Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By okitoki

Thread: First Coffee Machine

First Coffee Machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I have been reading all the many of the suggestions however its time for me to buy a machine. I have considered the Silvia v3 and Breville DB. However, I would like to spend 1k and have a new machine. I just need something that is

1) very quick to heat up
    2) should be dummy proof cause I can imagine family members blowing the element in the Silvia cause it doesn't auto fill from what I read.
    3) non-pressurized basket (prefer 58mm)

what other choices are out there

also: what about the ECM Casa IV

EM7000 + free EM0480 grinder via redemption can be had for around $720 with a price match or ordered online. They didn't include any dual floor baskets this time. I added another $120 for a 5 year extended warranty. I am really enjoying this machine after having it a few weeks. It's a well built and has a lot of nice touches - and my wife may even be able to trained to use it so she's not dependant upon me for coffee.

Sivlia is a top machine and really built to last from what I've heard, but it takes a bit more skill and care too, particularly if you go from shots to steaming and back to shots, it could become frustrating in a hurry as you need the boiler to adjust between the two. It's very convenient being able to do them both independently without any waiting.

The Breville DB is likely a very nice machine too, but I'd hold off as they have just released or about to release a new model which addresses some issues with the original version.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Do you already have a decent grinder Javatime?

I think I will be getting a Mazzer grinder from a friend who recently upgraded. I think its their most basic model tho

Take a look at the Lelit PL041 and PL41 on offer from Jetblack Espresso
    Second Hand Coffee Machines

Or email our otehr site sponsors to see what deals they can do for similar machines

I have the Big Sister of the two above and it ticks all the boxes. But twice the price

I currently use a Silvia v3 and love it. It does take a bit of time to heat up which is a strike on your first point. You have to work with all the variables to pull a good shot but for me thats where part of the enjoyment is, tinkering and testing. I work in a cafe so that helps. (The other part is drinking it of course)

Not many bad points about the Silvia- maybe only a few minor ones. I guess for your needs it may not tick most of the boxes.

Ive never used the breville db but im sure it will be a bit more user friendly having 2 boilers as apposed to the Silvia with 1. (Temperature surfing is something else to fiddle with- & friends/family jumping on my machine have no idea (unless you've got a PID))

Sorry, dont have any suggestions. Havent seen the market in a while. Happy shopping!

You can't really do breville db and a grinder for 1K. You can do say a silvia v3 and rocky for that money, which is capable of great shots with a small amount of effort. If you want great shots without much effort your gonna be looking at more like 2-3K in my opinion with somethign like a mazzer grinder and 1.5-2k+ hx or dual boiler machine with an E61 head. Best you and yours learn to make good coffee on entry level and upgrade in 2-3 years when you have an understanding in my opinion. If you can stretch tp say a breville db and a smart grinder at a start (12-1300 last time I checked) that would get you started, but I see that option as something that will likely break within 3-4 years. Ok if you think you can pass it on before that, but I believe the silvia/rocky/or compak combo is a 10 year investment and will do the same job for less for longer if you don't need to make lots of coffees at once (ie need to brew and steam at same time)

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    The OP doesn't is apparently getting a Mazzer from a friend.....so the $1k is for the machine only I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    so the $1k is for the machine only I think.
    You can pick up a very good Twin Boiler from some of our site sponsors for that kind of cash...

Decided in the end to splash out abit and get the vbm domobar junior HX. Hoping it's more of a longer term investment with constant back flushing and regular maintenance . It will pay itself off as long as it lasts 2-3 years. From what I have read the build quality is decent prosumer range. Definitely excited as it's my first machine and it's probably overkill for someone who has never made a coffee in my life...

now time to get that free grinder...

Hi Javatime,

Sounds like you're getting some great gear there! Even the base model Mazzer grinder is very well regarded and built to last, and unless you abuse the crap out of the VBM it should also last you well into the future (much more than 2-3 years).

Since you are very new to the world of espresso making, may I suggest you book in for some training on how to use your new equipment. Will help speed up your path to coffee heaven, and avoid the early frustrations of fumbling your way through.

Enjoy

Finally got the machine. Looks all shiny and new. But didn't get the grinder yet. Do people usually dial in the coffee using the double or triple baskets.

Double..........

Also anyone know if I should get a tamping mat and tamper seat... How necessary are these items.. Besides the grinder and machine. I only got a stainless steel tamper and 600ml jug. What else do I need. Note: I will buy actual coffee cups for the christmas specials.

tamping mat is good to protect your table from damage, and gives a non slip surface to tamp easily...
    A tamper seat? like for holding the tamper when not used? I just hang my tamper on my grinder's PF fork holder... But it does look nice and fancy... specially some of the stainless steel ones ..

