Thread: Silvia and Auber PID pre-infusion option

Silvia and Auber PID pre-infusion option

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am considering a purchase of one of the various versions of the Auber PID with the
    pre-infusion option. I have read 1+ years of posts on the PID and can't find any mention of the
    importance of automatically timing the pull. I have been using Silvia for 2 years without
    a PID (I temp surf). I start a timer when I hit the brew button and time the pull based
    on the appearance of the shot. It usually lasts between 21 and 26 seconds.

I like the idea of using the pre-infusion option to time the duration of the pull.
    Will I be happy with a more consistent duration? Or do most of you still stop the pull
    when it "looks right"?

Also, I am not excited about preinfusing my puck (I would set that time delay to 0). Should I be?

Thanks
    captainkirk
    Pittsburgh, PA

With that PID, you still have the option of manually pulling a shot using the hot water switch on the Silvia - so you can continue to pull it how you do now. I still do this depending on the beans I use.

If you don't want the preinfusion option, you can opt for one of the PIDs without it and save a bit of money. The preinfusion function and the shot timer are independent variables. You can just use the PID to keep temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by captainkirk View Post
    can't find any mention of the
    importance of automatically timing the pull. I have been using Silvia for 2 years without
    a PID (I temp surf). I start a timer when I hit the brew button and time the pull based
    on the appearance of the shot. It usually lasts between 21 and 26 seconds.
    When you're making coffee now are there times when you realised you've forgotten to do something and want to move away from the machine whilst it is pouring?
    If so you might find the timer handy? If you're happy to stay and watch then you might be stopping it manually more often than not anyway based on appearance.

You're 2 years in with the Silvia so you're not new to making coffee and would have a decent eye on when it's time to stop the shot.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have the feature at any rate. Like kensanta said you don't *have* to use the timer. Would just save you a few $$$ on the PID that's all...

For what its worth, I bought the PID w/ steam control for myself, but I never noticed a need to have the shot stopped for me as I was always there looking at it.

Thanks to both of you. I would love to walk away from Silvia and let it take care of the shot
    all by itself. Maybe I'll get the timer and experiment with timed vs watched shots. To be
    honest, it's sort of meditative watching it flow. Am I the only one who thinks this?

kensanta, I thought the only way to get the shot timer was to buy the preinfusion
    function. Am I wrong? Does the PID with steam control include a shot timer?

The pre infusion version of the Auber has an extraction timer, unfortunately not the steam control version, though it would be cool if Auberim can make something that incorporated everything in one box, steam control, pre-infusion, timer, teleporting etc.

Don't know about you captain kirk, i think on those long journeys on the enterprise, it would be therapeutic to watch the flow into the cup. It's part of the enjoyment of making coffee.
    Apart from that, sometimes you need visual clues to stop the shot or lengthen the shot as variables like different kinds of beans as well as different roast levels, not to mention grind and dosage can play on the final taste.
    Cutting the shot off when it starts to blond is usually advised.

Having said that, there are some who would prefer to run a timed shot and then go to prepare the milk for steaming for example, they're not that fussed on final quality and happy to compromise.

thanks, sidewayss. (PID teleporter haha!)