Thread: New guy with a problematic EM6910

New guy with a problematic EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys and girls,

My name is Paul, and I have enjoyed using my EM6910 for the last couple of years. I came across the Coffee Snobs forum whilst I was searching for answers to my machines problem - and I am hoping somebody can help me out here.

It started two days ago when my wife was making a cup of coffee using the "double espresso" button on the control pad (we use this button all of the time). She said the machine was operating correctly, but at the end of the pour, it did not automatically stop and that she had to push the button again to manually stop the pour. I did not get to make my coffee until about two hours later, and when I pressed the power button to take the machine out of standby mode, it started making all the right noises and the power light started flashing faster (as it always did), but did not bring the machine into service. I have tried turning the machine off and back on, both by the power button and also at the power point, leaving it off for 36 hours to allow everything to cool completely, running the power up cleaning function (which will cycle hot water through the head), and restoring factory settings. Unfortunately for me, it still wont fully power up to be able to run a descaling clean through it - but I did dissolve a descaling tablet in the water reservoir and run a full reservoir through the power up cleaning cycle).

Does anybody know what else I can try, I am missing my Costalumbian and getting desperate .

Paul

If it was me I'd take it apart and see if all connections are OK and make sure the interior is clean and dry. While you have it open, (& disconnected from power) check wire connections as well.

It could be the circuit board has gone faulty - a new one from Sunbeam, online sites or even a cheap 'broken' EM6910 could solve the problem.

If you run the auto-cycle, does it start straight away? i.e. machine is off and cold, you hold down double & single and press power - how many times does it cycle the LED's before it starts the clean cycle?

Does the group head warm up while it is starting? (even if it never gets to 'Ready' stage?)

This sounds like the blown safety fuses on either the steam or brew thermoblock.

turn it on and see which one doesn't get hot.

Mine blew the steam fuse twice in the 3 years I had it.
    simple job to replace it if you can handle crimping electrical connections.

Thanks for the replies. Is there a service manual/diagram/tutorial on how to dismantle one of these ? Lights cycled twice before starting cleaning cycle. Group head heating up and water from cleaning cycle hot.

Steam side get hot?
    you should be able to feel the steam wand get hot where it attaches to the body

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...55123115,d.dGI

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter67 View Post
    Hi Guys and girls,

My name is Paul, and I have enjoyed using my EM6910 for the last couple of years. I came across the Coffee Snobs forum whilst I was searching for answers to my machines problem - and I am hoping somebody can help me out here.

It started two days ago when my wife was making a cup of coffee using the "double espresso" button on the control pad (we use this button all of the time). She said the machine was operating correctly, but at the end of the pour, it did not automatically stop and that she had to push the button again to manually stop the pour. I did not get to make my coffee until about two hours later, and when I pressed the power button to take the machine out of standby mode, it started making all the right noises and the power light started flashing faster (as it always did), but did not bring the machine into service. I have tried turning the machine off and back on, both by the power button and also at the power point, leaving it off for 36 hours to allow everything to cool completely, running the power up cleaning function (which will cycle hot water through the head), and restoring factory settings. Unfortunately for me, it still wont fully power up to be able to run a descaling clean through it - but I did dissolve a descaling tablet in the water reservoir and run a full reservoir through the power up cleaning cycle).

Does anybody know what else I can try, I am missing my Costalumbian and getting desperate .

Paul
    The ONLY common fault in older 6910 other than user ignorance is it's habit of destroying the temp thermostat / sensor unit every few years - a really cheap fix. As I do not know your location, I suggest you go through official SB channels to get it fixed. If you are in WA, the best repairer is in Hilton, whilst the Rockingham one damn near destroyed one of my 6910's by using a 6900 collar in the 6910 (and then abrogated all responsibility). Forced me to pull it apart and figure out how to do it myself, so I guess some good came of it.

Hope this helps

TampIt
    PS: If you are nearby, PM me as I do have a spare 6910 as a result.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ent-guide.html is how to replace a collar, but the procedure for dismantling is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ent-guide.html is how to replace a collar, but the procedure for dismantling is there.
    Journeyman, thanks for this procedure, and your suggestions. Robbks, thanks for the service manual. Hopefully, armed with these and a (uggg) cup of nescafe I should have a working machine again soon.

TampIt, I rang SB customer support who were not interested in even basic fault finding. They just wanted to pass me off to a service centre here in Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter67 View Post
    Journeyman, thanks for this procedure, and your suggestions. Robbks, thanks for the service manual. Hopefully, armed with these and a (uggg) cup of nescafe I should have a working machine again soon.

TampIt, I rang SB customer support who were not interested in even basic fault finding. They just wanted to pass me off to a service centre here in Melbourne.
    Hi Nutter67

Doesn't surprise me. I must have fluked one of the few good CS ones in SB initially (Natalie). The rest have been duds or worse (esp. Adam). My posts on Journeyman's "my new machine" detail my (mostly) unhappy experience with them.

FWIW, If you like tinkering, once you are inside the machine it is easy enough to figure the whole thing out. Reason I mentioned the thermostat is that a dead one will do everything except pour a shot... you can even froth milk if memory serves me well! Mine gave a quick whiff of electronics burning from the front left and a minute wisp of smoke first, evidently some do not even do that.

Only had it happen once to me, and CC Hilton assured me it is a 4 to 5 year $5 repair (or their $60 whatever "minimum service charge").

Cheers

TampIt