Thread: Features of the BES900 in a European brand?

Features of the BES900 in a European brand?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I'm brand new here so I hope this is the right forums for this question.

I'm an Australian living in Germany and I am currently looking for a new machine. The feature set of the BES900 seems to fit exactly what I am looking for, but they are not for sale locally.

Can anyone recommend another machine with a similar feature set (PID, Dual Boiler, Pre-Infusion) to the BES900 that is manufactured or a least available in Europe?

I realise that any European option is likely to be more expensive and that's okay. However, I don't want to spend more than I need to to get the features I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at the La San Marco Flexa 85... it has everything you're looking for... and more. Here in Oz the asking price is another grand on top of what the BES900 costs but in my opinion it is well worth every extra penny. Perhaps the cost differential in Europe would be even smaller.

Not sure what the Gastroback sells for, but as you are in Europe, you have all the manufacturers, virtually on your doorstep. Depending on your budget, you have an enormous range of machines to choose from.
    Set a budget, then compare the offerings from manufacturers that also offer the same features. As Vinitasse stated, for a few dollars more, you will get a machine that you may have thought out of your reach.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

I wasn't aware that the Breville was sold under another brand, so that that is a good thing to know. I will try and find one in a store where I can see it in the flesh. One thing that concerns me is the number of product returns I am reading about in various forums. For this reason I would like to also explore other options .

Cost is not my primary deciding factor. Basically, I want a dual boiler machine that does pre-infusion and is PID controlled; I will pay as much as required to get a worthwhile machine with these features, but I don't wish to pay more than required for a machine that is more than I need.

So I will try and get an 'in-the-flesh' look as the Breville/Gastroback but in the meantime further suggestions are very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytheboot View Post
    Gastroback has rebadged the BES900
    What an unfortunate choice of name Help stop gastro outbreak spreading - Health & Wellbeing

You may want to take a look at the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi S1 II.
    Its a comparable spec machine ..dual boiler, pid temp, etc etc, European made, and with a good reputation.

Amazon Germany, have the "Gastroback" for 1100 Euro

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    In the UK 'GastroPubs' are quite popular. Maybe there is something in the name; I did occasionally feel a little ill when leaving at closing time.

I need some help to break my 'analysis paralysis' here...

I am now seriously looking at three contenders:

- La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi S1 II
    - Izzo Alex Duetto II
    - Breville Dual Boiler (gastroback)

And of the 3 I am still leaning towards the Breville. It doesn't even seem like it should even belong in the list but it ticks almost every box.
    I would be happy to pay the extra for the others (an extra 600-800€) but they just don't seem to offer anything more that improves the coffee over the Breville. They are undoubtably better constructed and they both look infinitely better than the Breville (especially the Alex) but they don't seem to offer anything more 'in the cup' over the Breville.

Am i missing something here? Would I be crazy to buy the Breville over the others?

Okay, so I ended up going with an Expobar Office Leva IV (Minore in Aus).

I've had it for about 5 days and so far I am very happy with my decision.

Thanks to those who helped with my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeebohne View Post
    Okay, so I ended up going with an Expobar Office Leva IV (Minore in Aus).

I've had it for about 5 days and so far I am very happy with my decision.

Thanks to those who helped with my decision.
    Ahh, that would be the dual boiler Minore IV as we know it ( The Office Leva here is single boiler).
    good choice, sound machine...
    ..what were the deciding factors for going with the Expobar,.... features, appearance, price, warranty service, ..????

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    Ahh, that would be the dual boiler Minore IV as we know it ( The Office Leva here is single boiler).
    good choice, sound machine...
    ..what were the deciding factors for going with the Expobar,.... features, appearance, price, warranty service, ..????
    Yes, the dual boiler.

I ruled the Breville out after reading way too many problem reports about it. Plus it looks a bit too much like a clock radio. Funny thing is - if it was rock solid reliable and did everything it claims to well, I would have been happy to pay double for it (I could have forgiven the looks).

I briefly flirted with the idea of many machines (mini Vivaldi being one) but after reading a ridiculous amount of material online I decided I wanted something with an E61 group but still with 2 boilers and PID. I will admit that the looks played a small part in the E61 appeal as well.

I ruled out the rocket R58, even though it is a nicer looking machine, because I didn't like the removable PID controller and the method they use for connection.

So it was then down to the Alex Duetto IV and the Expobar (Office Leva Dual Boiler / Minore IV)

The Alex Duetto has a better fit and finish on the case, but the cup clearance under the group-head is tight. It also costs about 500 or so more here (Germany). I didn't think the slight advantage in fit and finish was worth it considering the cup clearance annoyance. If ECM made a dual boiler with similar features however, I may have paid the extra.

So I chose the Expobar for the following reasons:
    - E61
    - Dual Boilers (and a larger than normal brew boiler)
    - PID on the brew boiler
    - Direct plumbable and tank
    - Parts are readily available and I'm confident I can change out most parts myself.
    - Very solid chassis and very thick aluminium case (you can pull it around on the bench by the portafilter handle and the front will not flex at all (unlike some machines where you will see flexing as you lock the portafilter in)
    - Very user serviceable (at least for me)
    - Looks - although the final finish is perhaps not as perfect as some others (ECM especially) it does look really nice on the bench and has a very 'industial' appeal.
    - Price - considering the quality and the features it is very good value (especially in Europe - In Australia, everyone gets ripped-off) I paid $1750 AUD for it and that is with 20% VAT!