Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sunbeam em8910i

sunbeam em8910i

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi all.... came upon your very enjoyable website whilst doing the rounds looking for a replacement for my trusty Gran Gaggia...thinking of getting a sunbeam 6910, but the 8910i keeps popping into my field of vision.
    anyone had experience with it?
    i realise the beans next to the TB can be a problem, but that should be easy to overcome by not emptying the whole pack of beans into the hopper, keep some in the freezer....
    has sunbeam transferrred all their "upgraded features" into the 8910i? from what i can see it has only 1 TB, not 2 like the 6910.
    i use my machine about 4 times per day, so am not a heavy user, and, horrors of horrors, i sometimes use carnation milk in my coffee... truly Northern European, that is!
    bottomline, i am looking for a machine that produces as good a coffee as the 6910, but that my husband ( a complete non user of espresso machines...) ccould be persuaded to use too...
    appreicate your support and opinions!
    ooroo.
    lis

Re: sunbeam em8910i

Lizzie,

Hi and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

The 8910 is a super automatic - extremely easy to use - but like all superautomatics (except Jura) will produce mediocre coffee - at best! Have a look at how many "domestic grade" second hand superautomatics you see listed on that auction website - people who have been disappointed with the results.

The coffee from a 6910 would be far superior.

Superautomatics are also chock full of electronics and mechanical devices - all subject to failure. They are certainly not the most reliable of coffee machines.

And I wouldnt be too concerned by heating the beans whilst waiting to be used.... it wont make much difference to these machines. However, yes heating beans is bad - but beans should never be stored in a freezer. When you remove the beans, moisture will condense on the surface and this degrades the flavour.

In a one way valved bag in a cool, dry, dark place is the best - squeeze out as much air as you can before resealing and you will maximise flavour and bean life.

Enjoy your journey - but stay away from superautomatics - unless you want to spend a couple of thousand on a Jura (or you are happy with just OK coffee).......

thanks for that.... i normally use the availability of 2nd hand stuff as a guideline for purchase too but that is just the point: the only reasonably new/new machines i have seen for sale on that auction site (apart form the auction-store-sold gaggia/francisfrancis! and rancilio) are brevilles 800 series and the promotional-give-away 6910s... i cannot find many SA machines for sale anywhere.
    but the electronics part of yur reply is something i can take to heart very well, actually i should have thought of that myself (doh!!)... we travel in a 40 foot bus, and the more oldfashioned switched gear i can get the better... varying power supplies at various caravanparks make the lifespan of electronics a bit doubtful...
    cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie link=1172461095/0#2 date=1172464010
    we travel in a 40 foot bus, and the more oldfashioned switched gear i can get the better... varying power supplies at various caravanparks make the lifespan of electronics a bit doubtful...
    cheers...
    Yep, less electronics is better... especially when you are talking about a closed box (coffee machine) with heat, water and steam - all the enemies of electronics - and all destined to shorten its life. The 6910 also has electronics - but far less.

The superautos seem to come and go on the auction site - a while back there were heaps. maybe people have stopped buying them - or are just throwing them to the back of a cupboard now..... (I dont think they were fetching very much)...

There is a reason why Jura are a couple of thousand dollars and these, and DeLonghi and Saeco are often sold for about $600..... and most of that is quality - the quality of manufacture and the quality of the resultant coffee....

Its a bit like comparing a $200 normal coffee machine and a 6910 - there is a world of difference for the three times more you pay! ;) :)

For pure simplicity and no power use at all have you considered a Presso? Handy if you are a espresso only drinker - but obviously if you want microfoam youll need another option.

Id second your own assessment that keeping it simple is better - I have an old Faema Family which is electrical, but no electronics and simple to repair and maintain. While this particular machine may be no longer available, other machines with similar features such as the Racilio Silvia might suit.

Some of the site sponsors may also have provided advice to people in your mobile situations and may have a much better knowledge of what is available that suits.

