Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Journeyman
  • 1 Post By Vinitasse

Thread: Old Oscar

Talking Old Oscar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

I've inherited (borrowed) an older Nuova Simonelli Oscar. It seems to be an unknown quantity and since I've traded in the long blacks for espresso shots, I'm getting the feeling something isn't right with the machine.

The main problem seems to be with extraction time, it's a stock Oscar so I'm not sure on any temps or pressures. The pour starts out nicely, but within 15 seconds it's really gushing out. I'm dosing 20g doubles and have tried larger doses but it doesn't seem to really help. Is this perhaps an issue with too much pressure (I recall seeing a video with an Oscar increasing up to 15-20bar and an OPV valve seemed to steady it around 9bar)

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by soccerstuie; 4th October 2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Mixed up units. bar/psi.

Have you check your puck for holes or channels after you have pulled the shots?

also, how does it taste to you?

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Have you check your puck for holes or channels after you have pulled the shots??
    Yeah, I've not noticed anything wrong with the pucks. Probably a little bit sloppy lately, but that's probably because I've pushed the limits of the grind fineness, trying to get the extraction to slow down.

also, how does it taste to you?
    Ah, the subjectiveness of my naive palette. I've been trying to discern the difference between bitter and sour (any ideas on learning the difference would be welcome. Pathetic, I know).

I'm going to go with sour and say, there's a very prominent sourness to the coffee, it's overpowering, no way you could pick out other flavours.

Best way to define tastes is where it hits your mouth. I know the idea of different tastes in different parts of the tongue has been shown as not true but threshhold sensitivities in different areas ARE different. And if you're a wine drinker you know that certain tastes hit first in particular places. e.g. the slam into the sides of the mouth of a too-young shiraz can bring on a lemon-sucking look to a face.

So if you just concentrate on where you first get tastes it can tell you something about which flavour is which, and many people in the coffee world can relate the labels to the flavours for you.
    soccerstuie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstuie View Post
    Ah, the subjectiveness of my naive palette. I've been trying to discern the difference between bitter and sour (any ideas on learning the difference would be welcome. Pathetic, I know).
    Suck on a lemon = sour
    Bite into an apple or grape seed or make your self a cup of black tea with 4 teabags and steep for 5+ minutes and then taste = bitter
    soccerstuie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstuie View Post

I'm going to go with sour and say, there's a very prominent sourness to the coffee, it's overpowering, no way you could pick out other flavours.
    but most importantly, did you enjoy the coffee....

but most importantly, did you enjoy the coffee....
    Nope, it was nothing like a quality espresso from a decent barista.