Thread: Upgrading from Silvia, suggestions?

Upgrading from Silvia, suggestions?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. I've been relatively happy with my Silvia over the past 3 years. I have a Behmor roaster and an old la Pavoni grinder. I get a bit frustrated temp surfing when making more than a cup just for myself. I've contemplated a PID but am currently exploring the chance of upgrading. Before I confuse myself with the vast array of options, I thought I'd get some advice from those in the know. If I could pick up a tidy used machine, what would you suggest I look for? I mainly drink milk based coffees, just 1 or 2 cups a day, so spending 2500 on a new machine seems a bit extravagant. Any suggestions appreciated.

Yes, its extravagant, but hell yes!

a HX or Dual Boiler machine will give you what you need to make espresso and steam at the same time. It sounds like a simple thing to be bugged about, but it really does get your coffee out much sooner that waiting for the boiler to come up to temp to steam, and down again if you want to do it all again. When I had my silvia, I often ended up making a milk based for my guests, then it felt like a task to make my own!

Breville Dual Boiler will do what you want, I think they are around $1k, so will a Nuova Oscar, its a HX, and in my opinion a more commercial oriented machine inside (better), I also think the oscar looks hideous, so decide on form or function here ;-)

A used VBM or Rocket HX machine are all great investments, if they have been looked after. you'll pay around $1500+ for anything loved. new will cost ~$2500, so really starting to stretch the budget there. There is also a few Bezerra machines that look the business as far as having the bits you need, but look a bit vanilla and commercial in my opinion.

You could always get a second Silvia - one for espresso and one for steaming, and you'd have a two group setup at home ;-)

I upgraded from Silvia to Isomac Zaffiro (SB E61) to VBM Domobar Junior (HX E-61), I've been very happy with the E-61 group machines, bought my VBM new from Chris at Talk Coffee for ~$2100.

If you keep an eye on the secondhand forum you'll often find E-61 HX machines pop up for ~$1500-1800.

Got a VBM Domobar Junior HX a few days ago as my first machine and liking it alot. Where are you located? They can be had for just under 2k in Sydney

edit: new price
    Last edited by javatime; 15th November 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by javatime View Post
    Got a VBM Domobar Junior HX a few days ago as my first machine and liking it alot. Where are you located? They can be had for just under 2k in Sydney

edit: new price
    Can you PM where you are getting them? I live in sydney

thx