Good luck with the coffee journey!

hi guys... thanks for the feedback...
    as we are at the moment close to a shopping centre, i took the opportunity to have a look at the physical dimensions of the various machines available at the local Harvey Norman, something i hadnt yet done....oooaaahhh... i think the 6910 is going to be too big for the limited space we have on our sideboard... 40 footer or not, it is and remains a motorhome the space limitations .
    so, back to the drawingboard.... if i want to stick to a stainless steel lined TB, i would have to remain with the sunbeam, right? so, that would be a 5600 ???
    the gaggias have the aluminium in the top of the boiler, and that is not good for use with the very bad water here in WA...
    and, no, i havent considered a Presso... dont know the brand and have not come across any info about it...please enlighten me?

http://www.pressoaustralia.com/

yep, see it... hmm, have to think about that one....

Lizzie,

The 5600 has pressurised baskets - "crema enhancement" which is designed to make OK coffee from stale beans - but is much, much harder to make great coffee using these compared to the 6910.

Also I think (you had better check) that the stainless steel lined thermoblock was only released in the 6900 / 6910. As the 5600 is much cheaper (and the thermoblock technology would be more expensive) My guess is it is a normal aluminium thermoblock - like just about all the other small machines!

And yes water here is shocking (Im in WA as well) - it is bad enough in Perth but in some country areas it is >360 mg /L (VERY hard water is 120 mg/L....
    so you wouldnt want to use an aluminium thermoblock unless you used a brita filter - and that wont work for long either before it is saturated. :(

ssssshhhugar...
    looks like i am stuck then... either put up with the Gaggias alu top-hat, or go space-broke with the 6910, or, for that matter, a Sylvia...
    can anyone think of a SMALL footprint machine around the same price range (500-750) which i can look at?

Lizzie,

Have a look at this one.... boiler machine as well and very robust - on special:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1171939458/5#5

Send Chris a PM and hell send you size details - they are VERY well made!!!

anybody ay ideas about the francisfrancis!? considering i am mostly making espresso/short machs, and occasionally surprise the man of my dreams with a "real coffee"??
    i hav heard that they have a bit of an issue with the steam, but is that also a problem with the pressure in the group?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie link=1172461095/0#11 date=1172474325
    anybody ay ideas about the francisfrancis!? considering i am mostly making espresso/short machs, and occasionally surprise the man of my dreams with a "real coffee"??
    i hav heard that they have a bit of an issue with the steam, but is that also a problem with the pressure in the group?
    Unless Im mistaken, its a pod machine....Dont go there, Lizzie!

2mcm

yes, i realise that, but the adapter sets are readily available for about $39...
    and i heard somewhere they have a brass boiler, plus the footprint is quite small...

Lizzie,

The X1 wasnt thought highly of.... the X5 (not sure if it is in Aus) is apparently MUCH better....

Yes, they do have a brass boiler.....

But as Chris said.... they really are designed for pods..... and the adapters are just that - they adapt as best they can..... results wont be as good as a machine designed for normal baskets.

okaay then.... sigh....

MMmmm...

If you want small and reasonably cheap...

Have a look at a Saeco Via Venezia.... stainless steel boiler....

It has "crema enhancing" baskets - but you could check if you can get normal ones for it.....

Still wont be as good as Miss Silvia or the machine Chris is selling (even better than Miss Silvia)....

But at least it has a S/S boiler!! - and isnt an "adapted for grinds" machine.

ok, after looking at the Boticelli and comparing with the Rancilio...if i can expect good coffee out of both, (with he right peripherals and added experience!!)
    i would lean towards the narrower footprint of the Boticelli...
    the Boticelli has pressure filters. the Rancilio porta filter with 2 baskets?
    would i need to look at replacing the pressure filters with a pf with baskets?

yes, i did have a look at the SVV, but a friend of ours has one and i have not ever liked the coffee ... not the ones he made, not the ones i made.
    they always came out bitter, dry in flavour.
    using the same coffee, my little Gran Gaggia (without the crema enhancer) produced wonderfully smooth coffee...
    but, perhaps that was an older model, or they have omproved them? his would be about 5 years old now...

