Thread: Silvia group handle question (Brand new owner)

Silvia group handle question (Brand new owner)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Im very excited just received my Silva V3 from Coffee-a-roma toaday.

However, just a quick question to all you Silvia owners: Is the spout on your group handle 90 degrees (that is perpendicular) to the handle? Cause mine seems to be on an angle, so when I lock it in, one cup I have to put more forward, and the other slightly back.

Just wondering if this is normal or not?

Many thanks

Re: Silvia group handle question (Brand new owner)

That is normal. You will find that when you lock it in you can go past 6 oclock a bit so that it almost square. Try it with out the basket in and you will see what mean. When your machine and the seal is new it is seals pretty well at 6 oclock but you might find you will have to lock it in further once the machine has had some use.
    Anyway its normal. Enjoy.

As Ryjodal said - yep should be completely normal

If you really dont like it like that (and its more aesthetics than anything IMHO) you can try to remove the spouts and screw them back on with a bit of thread tape or the like so that they line up parallel to where your group handle currently locks in

Removing the spouts sounds like a bit of a pain - thread searches on here will show you some ideas...

As the previous posts have said, all normal for a new machine. Not sure Id do anything to change the spout alignment just yet. As the group seal wears the portafilter will lock naturally lock in a different position/s so youll need to re-align them in time anyway if you do it now. Different story with an older machine or non-sivia pf I suppose.

A bigger issue might be the different flow rates from each side of the spout that some silvias have, presumably due to imperfect machining. Dont worry if you think thats hapening to you as there are threads here that give solutions. But it is an issue if pouring 2 x single as you are.

I wouldnt worry about that or spout orientation until youre happy with dosing. Overdosing in particular affects just where the pf can lock in, and many of us have overdosed trying to get acceptable pour times.

Yes I wouldnt realign anything, please consider that Rancilio know perfectly well what they are doing and it will be extremely unlikely (except if someone in their employ has an axe to grind and is out to purposely sabotage their product), that the spout was aligned in any other position than the standard posi that it is supposed to be fitted at on their production line.

"Imperfect machining".....honestly, the trouble with that is...how do you know? ;) Yes, it seems to be relatvely common that Silvia will deliver unevenly out of its double spout.

And if you place the same type of domestic end double spout on a commercial use machine, it will very often pour just as unevenly.

Replace the spout with a commercial type and whalla, problem solved OR, if not solved, atleast on the commercial spout you *usually* have a directional adjuster to play with.....

If there is any imperfect machining then, it is not really a rancilio manufacturing problem but a problem with the domestic end double spout which is a generic spout purchased elsewhere and not machined by Rancilio, except that commercial spouts will often do the same thing until you adjust the directional vane.....?????!!!!!!!!

And all of that said.......when the answer may be that Rancilio should therefore specifiy a different / better" double spout.......you would have to ask, in a market where the price of silvia is being pushed backwards at a great rate of knots by several "box pushers", why would rancilio specify a much more expensive spout where the object is, to try and keep the price down as much as possible?

Overdosing a Silvia immediately leads to the group handle not sealing against the group seal properly with resultant coffee and dregs leak over the top. In my experience then, overdosing leads immediately to the operator pulling back to the correct dose for the machine.

This is very beneficial, in that it very quickly eliminates one other variable (overdosing) when trying to diagose a client problem with their new silvia. There is not much margin for error with use of the Silvia and it is a great educational tool for espresso understanding and technique. That is a great positive because once an operator has mastered it (not that hard), they find the next step up to a good HX machine very simple indeed and will get great results virtually straight up.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for all your feedback.
    Very helpful.

And yes, over dosing was an issue when I tried my first shot, but worked that out pretty quickly ;-)

Looking forward to many more great espressos.

No, thank you!

On behalf of everyone that gives advice here, its lovely and also very refreshing to get an occasional "thankyou" notice afterwards.

Good luck with your machine.

Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor

Guess what... another question ;-)

Just wondering if Im over dosing or not? After I pull my shot, the puck looks great, no channeling, nice and firm, comes out easily into my knock box. I dont have any leakage from the group head.

But the puck does have the indent of the group head screw. Is it meant to be like that?

Many thanks in advance,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 0F3B2C3A21160A262F2F2C2C490 link=1338551769/6#6 date=1338684606
    No, thank you!

No prob at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C6D7167060 link=1338551769/7#7 date=1338693972
    But the puck does have the indent of the group head screw. Is it meant to be like that?
    Pretty normal for a standard Silvia, for ease of removal I replaced the original shower screen screw on mine with a stainless socket head cap screw, it made a small round depression in the centre of the puck, never caused me any problems.
    Others have chosen to replace the original screw with a counter sunk screw. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 58646D7560010 link=1338551769/9#9 date=1338698994
    Quote Originally Posted by 6C6D7167060 link=1338551769/7#7 date=1338693972
    Pretty normal for a standard Silvia, for ease of removal I replaced the original shower screen screw ...
    +1 - if you unlock the PF without brewing there should be just a small disturbance of the puck by the screw.* When you brew, the puck swells and there will be a bigger impression of the screw head.* Same as Jon, I replaced the screw with a SS mushroom head hex socket screw - on the theory that it causes less damage to the puck than the original Franken-screw, hence less likely to cause channeling - but its worth it just for the aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F6F6D7E69750C0 link=1338551769/10#10 date=1338707747
    but its worth it just for the aesthetics.
    And ease of removal, the screw on the early Silvias (dont know about later models) was a bear to remove, the cap screw (Allen key) made it a piece of cake. :)

Thanks Jon and Scarey. Glad to hear its normal.

Its only 3 days old, so if it starts to bother me, Ill probably change it. But at the moment, happy so far.

Cheers,
    Jon