Thread: Lelit leakage question

Lelit leakage question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Im getting leakage of water and steam from the top/back of the group handle on my 1y.o Lelit. What would be the main culprit? Ive just changed the group seal, but this has been happening for some time before that. I get a small amount of gritty drips, and some steam hissing out the back where the handle locks into the group head. The more pressure (i.e. firmer tamp/overdose), the more leakage. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Edit: PS I have searched. Lots on the wand leakage but nothing similar to mine that I could find.

Re: Lelit leakage question

I get some leakage on mine when Ive got too much coffee in and have to jam the handle on. I try not to do that anymore.

I agree with whiteman, try the 5c test or rice test to correct your dosage

Thanks for the responses. I take your advice on board, however I feel Ive been dosing identically for a long time now. I measure up (despite being taught to heap, then level, sorry Chris!) just on 14g for the single basket and give it a medium tamp. So the amount is constant. Regarding pressure, if anything Im tamping more lightly then I used to. I get a light impression on the top of the puck, which from what Ive read is about right. Ive never actually tried the 5c test though, so I guess it wouldnt hurt. I did change the group seal, and now the pf locks in at between 6-7 oclock whereas before changing it had gone around to 5 (the seal was pretty wasted). I dont reckon I could choke this machine now, the pressure would all just escape.

I took some video to show the problem. Sorry that its sideways...

http://youtu.be/sM_vxmMY7T0

Did you take off the collar when replacing the seal? Maybe you have a bit of buildup in the groove where the seal sits in the group. Mine did a similar thing, I cleaned it thoroughly and all good.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 34272138343B550 link=1338322913/5#5 date=1338462546
    Did you take off the collar when replacing the seal?* Maybe you have a bit of buildup in the groove where the seal sits in the group.* Mine did a similar thing, I cleaned it thoroughly and all good.
    No, should I have? But youve got me thinking, Ill have a closer inspection and see if theres anything I can clean up. When changing the seal I just worked the old seal off, from memory gave a wipe along the surface the new seal would be seated on, and somehow got the new one in (bit tricky). The old seal was popping off under pressure. No sign of that now.

Thats the way I did, you undo the 4 nuts (need a thin walled 8mm socket) and the collar comes off exposing the group. It would be hard/impossible to clean the group groove properly with the collar in place I reckon. It only takes a minute to get the collar off and makes changing the seal a breeze.

Be careful as mine has 4 small washers between the collar and the bottom of the panel above. Also with the nuts removed you can wiggle the group/boiler as these nuts sandwich the boiler/group to the collar, via the machines panel.

Cheers

Thanks for that! Looking forward to having a look tomorrow night :)

Well I couldnt find the right spanner to get those 4 nuts off. Then I remembered when I put the new seal in, I didnt think it was a very good fit. It looked a bit misshapen, not perfectly round. When I did get it in, it looked like there was a gap on one side where the seal wasnt sealing properly. I had bought 2 seals so I got the spare and compared it with the one I removed from the machine (see photos). The inside diameter seems too small and the outside diameter also too small. The photo of the inside of the group head is a bit hard to make out with the shadows, but theres a definite gap (maybe 1mm at most) on one side. Could I have been sent the wrong seals? Do the seals have to be a perfect fit? (Id expect so). Any thoughts welcome.* :)

I cant recall how snug my seal is, but I dont think it had a gap as big as yours. Looks like the seal presses up against the horizontal flange of the group to form the seal, so should seal ok even if the ID is a bit too big, perhaps yours is too loose?

Maybe your seal has been distorted in storage, or has not been cut correctly.

Hopefully one of the sponsors that sells the Lelits can shed their professional insight into this.

Cheers

Thanks artman for all your input. The photos are hard to make out, but the i.d is very tight all the way around; no gaps there. Its just one side of the o.d that has a gap. Also I realise the worn seal would be out of shape, but I still think the difference is too great. (The difference in size of the 2 seals on top of each other in the photos is *not* due to the perspective of the photo).

Also, Ive tried some different grinding/tamping but it still leaks.

Anyway tomorrow Im hopefully visiting Chris at TalkCoffee where I bought it (upgraditius :-/) and maybe he will take a peek..

I still think its a great entry machine and the coffee is still tasting good.

I just had a look at my machine. There is no visible gap between the groups lower lip and the inside of the seal, as is visible in your last pic (at around 1 or 2 oclock position), or is that a shadow?

Looks like you got a bit of a wonky seal.

Cheers

If that was a gasket on my pool filter water would be spewing everywhere. If it was the bearing seal on my boat trailer salt water would be getting in. I assume the same applies to espresso machines as there is a bit of a pressure build up during a shot, I have noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by 536C6D706169656A040 link=1338322913/13#13 date=1338791050
    If that was a gasket on my pool filter water would be spewing everywhere. If it was the bearing seal on my boat trailer salt water would be getting in. I assume the same applies to espresso machines as there is a bit of a pressure build up during a shot, I have noticed.
    Yes Ive noticed :) However the shadows in the pics are misleading. Its not quite the gaping hole it looks. Seeing an expert tomorrow and maybe I can run it by him in between drooling over all the shiny things that he has 8-)

Make sure you leave your wallet at home! [smiley=cheesy.gif] (due to the bling, take enough for only a seal.

Cheers

Too late* :-?

Came home with a Vibiemme Domobar Junior in the boot* ::)

Thanks Chris at TalkCoffee for taking a good hour to chat and sip some lovely brew! Now I just have to get some seals that fit and clean her up for sale!

Edit: I should add, I was already planning on upgrading! And was loving the shots from the Lelit till the very last. but upgraditis is.. a disease.

Good work!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Yes, the disease is always ticking in the background...

Cheers

I have my rubber gasket replaced last week. I thought some images on this thread wouldnt hurt.

Heres how dirty my grouphead looked like when I took it apart.

The gasket hasnt been changed for 5 yrs.

Just to show the difference between a well worn Quaha gasket and a brand new Lelit gasket. The new Lelit gasket is the one in black.

Snobb, did you properly inserted the gasket into area no. 1 like in the picture below?

Sorry, somehow I missed these last posts. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics gaggia_fanatic. I have to get the Lelit up to scratch for sale this week, but I admit Ive ignored this issue since getting my new machine ::) Ill investigate ASAP and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by 797F7979777F41787F707F6A777D1E0 link=1338322913/18#18 date=1339570289
    Heres how dirty my grouphead looked like when I took it apart.
    Finally getting around to this. What tool did you use to get off that brass nut/flange thingy? Its got a slot that might fit a screwdriver but it looked a bit delicate, being brass. Didnt want to damage it.

Edit: I probably dont have to but thought I would give everything a clean.

Edit: Never mind, decided not to.