Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 First Impressions

Sunbeam EM7000 First Impressions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After two days with my new toy - Sunbeam EM7000 - I must say that I am impressed with its performance and quality of build.

I am still getting acquainted with it of course, but so far so good. I think once I zero in on the right grind and dose it will produce better coffee than the EM6910, but how much better remains to be seen.

The new steaming wand takes a bit of getting use to and I need to refine my approach to match or better what the EM6910 produced. I'm not sure that the integrated sensing device for milk temperature is a help or a gimmick - time will tell.

The only issue I have is that the drip tray does not extend far enough in relation to the portafilter spouts. There are times when the water from the spouts misses the grill holes and splashes resulting in a wet bench-top.

It heats up in one and a half minutes and is so quiet that it is almost a whisper.

I believe it may very well emerge as a worthy successor to the Breville Dual Boiler.

Here is a review if the mods allow:
    Crema Magazine: Australian Cafes, coffee, lifestyle and more | Sunbeam’s new EM7000

Well we have had our EM7000 for going on 4 days now & I am getting better with the brew by the day. Picking up some fresh beans on Thursday so excited to see the improvement there. Very happy with our purchase so far!

Have also noticed a massive price drop in recent days, a good time to upgrade...

DJs had it on special at $719. I got Bing Lee to match it reluctantly and then I added the extended warranty to a total of five years. Total cost $838!

I think the DJs price is part of their after Christmas sale and will probably end soon if it hasn't already. Their website says it is not in stock.

I picked one of these up at the weekend - I have just parted with my Giotto Premium Plus and was planning to suffer Nespresso for a while whist I made my mind up about the next coffee adventure. I couldn't do it! I had a 6910 in the past which was a thoroughly good machine and given the cheapness of these machines in the sales I indulged myself.

It is of course a solid and very capable machine (solid in the consumer electronics way, not the Italian stainless way!). I am most impressed by the steaming which has been improved in terms of speed, which is now less than 90 seconds to reach temp, and in texture. Actually, the texture of the milk that it produces is right up there with the best I have ever used, better than the Giotto - even though it takes twice as long as that steam monster!

The grind settings are almost identical to the Giotto, which is a departure from the EM6910 which required a finer grind. Slightly less coffee is required in the basket - around 18g. Sunbeam seem to be determined to make this perform to the textbook. And the coffee it produces? Very good. Smooth texture and a deep crema. Not as special as the Giotto, but given my limited experience with the machine (Not realising I was going to get the machine, I only had a couple of hundred g of beans to play with) I think it will do the job most admirably.

Most noticeably, its quiet. The pump sounds the same, but with ear plugs in! It vibrates much less to so those cups stay in place.

Well done to Sunbeam. A very worthy successor to the legendary EM6910. Durability? Who cares, I added a 5 year full replacement warranty
    Last edited by jaybee; 13th January 2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Being stoopid

80g? I remember that the 6910 was notorious for uprising but that's insane

I had a laugh - It's the Heat, don't ya know!

Lets try 18g instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Bames View Post
    80g? I remember that the 6910 was notorious for uprising but that's insane

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Well done to Sunbeam. A very worthy successor to the legendary EM6910. Durability? Who cares, I added a 5 year full replacement warranty
    Good to read some feedback jaybee. I picked up one a few weeks ago - my first "serious" machine, so I've not a lot to compare it to, but thus far I'm very happy. The steam is fantastic - it hasn't taken long at all to get a great result which is night and day compared to the cheap machines I've used in the past.

I found the same re the grind - I bought a BSG to go with it and was expecting to have it right on the finest setting, but at the moment I've still got a few notches left and getting a great result.

I was a little surprised by the small difference between the dose in the single vs dual basket - like you I've found the single to be 17-18g, and the double only about 21-22(max). Have you had this experience with the double basket?

I'm really happy with the coffee i'm getting out of my EM7000 but not so happy with the noise it's making.

The actually pump during most of the extraction is as quiet as advertised but there is quite a loud almost shudder at the beginning of the extraction. It lasts for about 2-3 seconds at the start of the extraction proper, i.e. after the pre-infusion.

Has anyone else experienced this? It makes no such noise with no filter basket in place and my extraction times are spot on so I know it's not a result of choking the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by raybau View Post
    I was a little surprised by the small difference between the dose in the single vs dual basket - like you I've found the single to be 17-18g, and the double only about 21-22(max). Have you had this experience with the double basket?
    I only use the double, with a lot less coffee. I had a long play tonight and have yet to find the sweet spot for my technique - It will be there somewhere! it took me long enough to find it for the Giotto and the 6910 so I'm not worried yet!

