Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta

Thread: Watlow SD3C /w Steam settings/restore default

Watlow SD3C /w Steam settings/restore default

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Stupidly my friend started pushing several buttons on my PID this morning and it's definitely not working the way it once did. Does anyone know if there's a simple way to restore it to the factory settings MLG would have put in?

My PID is now is Fahrenheit and not Celcius, the instructions for the PID kit are so confusing I have no idea where to begin.

If anyone could send through some basic step by step instructions to get it back to working order that would be great.

Cheers
    Dan

even if someone can explain to me how to use the auto settings? please, desperate!

guys any calibrating tips would be so helpful. the boiler light doesn't even switch on when i power it up.

sorry for multiple posts, i've managed to get it up working again. its currently doing an autotune. if anyone has some tips calibrating the steam part that would be great. Understand the time of the year means there's probably not a lot of people around to comment on this thread.

Once again guys, any helps on programing the steam would be great. I'm at a loss in terms of making the alarm trigger the second setpoint for the steam. I know it's early in the year so maybe a few people are away. But any tips/settings would be great. I've emailed Jim at Pidkits too.

Did you ever track down the default settings?

I’m in a similar situation. Someone messed with the buttons, and despite doing an autotune I swear it’s not as good as it used to be?

I going to try reading the manual again. I’m sure there’s a way to save/load settings. Hopefully Jim saves the original settings to memory when setting up the device SD3C so many years ago.

Watlow SD3C /w Steam settings/restore default

Hi mate,

Iíve since sold the Silvia - probably 2 years ago or so. But I did manage to do a factory reset and restore it to the original settings. To be honest I canít remember whether I got them from the CD-rom or an email that Jim sent. Iíll go digging through my emails and see what I can find. But it was a long time ago.

Cheers
    Dan

Thanks. I think I’ve still got my CD somewhere. I don’t recall any mention of settings in the installation manual, but I did set it up about 10 years ago, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by LastMile View Post
    I’m in a similar situation. Someone messed with the buttons, and despite doing an autotune I swear it’s not as good as it used to be?

I going to try reading the manual again. I’m sure there’s a way to save/load settings. Hopefully Jim saves the original settings to memory when setting up the device SD3C so many years ago.
    Not sure if this is what you're after but may be worth a look - page 7 bottom right (factory restore). Maybe try "Default Parameters" first (See page 3 table)?

You'll have to download the PDF.
    https://www.watlow.com/-/media/docum.../sdcale-a.ashx

Thought I'd throw in the link for the full Watlow catalogue in case anyone's interested -
    https://www.swhc.com/pdf/Catalogs%20...ls_Catalog.pdf

Also Watlow SD retrofit guide -
    https://www.watlow.com/-/media/docum...-03042015.ashx

and Watlow SD user manual -
    https://www.watlow.com/-/media/docum...vember-04.ashx

Watlow local contact details -

Asia/Pacific:
    Watlow Australia Pty., Ltd.
    23 Gladstone Park Drive,
    Tullamarine, Victoria 3043 Australia
    Telephone: +61 (39) 335-6449
    Fax: +61 (39) 330-3566
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 5th October 2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Links added
    Dimal likes this.

Sorry for the late follow up. I found the PDF Jim sent me to reset the pidkit to his recommended settings. PM me your email and Iíll send it across.

Absolute legend! PM sent.

Following Jim's programming instructions I was able to confirm that my setup was okay, but my operational parameters from the autotune didn't match his preset values for Pb.ht (P), rE.ht (I) or rA.ht (D). Operational parameters are easily adjustable with a few presses from the home screen, so I can see how someone curiously pressing buttons messed it up.

Entering his recommended settings sees my Silvia deviate less from the setpoint than the autotune.

Interestingly, Jim's programming guide suggests a default setpoint of 106* degrees, while my unit and installation manual came with a default setpoint of 109* degrees. I'd previously dropped my setpoint to 106.5 degrees, to take into account that water boils in Canberra at around 98 degrees. I might drop it another degree or two to see if shots improve.

*higher offset is to account for the fact that the thermocouple is measuring from the top of the boiler, not the actual water temp.
    Last edited by LastMile; 9th October 2018 at 10:34 AM.