Thread: Silvia grouphead hardware

Silvia grouphead hardware

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Decided to replace grouphead seal on a 2008 V2 Silvia as it had not been replaced since purchase in 2009. All went according to plan however on removing screw, water distributer and screen I noticed that the distributer is in 2 pieces (see image 2) and not one unit as shown on nearly all parts diagrams for Silvia's. I regularly clean all these components but have not really taken any close notice untill today. So the flange that sits on top of my washer should it be placed with the wide flange upwards as in image 1 or reversed with the large flange down as in image 3?? I took some photos the first time I removed the screen. I'm sure the large surface was up and thats the way it has always been reassembled, however the "all in one distributers" look like "little volcanoes" with the small flange facing upward. Do u think it makes a difference? I will prob just give it a try and see what happens but would be interested to hear from anyone with a similar age machine. I could just buy an all in one and that would solve the problem although I'm not sure that it is a problem??
    Thanks for any comments
    Cicarda
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like your flange split, you can see a very rough surface where it was joined, it should be installed small end up like image 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytheboot View Post
    It looks like your flange split, you can see a very rough surface where it was joined, it should be installed small end up like image 3
    mmm could be right there! A bit unusual but that is probably what has happened. Tried turning that flange in both directions and cannot really see any change however I'm guessing this break may be causing changes in pressure or flow rate so will invest in some new hardware and replace that big bolt!
    Thanks cicarda

I can confirm this, the splitter (the silver bit) has cracked for some reason, probably the screw was done up too tight and it broke due to thermal stress.

Morning Cicarda,

New water distributor available here for $18.15 Coffee Parts | Rancilio Silvia Coffee Machines Spare Parts Coffeeparts are good people to deal with.

Thanks all
    Have now replaced grouphead seal, water distributer, new screen, and did the mod on that chunky screw to remove it and replaced with countersunk version. Now It is better than new
    I can notice much more even flow of water through screen. Silvia is happy again and producing great coffee.
    Thanks Cicarda