Quote Originally Posted by ashep View Post
    I'm really happy with the coffee i'm getting out of my EM7000 but not so happy with the noise it's making.

The actually pump during most of the extraction is as quiet as advertised but there is quite a loud almost shudder at the beginning of the extraction. It lasts for about 2-3 seconds at the start of the extraction proper, i.e. after the pre-infusion.

Has anyone else experienced this? It makes no such noise with no filter basket in place and my extraction times are spot on so I know it's not a result of choking the machine.
    I have had occasion where I get the noise you describe, its almost like it needs to prime itself before it quietens down. Given that most machines are louder than that all the time, I haven't been overly worried!

And for no particular reason, here is a gratuitous bench shot!

The styling is a bit Breville for me, but many seem to go for the softer look. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I actually don't mind the styling of some of the Breville's....

Some of the newer model low end Sunbeams look rubbish.

re I get the noise you describe, its almost like it needs to prime itself before it quietens down. Given that most machines are louder than that all the time, I haven't been overly worried!
    Mine does the same - it seems to only be the first shot after turning it on, and not necessarily all the time.

And for no particular reason, here is a gratuitous bench shot!

The styling is a bit Breville for me, but many seem to go for the softer look. What do you think?
    Ahhhh, to have that much bench space! Very neat.

What brand is the knock box you've got there? It's nice and compact compared with some I've seen.

Update

Well two weeks down the track and it is better than I expected

The brew is consistent with great crema and taste. It didn't take long to adjust my steaming technique - I am now getting super smooth micro foam every time, and being able to retire my thermometer was a plus.

The EM6910 was good - the EM7000 is great

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by raybau View Post
    What brand is the knock box you've got there? It's nice and compact compared with some I've seen.
    Compact Designs. Fab sponsor Coffee Parts have an enormous selection: Barista Accessories Grindenstein, Compact Designs, Espresso Gear, Cafelat and Motta Knocking Grounds Tubes | Coffee Parts

Had this machine since mid November. Loving it, finding the dual boiler very handy and the quality of my coffee has taken a big step up.

I have had to have the Steam Wand dial repaired under warranty. Without any excessive force, when turning the steam wand off one day it seemed to allow the dial to turn clockwise (off) furher than previously. This caused the steam to slowly stop rather than instantly. To quote the repair guys comments on what they did to repair as no parts where available "glued steam wand plastic thing" works like new.

Repair guy couldn't sop raving about the machine, how well built and neat it was inside compared to the 6910.

The customer service from Sunbeam was mixed. On the positive front, It was handy having their number on the inside of the top fill lid. The first guy i spoke to was brilliant and very helpful. When i followed up the next guy tried to tell me the steam wand doesn't shut off instantly and when i forced him to escalate the call to someone else he came back and said his supervisor said to take it in to get checked out. I could tell by his voice that he didn't believe me.

Couple of quick questions

When on but not in use, every 30 sec or so, the machine seems to ping, like a coil in a mattress. I believe this could be the PID keeping the temperature constant. Does your machine do this?

Who uses the pre infusion and why and in what circumstances? I only have the Delonghi (Starbucks style) grinder, used on the finest setting, and are using 'quality' term used lightly store bought beans. Unless i completely fill the basket and tamp as hard as I can, the extracion pressure wont get any near ideal. Do you think Pre Infusion will help with this?

... Please save the comments about fresh beans and new grinder, plans are already in place to do this.

Hi Selthy! Yes indeed. it clicks away quite happliy to itself as it maintains its temperature. I should set it next to my Sunbeam iron that make a similar noise and they can chat away...

Pre-infusion soaks and expands the coffee which helps the extraction. It may help slightly with your course settings to give a little more resistance and slow the flow, so have a play. I'm using the factory setting infusion which seems to give the puck a high pressure belt of water of a short while before settling back to 9 bar. I have a theory that they designed the machine for that method of infusion so i should give it a whirl! I may eventually go to the progressive infusion which is more typical of espresso machines.
    Last edited by jaybee; 20th January 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks for the replies about the noise guys, glad to know it's normal.

One other thing that annoys me about the machine is that the steam wand is always in the way when inserting and removing the group handle. I'm sure this problem is common to machines with their wand on the left but it's a little annoying to have to deliberately angle the wand away lest I be knocking my knuckles up against it.

Does anyone else find this to be an issue? If so, why do companies do this?

Most machines are like this otherwise they would have to be significantly wider. All about bench space really, you will find it exactly the same on a $3000 machine!

So why not simply swap the steam wand and hot water spout? Reflecting my movements on the right side, it seems as though the size of the hot water spout would keep it out of the way.