Lizzie,

You wont need to change anything..... they are fully set up (especially if you buy it from Chris - he even hand tweaks them for best results....)

And they are a GREAT machine - you wont be disappointed.

well, that was a journey... Rob and i have decided to buy the Botticelli... a worthy replacement for our trusted Gaggia!
    thanks for all the advice and support... just one last question...
    we have a 0.2 micron ZIP water filter under the sink in the bus...good for nasties etc, but we are not sure about salts or reducing hardness of water, particularly here in WA...
    anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie link=1172461095/15#20 date=1172480757
    well, that was a journey... Rob and i have decided to buy the Botticelli... a worthy replacement for our trusted Gaggia!
    we have a 0.2 micron ZIP water filter under the sink in the bus...good for nasties etc, but we are not sure about salts or reducing hardness of water, particularly here in WA...
    anyone?
    Lizzie,

Congratulations on your new machine.... you will be extremely pleased with it - I have no doubt at all.

The problem with Calcium salts (causing water hardness) is they are very soluble - until boiled!!!

I run a water softener on my machine- but that would be a bit big and clumsy for you...... and the filters like you have get rid of the nasties- but dont reduce the calcium significantly....

So Id use the output of your existing filter and then pass it through a brita jug.... they do reduce the calcium (not totally like a water softener- but they make a real difference). Just remember they wont last as long as they do over East - where hardness is about 60mg/L compared to out 140mg/L in Perth - and outside of Perth many places are >300mg/L .....

Well done!!! and enjoy your new coffee journey - Chris looks after his customers really well - so you are in good hands.

well, actually we have a double barrrel(carbon and "paper") 5 micron filter sitting under the bus, taking out most of the sediment, then an inline water softener,( a Carefree gismo), which runs the water past a copper coil to de-stabilise the mineral bonds and reduce scaling, then, for the potable water we use the ZIP....
    nevertheless, the CLR Clear gets used a lot here!!
    :P

Sounds like you are pretty well set up there Lizzie....

CLR is great stuff - just dont use it to descale your beautiful new machine... :P

Citric acid 10grams per litre is far more food safe / person friendly - about every 6 months....

Looks like you will get the backflushing kit as well (and a great tamper!!)

Excellent value for money on that purchase. :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie link=1172461095/15#20 date=1172480757
    we have a 0.2 micron ZIP water filter under the sink in the bus...good for nasties etc, but we are *not sure about salts or reducing hardness of water, particularly here in WA...
    anyone?

Hi Lizzie
    ive had a botticelli for a couple of years now and love what it can do, but Ive given up doing any plug for it with the silvia or sunbeam crowd around. its a lovely machine, but like the silvia benefits from ordinary 14g baskets and an 8 or 9g single.
    These are available from any coffee place but Id recommend www.coffeeparts.com
    You can use the ones it is shipped with but the coffee lacks body- they are more like 12g ones.
    The machine benefits from a good warm up ( at least half an hour) and then a quick flush after the heating light has gone out- just let water out without the pf in place- till the sizzling goes. It likes a fair bit of coffee- I use the fill, knock on bench, level, sit tamper lightly in, refill, level and tamp method. Also Greg pullmans tampers are wonderful.
    For really good microfoam the machine loves the coffeeparts conical 2 hole tip.
    Brett

COFFEECHASER

Quote Originally Posted by telemaster link=1172461095/15#24 date=1172520546
    ive had a botticelli for a couple of years now and love what it can do, but Ive given up doing any plug for it with the silvia or sunbeam crowd around.
    I wouldnt let that put you off I for one would like to hear more about this machine. Not because I am in the market for one but is always to hear more about a variety of machines to tell friends about when you convert them to fresh coffee at home. Is good for people to realise there are other single boiler options out there other than the Silvia and it is obviously some competition for the thermoblock Sunbeam as well as it is around the same price category.
    Lizzie congratulations on the new purchase I am sure you will be pleased having purchased from Chris and be pleased with the botticelli as well. Look forward to hearing about the results you get from it.

