Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gonzob
  • 2 Post By Yelta

Thread: Silvia with a Precision basket - a new woman!

Silvia with a Precision basket - a new woman!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well, I'm surprised.

I 've had Miss (PID'd) Silvia for a while now and have been using an 18g Synesso basket. I've had a Sunbeam 4050 grinder, followed by a Breville SG, and now a Baratza Preciso. I recently read a couple of threads here which mentioned the Precision basket. It's not expensive, so I bought one. I have to say the service/delivery was excellent, but that was nothing compared to the difference in brewing performance.

It took me a while dial in the settings, and I'm still learning, but the key thing for me with this basket is that it seems to smooth out all the other variables. I can now produce much more repeatable results, and see the difference between small changes in grind/qty/tamp. The previous results were more haphazard, and consequently infuriating.

The most significant change is that I needed to back off the grinder quite a few notches. I previously thought that the basket was pretty much a strainer to keep the grinds out of the cup (well, maybe a bit more than that, but you get the idea), and that the grind was a separate variable. I was wrong.

So, I'm pleased with my new woman. I hope SWMBO doesn't read this.

Gonzo.
    TC and smokey like this.

Great stuff Gonzo, as you have no doubt read in other threads I'm quite a fan of Precision baskets, easy to use, excellent results in the cup and reasonably priced.
    Never used Synesso so cant comment.

Which one fits to Silvia? They have two sizes there -double 14-18g and triple 18-21g.
    I am thinking about the triple one but not sure whether it will fit into Silvia's portafilter.

The Precision basket I bought was a 14-18 gram double. It fits in the standard Silvia portafilter.

I also have a Silvia triple basket, which appears to be the same height as the Precision one (28mm), but it only fits in my naked portafilter. It doesn't fit in my standard portafilter.

Hope this helps. Probably best to talk to the supplier.

Gonzo

Quote Originally Posted by gonzob View Post
    The Precision basket I bought was a 14-18 gram double. It fits in the standard Silvia portafilter.

I also have a Silvia triple basket, which appears to be the same height as the Precision one (28mm), but it only fits in my naked portafilter. It doesn't fit in my standard portafilter.

Hope this helps. Probably best to talk to the supplier.

Gonzo
    Got the basket . Yep, it does look and feel different from the stock one. Nice to touch, smooth surface inside, seems to give more predictable results. ... Nice...(just pretending to be Borat)

Note that sze wise this 'double' basket is really a triple. I can put around 23 grams there.

I would recommend it - especially if you pick it up or get some other stuff there like gasket seal. Otherwise, delivery fee is more than the basket.

Just ordered mine recently and waiting patiently for them to come so i can give them a shot!

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by viktor View Post
    Got the basket . Yep, it does look and feel different from the stock one. Nice to touch, smooth surface inside, seems to give more predictable results. ... Nice...(just pretending to be Borat)

Note that sze wise this 'double' basket is really a triple. I can put around 23 grams there.

I would recommend it - especially if you pick it up or get some other stuff there like gasket seal. Otherwise, delivery fee is more than the basket.
    Confirming that the double is the go for a standard Silvia p/f. They're a little deeper than some doubles I have seen, but they are no way a triple. How you'd get 23g into one, I don't know.

When posted, these go in an Auspost 500g satchel at about $9.50. As they're beyond 20mm they cannot be sent by letter and sorry- but the time involved creating suitable packaging to post just one would be far in excess of the margin on it- so yes- fill up a post pack.

viktor- I'd reckon your partner probably used $9 in fuel and 90 min getting to and from us...

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Confirming that the double is the go for a standard Silvia p/f. They're a little deeper than some doubles I have seen, but they are no way a triple. How you'd get 23g into one, I don't know.
    Just try it for yourself... Digital scales... Empty portafilter - and reset scales, Fill in as much coffee as you can (so that pluck has a bolt head imprint after the brew) - ant it shows up to 23 g for me (measured before the brew).

Put is this way - if this basket was 1 mm taller - it would not get into Silvia's portafilter.
    And yes - pick up only makes sense if you driving past this place anyway. Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by viktor View Post
    Just try it for yourself... Digital scales... Empty portafilter - and reset scales, Fill in as much coffee as you can (so that pluck has a bolt head imprint after the brew) - ant it shows up to 23 g for me (measured before the brew).

Put is this way - if this basket was 1 mm taller - it would not get into Silvia's portafilter.
    And yes - pick up only makes sense if you driving past this place anyway. Blah.
    If the PUCK has a bolt head imprint after the shot I suspect you are well and truly over dosing.

A friend of mine has a V3 Silvia and is sometimes complaining about dosing with the stock baskets.
    I'd like to get him to try better baskets, can someone provide a link to the precision baskets suitable for a Silvia please?

Isn't a "slight" indentation an indication of just right for the Silvia? I agree if its a deep mark then its a definitely over dosed.

Too much
    ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1385628061.127664.jpg

Vs just right?
    ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1385628173.003086.jpg
    *not mine but taken off google search

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Isn't a "slight" indentation an indication of just right for the Silvia? I agree if its a deep mark then its a definitely over dosed.

Too much
    ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1385628061.127664.jpg

Vs just right?
    ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1385628173.003086.jpg
    *not mine but taken off google search
    Just right looks well over dosed to me, the screw/bolt is there to hold the shower screen on, its not meant to be used as a dosing indicator.

The 5 cent test also works with Silvia.

Quote Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
    A friend of mine has a V3 Silvia and is sometimes complaining about dosing with the stock baskets.
    I'd like to get him to try better baskets, can someone provide a link to the precision baskets suitable for a Silvia please?
    Right here.
    Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts
    fg1972 and TC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Just right looks well over dosed to me, the screw/bolt is there to hold the shower screen on, its not meant to be used as a dosing indicator.

I did recall that when I dont have the dent, I would have a slight soggy puck and may have some water on top (under dosed). But when it has a light dent, it is nice, dry and solid;

However, at the end of the day, the coffee tasted good whether it is a good looking puck or not

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post

I recall all these threads about flat screen for silvia (so that bolt is hidden). Just google "silvia flat screen" to see what I am talking about.
    The whole reason for existence of that product is to make sure that there is no indent in the puck - and the underlying assumption is that when you dose properly, the indent is there (unless you buy the super duper flat screen).

I find with Silvia that if indent is there - the puck is dry after brewing and coffee has a lot of crema.
    If the dose is smaller - then the puck is wet and coffee is not so good.

Yeah, my experience supports viktor and okitoki on the indent/dry puck issue.

I've found a (small) fault with the Precision basket - it doesn't knock out as easily as the synesso, or the std silvia one. It takes two hits.

Gonzo
    Last edited by gonzob; 4th December 2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo

Ditto Gonzo, I've had my precision basket for a few weeks on my silvia and I just can't get the puck out first go thought I was going crazy haha

Quote Originally Posted by Pdockley View Post
    Ditto Gonzo, I've had my precision basket for a few weeks on my silvia and I just can't get the puck out first go thought I was going crazy haha
    Interesting, I use an 18 gram precision with my Bezzera and have no problem, knocks out first time every time.

Perhaps a bit of a polish with 2000grit wet and dry would help.