to the 6910, except the handle is now angled downwards in such a way as to make the basket flat whenever you rest it on a flat surface. Also, there's now this small rubber plate that acts as an inbuilt tamping mat when you lock it in on the corner of the bench top.
    PID to a thermoblock seems sort of redundant (correct me if I'm wrong) since the thermoblock output water temperature varies each and every time, as it heats up the water on the fly. And unlike the BDB there's no digital interface to control the PID.
    To me, the biggest upgrade is the noise. They have certainly reduced the noise output from pumping the water into a thermoblock, by making a lot less loose parts inside and out of the machine (ie. no loose heating tray on top anymore, it's all built in). It's not silent, but it wouldn't wake the kids at the early hours of the morning.

That's about it. There is of course some superficial changes, like turning the hot water wand to an immovable version, etc.

All up though, I wouldn't pay the extra $100 for a quieter machine, sleekier version of their cafe series' machine.

Thoughts?

I would definitely prefer this machine if it's quieter....... Especially if the quality and coffee making is similar to EM6910.
    The rattle that the EM69 series units make is annoying......especially in the morning.....wakes up the whole house!

So how much quieter is this new unit.....a lot ?

Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    A LOT. It barely makes a noise at all. It might be worthwhile checking it out for yourself though, and I can't vouch for it's longevity either.

Just read the review by a user on Product Review, he loves it! He also laments the lack of the dual wall baskets though.....

Sunbeam EM7000 Coffee Machine Reviews Australia www.sunbeam.com.au

Hmmm.....

Just read the review by a user on Product Review, he loves it! He also laments the lack of the dual wall baskets though.....
    Yep, that pretty much completely undermines any credibility he may have had as a reviewer for that product.

Had a good look the other day - it will still be a handy machine but really there's nothing new other than noise suppression (and that is good). As for the cosmetics I found it a bit "cheap" looking to be honest. Always good to see product development however.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I found it a bit "cheap" looking to be honest. .
    Agreed!, they have not figured out how to achieve that "Professional quality" look yet, have they ?