Thread: Insulating an internal PID? help

Insulating an internal PID? help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im installing an internal pid in my silvia and want to insulating it. I was going to some how use the aluminium mounting box that the Auber pid came with but not sure how to secure it to the internal surface without drilling. I then thought about making a little sleeping bag out of some sort of heat resistant material that could firmly slide over the body of the pid. I think this would be the easiest but all the heat resistant insulation ive seen on the net seems expensive. ideas?

Re: Insulating an internal PID? help

Have you considered double sided tape to secure it?

Not sure if stubby holder type material is rated to the temps inside a coffee machine, but could work for what you want to do?

Cheers

The aluminium case it came with wont help you with heat, aluminium is a really good conductor of heat.

You could try Insul-Brite, its available at Spotlight and such, used for lining in oven mitts, there are several people about who have used it for boiler insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by 535B4B5C4E4A4D5C4B390 link=1341564265/2#2 date=1341617738
    The aluminium case it came with wont help you with heat, aluminium is a really good conductor of heat.

You could try Insul-Brite, its available at Spotlight and such, used for lining in oven mitts, there are several people about who have used it for boiler insulation.
    Thanks , i think Insulbrite will be the way to go. Ill make a tube out of it and slip it over it. Do you think glueing a layer of aluminium foil over it would help insulate more?

The aluminium foil on the outside of the insulation wont insulate whats inside, it will more reflect the heat coming from the outside

Cheers

I used closed cell silicone foam to insulated my Silvia. Have been running it with an internal PID for about a year now with no issues.
    It is the orange stuff that a lot of people use, bought it as a kit online precut. Not a sponsor so I can not post the link but if you want PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDerrickC View Post
    I used closed cell silicone foam to insulated my Silvia. Have been running it with an internal PID for about a year now with no issues.
    It is the orange stuff that a lot of people use, bought it as a kit online precut. Not a sponsor so I can not post the link but if you want PM me.
    I have isulated my boiler etc with the same stuff purchased from PS in the states. Good to know you have had no issues with your pid. Ive been waiting to install my pid until i can get to spotlight to purchase some insulbrite to cover my pid. Im going to simply wrap the pid with insulbrite in a few layers and the cable tie it to the pid and around the wires. I think this would be a cheap and simple way to reflect the heat away from the pid.