Brett

Hi Lizzie
    ive had a botticelli for a couple of years now and love what it can do, but Ive given up doing any plug for it with the silvia or sunbeam crowd around. its a lovely machine, but like the silvia benefits from ordinary 14g baskets and an 8 or 9g single.
    These are available from any coffee place but Id recommend www.coffeeparts.com
    You can use the ones it is shipped with but the coffee lacks body- they are more like 12g ones.
    The machine benefits from a good warm up ( at least half an hour) and then a quick flush after the heating light has gone out- just let water out without the pf in place- till the sizzling goes. It likes a fair bit of coffee- I use the fill, knock on bench, level, sit tamper lightly in, refill, level and tamp method. Also Greg pullmans tampers are wonderful.
    For really good microfoam the machine loves the coffeeparts conical 2 hole tip.
    Brett
    morning all!!
    i wasnt ignoring yall, just dealing with the time difference here in the Wild, Wild West... oh, ok, i ll admit i had a sleep-in!!
    got a mail form Chris today: our machine arrives hopefully next week wednedsay....8 whole days!!
    thanks for the lowdown on the use of the Botticelli... i will keep the 14g baskets in mind.
    i will be spending a few days in Perth/Fremantle in the next few weeks, and may have a stickybeak around some of the coffee-emporia there.
    i have decided ill shout myself some nice shot glasses...
    as far as the coffee itself is concerned, that is from time to time going to be a bit of a problem because of the travelling. and/or out of the way location.
    even getting realtively fresh Nescafe Green (which i will admit to using as a standby when nothing else is available) is a real problem on the road...
    even though i have a vacuum machine, we do not have the storage space to store lots-a-beans, and the temperature in the bus varies too wildly, depending on which side gets cooked by the sun.
    so, i will probably have to resort to buying bricks when travelling, and short order beans/ground coffee when on site for a while, providing there is a roaster around .
    so, any feedback on supermarket-readily available bricks?
    i have used Piazza dOro premio and Robert Timms Ultimate Espresso Nero in the Gaggia, with quite acceptable results; both are a not-so-fine grind... on occasion the Lavazzo has provided caffeine relief, although it is not my favourite... if there is such a thing in regards to bricks!
    counting down... 7 1/5 days....

Hi Lizzie...

Now just an additional thought (Im going to have to stop that it hurts!!)

Have you though of doing your own roasting whilst on the road.... You can get good results from a pop corn popper (lots of threads on here)..... so just carry a bag or two of green beans.... you can do about 100 grams in most poppers.... so you keep yourself in fresh coffee!!

Just a warning --- roasting is fun and can become VERY addictive!!

I second JavaBs post... very good idea!,.. and cheaper too

no, hadnt thought of that... but am now.... hang on, let me have a look at how much space i have in the sink cupboard....
    yes, i could do that, store some stuff under the bed, make space for the popper...
    save me looking up the threads (bit limited in my online time here, being mobile...): any popper stand out? and ... oh, jeez, the questions... how long is a piece of string? roasting time parameters? ill have to go and look at the threads once i find a library...

chris002200

Oh no... I think she is Lizzie is starting to get hooked on the home roasting, or in this case mobile roasting.

OK...

easy answer for you on poppers....

Get the Breville Crazy Popper..... everyone thinks they are the best.....

And when you have a chance, read this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1155644890/0

All about the Crazy Popper......

