Thread: Primadonna S Deluxe ESAM 6600

Primadonna S Deluxe ESAM 6600

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone, I'm new to all this so here goes... On the weekend I purchased the PrimaDonna S Deluxe ESAM 6600 which appeared to make fine coffee in store. Upon getting it home and setting it up in my kitchen - eagerly excited to try out my brand new automatic machine - I've found it quite impossible to make any sort of coffee at all, unless you consider a shot of coffee and an entire cup of froth an enjoyable coffee. Now I'm no coffee expert, and I understand that an automatic machine may not produce a perfect Café style Cappuccino or Latte, but the whole pushing one button and bam your coffee is made appealed to me. I've read through my manual, watched the DVD and searched online for people with similar problems. I've even contacted DeLonghi - with no reply yet - to see if this is a problem with my machine or if there is some way to tweak it. I've wasted milk and beans trying to make even a slightly decent Cappuccino but still no luck! I've fiddled around with the factory settings but still the cup overflows with froth before even the smallest portion - I'm talking tiny - of hot milk is actually added to my coffee. Does, or has, anyone ever owned this machine or have this problem? I'm completely frustrated, and extremely annoyed. The machine was certainly not cheap, and I'm still yet to enjoy a full cup of coffee.

My brother has a version of this machine and did mention some time back an issue he had with the milk heating. It was essentially due to a missing o-ring in the setup.
    I would suggest searching for a detailed parts list for the milk jug setup and just double-checking that all is where it should be.
    Even though a super auto may not produce great coffee, it really should not be producing a cup of froth. Hopefully it is just a setting or a part and not indicative of a machine problem. Good luck.

Was it the same one you saw in store or a new one you unpacked from the box when you got home?

I would be taking it straight back to the store and have them show you that it either does or doesn't work.

Yes brand new in the box. The one in the store had obviously been making coffees for a while. Upon more fiddling around I have discovered that the dial on the top of the milk container needs to be changed before its attached to the machine. This dial reads Cappuccino, Latte and Flat White. Flat white milk comes out with very little froth but also almost cold - I have read the manual and don't think it's possible to change the temperature of the milk, only the coffee. I was able to program the Cappuccino button to memorise my preferred amount of coffee to milk (it originally made very tiny cups of coffee) and by using the Latte switch on the milk container made a decent cap, with still a little bit too much froth, but that I scooped off. Still, can't complain all I did was press a button and it was done. The user manual says that it takes 4-5 cups of coffee and at least 1 Cap before it makes satisfactory coffee - although I think I've passed that. I'll continue trying, and fiddling around with the settings and see if this gets any better, otherwise I may just have to take a trip back to the store. All that aside, I'm enjoying my coffee for now.

Mate this is the issue with the automatics, they restrict the flow of milk through the steam nozzle, higher the restriction = more froth (higher temp) lower the restriction = flat white/latte and lower temp milk, fully auto machines are a con job, if they were any good most snobbers would have one. They are ok if you are happy with an average coffee at the touch of a button which these machines are good at but by the sounds of it you enjoy good coffee and I hate to say it these machines will not give you one.