Thread: what are my options. need an espresso machine, just espresso

what are my options. need an espresso machine, just espresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have been around for a while (and into coffee for much longer) just not posted much.

Right now I am looking to downsize from a somewhat unnecessary commercial machine to something more petite and purely for espresso (and variants such as ristretto).

I know of a few options, but there are bound to be a few I have missed.

So, what is out there (preferably WITHOUT steam wand)? Something with low thermal mass and built in heating would be my first choice, but I am considering all options. Time to heat up is an issue with my current setup.
    Doesn't need to travel.

Post here, PM me, whatever.

The rancillio silvia sounds pretty good for you. It does have a steam wand, but I think most machines will have a steam wand. Similarly any other single boiler would be a good fit, such as the Diadema Perfetta (my machine) or Isomac Zaffiro, both of which have commercial E61 group heads. I think it's a good idea to have the steam wand, in case you ever want to make coffee for anyone else, or want a hot chocolate, or a piccolo, or a macchiato etc.

Are you able to visit a sponsor to get their advice? Also nice to get some hands on experience with the machine before you purchase.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    As you don't want a steam wand, and haven't ruled out a machine without built in heating, the Baachi Espresso might be worth thinking about (only if you have a gas stove). Makes great espresso, within 5-7 minutes of deciding that you want one. Not for everybody, but might be worth a look.

Thanks for the responses.

Reading them I realise a bit more information is in order as I have not really narrowed down my requirements much. Sorry about that.

My current machine is an 11 litre two group that takes quite a while to get to temperature and I find that getting great espresso, while possible, is made harder because it is a dual purpose appliance.

Most espresso machines are designed to make espresso AND steam milk. These two requirements conflict and the solutions either involve complexity I don't need, or make it harder to achieve my main goal which is making good espresso.
    In the last couple years I have made three milk coffees and around two thousand espressos. Clearly steaming milk is not high on my priorities and that is one reason I plan on downsizing.

Stove top heating is an option, but temperature control is awkward and I don't know of any stove top devices that make 'true' espresso.

I am currently leaning towards a used Caravel. an ES-2 is also an outside possibility, but I don't know anywhere I can try one. Portaspresso perhaps. Also Airspresso or Rossa Air Espresso (not really true espresso and the airspresso is a bit fiddly).

I seem to have an inclination towards the truly simple devices without pump or pressure boilers.

So what other machines have I missed? I know most people want milk, so most machines are made with that in mind, but there have to be other weirdos like me or they wouldn't have made the machines I am already considering.

Cadan has a La Peppina lever for sale. Very simple in design and apparently makes great espresso. No steam wand which counts me out.

Perhaps you may find something like the La Pavoni lever or a Ponte Vecchio to your liking as these machines extract espresso without pump noise fanfare.

A properly extracted espresso from a lever can be heavenly and therapeutic in more ways than one.

TC
    VBM Domobar Piccolo with Scace calibration (or PID and SSR) = deadly shot machine.

We can do either.

If you are seriously into your shots , and have the budget, then a lever machine must be on the shortlist !
    Izzo, Bosco, L1, etc etc would no doubt satisfy your taste, ..but would hurt your pocket too.
    PS:-- It would help to know you budget in order to make realistic suggestions. !

TC
    The OP has posted in the $500-1500 bracket, hence our suggestions.

Considering that you have a commercial machine; I assume you already have grinder and tamp.

On a very small budget get a Gaggia Classic. It should be good for you for 5+ year before aluminium corrosion issues.
    Otherwise a Rancillio Silvia would be a good choice.

If you wanted to change everything a Lelit Combi is pretty good size with build in grinder. Fairly small footprint and 3-5min with flushing to heat up. But you will need a 57mm tamper.

I'd also suggest a La Pavoni lever. Love mine. It can do milk but it's really an afterthought.

+1 on the VBM Piccolo for shots. E61 group head, single boiler, 30min heat up with a tea towel over the group head all makes shots pretty easy.
    It can do milk drinks but definitely isn't its strong suit.
    Very happy with mine.

I like my Isomac Zaffiro, it's a Single Boiler E-61 machine, it has steaming capability same as other single boilers but you can just ignore that switch It is a really consistent performer for espresso, also has a little more flexibility than most SB machines as it has an adjustable thermostat, and also has a larger boiler than most other single boiler machines which makes for better intra-shot temperature stability.

If you like levers though it's going to be hard to go past one of the little La Pavoni levers.

Are you looking for Romance too? I had a great 'relationship' with my La Pavoni Euro. It *could* steam milk, but I rarely needed to. It also fits the bill at being able to come up to temp pretty fast (especially in comparison to your 2 group).