And you will have a lot of fun.... and your machine will have the coffee it deserves...

well, it fits with the home-drying, home distilling, home baking, home smoking... and as Rob would say, it (hopefully) keeps me out of mischief... :)
    but seriously, if i go that way, i am entering in a whole new, and very unfamiliar field....
    exited as i am (yay, yay!!) about the prospect of finding new levels of flavour and enjoyment, i would rather try someone elses proven receipe than experiment until the cows come home.... or in our case, rub themselves against the bullbar of the bus
    if i like a full bodied, almost chocolatey, but not sweet, coffee, and intend to use a popper: what beans or blend of beans?? has anyone a favourite blend he/she is willing to share?

COFFEECHASER

It is a really good idea from my (limited) experience to play around with single origins for a while before blending you get a little insight into a particular bean and its characteristics. Than can experiment from there and see how a bean changes depending on roast level. Your best bet is to buy a starter pack from bean bay and experiment with the four origins you will get. You may be lucky enough to get Indian Tiger Mountain in it, my fabourite SO. But a popper is a good way to start out. Although for your travelling lifestyle some of the small quantity roasters may be more up your alley. But a popper is a cheap way in and if it doesnt work out to be your scene than no harm done you can have coffee flavoured popcorn from it for a while.

Brett

yuck!!! ok, will have a think about all of this...
    cheers!

Lizzie,

I reckon a popper, an old food tin (chimney) and a wire strainer (for cooling) and youre on your way.

When I started roasting, I was immediately surprised how my first try with very little knowledge, still managed to taste very good.

I thought that perhaps I had just fooled myself into thinking it was great and tried a few more times. Still good!

Get some different bean, try some more. Still good.

I reckon over the last 3 years, Ive tried over 30 different coffees. Mostly Single Origins, sometimes a blend (already blended when green) and very occassionally, I will do a blend of my own.

At this point, I havent really met a coffee I didnt like. Obviously, I have my favourites, but EVERY* bean I have roasted myself is far better than anything I could get at a supermarket or many of the specialist coffee places.

*Well - apart from that batch that I incinerated ;-)

Give it a go. Nominate an address (via PM) and I will send you a kilo or 2 of something.

Go on - you KNOW you want to.

Brett.

aww shucks, you can be soooo persuasive!!
    ok, you convinced me... i will be looking around for a popper this week!
    now all i have to do is convince Rob i am doing this for both our benefit....
    hah!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1172461095/15#21 date=1172482950
    The problem with Calcium salts (causing water hardness) is they are very soluble - until boiled!!!

I run a water softener on my machine- but that would be a bit big and clumsy for you...... and the filters like you have get rid of the nasties- but dont reduce the calcium significantly....

So Id use the output of your existing filter and then pass it through a brita jug.... they do reduce the calcium (not totally like a water softener- but they make a real difference). Just remember they wont last as long as they do over East - where hardness is about 60mg/L compared to out 140mg/L in Perth - and outside of Perth many places are >300mg/L .....
    Much of Melbournes water is as low as 10 mg/L --very soft indeed. Although it can be twice that much --but still regarded as soft -- in the northern suburbs.

Nonetheless, I take no chances and have always used a Brita with its ion-exchange.

--Robusto

As Brett said, it aint that hard.
    Ive also enjoyed the taste of all the ones Ive roasted.

You asked about bean types, I recommend a PNG Peaberry as very nice tasting and very easy to roast.

ok, another one for the notebook!!
    thanks!

Lizzie,

Ive found all the new guinea beans are easy to roast and taste really good....

In fact all the beans from BeanBay Ive ever had tasted really good.... even one some people said might taste/smell a bit like damp socks - Monsooned Malabar...

It is now my wifes favourite coffee!!