Ahh well, a minor annoyance

Or even have the group handle lock from right to left. Like so many designs, someone famous probably did it that way decades ago and every one has copied it slavishly ever since...

Or even have the group handle lock from right to left. Like so many designs, someone famous probably did it that way decades ago and every one has copied it slavishly ever since...
    There's a very good reason, actually - most people are right-handed, and unfortunately, also ham-fisted. Holding the handle with your right hand, and pressing against the machine with your left, you can put a lot more pressure pushing on it than if you are pulling on it in the other direction. Most people will also tighten the handle till it "feel right", and what feels right in one direction will be different from what feels right in the other if using the same hand.

Interesting thesis Richard. I could buy into that. In a similar vein, it certainly feels more controlled and natural to pull a wrench than to push it...

One of the problems with the 6910 was the low water temperature at the head. This was also confirmed by the tech guys at Sunbeam.

Has anyone checked the water temp at the head with new em7000?

I Purchased the EM7000 1 month ago, I also got the em0480 grinder. I have been purchasing beans roasted 8 to 10 days ago and have played with grind, dose, tamp, temperature and i am yet to pull a good shot. i'm thinking maybe the grinder is not good enough. But it will go fine enough to choke the machine so im not sure what else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by SR2409 View Post
    I Purchased the EM7000 1 month ago, I also got the em0480 grinder. I have been purchasing beans roasted 8 to 10 days ago and have played with grind, dose, tamp, temperature and i am yet to pull a good shot. i'm thinking maybe the grinder is not good enough. But it will go fine enough to choke the machine so im not sure what else to do.
    The way to find the sweet spot is to have as few variables as possible, so set all the settings back to their factory originals and only play with them again when you can get a consistently good pull.

A dose of 18g of grinds or just a little less seems to be just right, so find a method of accurately weighing that amount every time. remember that using your grinder, there is often a few grams of coffee trapped inside the machines so 18g in does not necessarily mean 18g out, and more annoyingly, that some coarser/finer grind may contaminate your batch. So as you try different settings you will have to waste the first 5 or so grams of each setting just to be properly consistent.

Tamp firmly but not too. Be natural as it has to be the same every time.

Now go grind and extract trying different coarseness's until you get a double shot in 20-30 seconds (after the infusion). I find that the needle is just in the orange for me, but that may well differ for each machine.

I started this thread a while back: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post441138 Read it all the way through - the journey took be to a whole new level of coffee

Thanks for your advice I will buy kitchen scales tomorrow and go back to factory settings, your right I need to narrow down the variables.

You can get a consistent dose with settling and sweeping. Measuring is still useful but you always want to be a few g in excess.

After some more trial and error the single is really a double and the double is really a triple... Can anyone recommend a set of "regulation" 7g and 14g baskets that work with the PF? Synesso?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfalz View Post
    After some more trial and error the single is really a double and the double is really a triple... Can anyone recommend a set of "regulation" 7g and 14g baskets that work with the PF? Synesso?
    Hi everyone

Can anyone confirm if the Synesso 14g basket will fit into the EM7000 Portafiller?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry123 View Post
    Hi everyone

Can anyone confirm if the Synesso 14g basket will fit into the EM7000 Portafiller?

Thanks
    It does, as does ANY 58mm basket (i.e. my VST's).

TampIt

wid
    I was hoping to find one of these on an EOFY sale this year... but alas.. out of luck.

Last year it was on sale for $399.

Yeah same. Still annoyed I missed last years sale. My EM6910 is still hanging in there for now though!
    Unfortunately though, my father in law bought one a year ago and his steam pump has just died

Hey all,

We've had one of these for a week now. At first it was a little difficult to get right, coming from a Nespresso machine. (Dirty word around here).
    We have now worked out how to produce a good coffee, far better than Nespresso, but I'm not sure if the following is normal, so rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here.

My wife only has Latte's, so she doesn't notice it as the milk is fairly warm. When I make my short blacks, the coffee is never warm enough. It's not even hot enough to dissolve the brown sugar.
    Is this normal or should I be taking the machine back?

Grab a thermometer for your jug. Make sure you heat the milk to around 65 degrees. You can change the brew head temp as well. Try 94 maybe. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Owlee View Post
    Grab a thermometer for your jug. Make sure you heat the milk to around 65 degrees. You can change the brew head temp as well. Try 94 maybe. Hope this helps
    Milk temp is always hot enough. It's the coffee I'm not happy with. Brew temp has been pumped up to 96. Whilst it is a tiny bit hotter, it still isn't hot enough to dissolve sugar. Is this normal though?