There was another thread about what else is needed... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...se-i-need.html
    pretty much if you have the cleaning stuff ready, then you should be good... the rest are all "nice to have, but not 100% necessary"

Have fun with your new toy

Just wondering if anyone has any idea which basket to use to start off. I currently have 5 portafilters, each with a basket. 2 ridged baskets with double and single spout portafilter attached and 3 non-ridged baskets with a single, double spout and no spout portafilter. Not to mention a blank disk, which I know is for back flushing. Two of the portafilters don't fit I dont think

still need to get a few things like the cleaning stuff
    Last edited by javatime; 13th November 2013 at 08:53 PM.

As Robbks suggested...

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks View Post
    Double..........
    the double basket (15-18g) are much easier to mess around compare to the single baskets for me... or go and get an after market baskets (not mentioning brand since it probably start another vs war )
    TampIt likes this.

Thanks for all the help. I will have to start using the vbm double basket with the vbm portafilter. There was some water so I'll have to wait out 24hrs.

I think they threw in two after market portafilters which have 22g baskets, one naked porrtafilter and a dual spout portafilter. I much prefer the after market ones as they are lighter than the stock ones but only wished they fit into the machine. I don't want to force too much. It won't turn any way close to what the vbm ones go.

Interesting note is that I got a machine that has a logo on the drip tray instead of the handle... hmmm... I think it looks better but probably kills functionality abit.

edit: Do people use surge protectors with the machines. I'm thinking a belkin surge protector.

IMG_0134.jpg

Here is my new machine with my new grinder which I got from a friend. Although I have almost chewed through 250g of coffee just dialing it in cause the arrows for course and fine were not what I thought they meant... ie. when I thought I was going finer... the grind was getting courser... but pretty much my first shot was okay besides being very very slightly fast on the extraction. Taste was slightly sour.. The grinder is a mazzer mini.

great set-up you've got there, is almost exactly the one i'd like after my EM6910 'stops working' (hopefully soon )

quick heads up about grinding finer... it is recommended that if you have beans in your grinder, to run the grinder when you are setting it finer... prevent the burr from "squashing" the beans, and end up damaging your burr and/or machine.

Also, unless you are the type who is adventurous enough to try it yourself, and watch a lot of videos on how to make coffee, it may be a good idea to go for a home barrister course to learn some of the basics... it may make your progress alot easier... good luck with the new machine... it looks great

yup that's the main reason I wasted so much beans.

Congrats, what a lovely machine to start your snobbery.

Dont forget you can swap baskets between the portafilters, they just press in. I would use the double basket as others have suggested and the naked PF, this will show any flaws in your technique (you can easily watch the extraction) and will help you diagnose and solve any problems you may encounter (chanelling etc). The naked PF is a also quick to clean as coffee doesnt really touch any part of it. Put the blind into another PF for quick and easy backflushing.

Strange your other PFs dont fit your machine if they came with it?

Cheers

Great set up there !!! I'm tempted to just buy one as my machine just died on me over the weekend !! but I must stop myself without going through the buying process!! must resist the temptation!!

finally making some decent microfoam after trial and error but I was wondering whether it is normal for the extraction dial on the right to go to 9bar when extracting water with no portafitler attached and some water going into the tray. Do I have some kind of blockage cause I back flushed after every coffee session

Quote Originally Posted by javatime View Post
    .... I was wondering whether it is normal for the extraction dial on the right to go to 9bar when extracting water with no portafitler attached and some water going into the tray..
    Yes, that is normal on many machines... (wrong to my way of thinking , but normal. )
    Its because the gauge is reading between the pump and the "giculeur" ( flow restrictor ) in the group,..rather than between the flow restrictor and the coffee puck.

What an initial setup, you'll have many established snobbers green with envy. Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    Yes, that is normal on many machines... (wrong to my way of thinking , but normal. )
    Its because the gauge is reading between the pump and the "giculeur" ( flow restrictor ) in the group,..rather than between the flow restrictor and the coffee puck.
    Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if this machine has enough power to steam say 4-500ml in a 1L milk jug. Only have a 600mL milk jug but considering a 1L milk jug. Also any ideas on dialing in on freshly roasted beans. ie. roasted same day. I brought a batch but I'm not sure if it should sit for a while to oxidise. I noticed the place where I brought a new batch of beans, they freeze the older beans. Typically I see places let it oxidise.