Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SniffCoffee

Thread: another "buying advice" thread - PV lusso or olympia cremina

another "buying advice" thread - PV lusso or olympia cremina

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys
    I've narrowed my next machine purchase to just two... ive decided to stay clear of the Bosco, pompeii, and londinium etc as well as restoring an old lever as I just don't have the bench space. So it's a toss up between a new PV lusso or second hand cremina.
    My habits involve turning on the machine and having a double shot latte in a thermal cup on my way to work and most afternoons another latte.
    On weekends I might have several piccolo lattes or espresso throughout the day. My girlfriend also has coffee more mornings then not and isn't so much of a snob as me.
    I have a Pharos grinder if that helps?

I know the biggest difference is the spring in the lusso, which my girlfriend likes the sound of due to the potential for repeated good shots.

If anyone could please help me in any way with this decision I'd be very grateful.
    Thanks!

TC
    You should nevertheless consider the Izzo Alex Leva before eliminating it...

I had a laugh. I've considered it. A beautiful machine. I love the open spring group with the simple dipper design. Proven to work well... I just really don't have the $ for one.

I guess what I was after is there any noticeable difference in the cup when both are preparing a milk based drink?

Quote Originally Posted by DScanes View Post
    I guess what I was after is there any noticeable difference in the cup when both are preparing a milk based drink?

That's a tricky one. The impression I've picked up over the years on this forum is that differences 'in the cup' won't be detected when you add milk to the shot.

The Cremina is great for making a couple of shots, but won't be happy to sit on all day waiting for you to pull a shot. It's a dipper style and although the newer ones have a thicker seal between the boiler and group head, the group head itself will overheat and start to burn the coffee after a couple of shots (or after sitting on for a couple of hours).

The Lusso has the benefit of a thermosiphon which will keep the group head stable during the day and let you pull successive shots without the group overheating. So it will be happy to sit on all day at the weekend when you're pulling shots during the day.

The Lusso will take a little longer to heat up given its larger 3 litre boiler. Both steam milk fine, you just have to be careful with the Cremina to keep the element on whilst steaming so that you don't lose too much pressure.

The Lusso's spring takes one variable away but you can tweak pressure with the Cremina.

So really, you need one of each!

Both are relatively tiny, so won't take up space. The biggest issue will be price and quality of build. The Lusso is a bargain but the build quality can be iffy. I didn't like the valves used on the steam and hot water taps. Replacing the seals in the Lusso is probably easier that in the Cremina, provided you borrow Jack at Sorrentina coffee's seal changing tool.

The Cremina has a much better valve mechanism on its steam arm, and its build quality is second to none. It just costs an absolute motsa compared to the Lusso.

Both will make great coffee. It just takes time to get to know the machine and make the most of it. The Pharos is a great start too.

Hope that helps

Sniff
    KopiOkaukau likes this.

Thank you very much for your opinions and advice. It's greatly appreciated
    I think I've decided on the lusso.