Quite some journey you started when you logged on here!

bitten by the bug, smitten by the ...uhhh... hmmm :)
    being Dutch-born, coffee has always had a huge part to play in my day to day life, and the disappointment when i cam to Australia in 81 and found that the only coffee to be had here was very stale ground italian coffee or ;p Help :p International Roast, was enormous .
    i eventually started using nescafe green (very strong, with Carnation milk...), which is , at least for me, by far the nicest instant.
    gradually more coffee became availalbe, particularly in the NE of Victoria, which has a big Italian population. So, i had slow drip coffee, Turkish coffee, stove top espresso... and bad dripolator coffee.
    When the first readily available espresso machines came on the market, i bought a Gaggia, and thoroughly enjoyed my coffee again.
    and then, we bought a bus... and there was space problems, as well as power issues... so the Gaggia was sold.
    one bus and 3 years later: bigger bus, (with side board!!) better power arrangement, and the availablilty of a lovely small Gran Gaggia persuaded the man of my dreams that real coffee could be had en-route.
    and now, the next instalment.... life is for living!! what works, you keep;what doesnt, you let go... or sell on eBay!
    and the journey continues.... it is all good!

Hey Lizzie
    Im using a Kambrook popper which my daughter gave me for Christmas. It works really well. When its starting up I give it a gentle stir to help it along so that the beans on the bottom dont get over done, and then once it gets the swirling around and up and down thing going, I tilt it back a bit to get even roasting.
    Ive had good results with Costa Rican, Columbian and Kenyan. The first two can cope with going a little way into the second crack and the Kenyan likes a slightly milder roast. About to try Brazilian.
    At $9 a kilo its a good deal for a 20 min job every second day- yeah thats about 750g a week!
    Brett

wow, this is womans dream.. go and compare prices in various shops for various items and come home with the goods!! Breville vs Kambrook...or anything else i might find in Cash Converters! :)
    Rob just came home and was told in detail about todays decisionmaking process...
    i think he is bit non -plussed... bet he never smelled fresh roasted coffee!!
    i am looking forward to this, and , although it would be just worth it for the fun value, it is really the best option for us travelling people...
    so silly i never thought of it before!!

Gday Lizzie,

Just my two bobs worth ;D.

Id drop Andy a PM and see if he has any Starter Packs left over. If so, this is a great way to try out a few different coffee varieties and to get an idea which way your taste preferences may lie. You get four different beans for a total of 2.5 Kgs for only $20.00 + Freight.... Great value.

And as some of the other CS-ers have already mentioned, probably better to stick with Single Origins for a while until you have the roasting expertise down pat then, go for it and try a few blends. And if youre going to be in the big smoke relatively soon be sure to make arrangements to touch base with a couple of the members there and they will be able to give you some practical pointers on how to get the best out of the roasting process. Youll be surprised at just how easy it really is and why youve waited so long to give it a go.... I know thats how it was with me anyway :P.

All the best and Happy Roasting Adventures,
    Mal.

Good suggestion Mal.... and if Lizzie gets her order in before this months shipment to Epic closes.....

Lizzie
    If in Perth on the 16th you could meet us at Epic for a great coffee or two and a chat whilst we all collect our BeanBay beans...... and you will get half price shipment as well!

starter pack ordered, hunting cap on, out the door , serching for poppers....
    watch this space!!
    6 days to go....

sorry guys, i will be in Perth 24th march. picking up my daughter from the airport. if i leave here really early i may get a chance to do some shopping, but she arrives 2.15 pm, so smack in the middle of what could have been a shopping day.
    but, from april 7th we will be in Baldivis for 2 months...

ok, went to town... and bought a kambrook popper. had the opportunity to see the Breville and Kambrook side by side, and also compare fan strength as well as heat... nice people at retravision...
    there is not much, if any, between them in those respects and if you look inside, the "oven" looks exactly the same: vents, botttom profile identical,even the mounting screws are in the exact same position. wattage is also same on both machines
    after that comparison, i had to look at size for ease of storage and therefore took the Kambrook.
    robs still not too sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie link=1172461095/45#48 date=1172638618
    robs still not too sure....
    Wait til he tastes the coffee.... hell be at you to get the next roast going ;) ;D

Mal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast